An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nashville Dominicans

shortnun

[quote name='Andrea348' date='Dec 2 2005, 06:02 PM']one of the sister's in ann arbor told me on a retreat that you should pick a community by it's charism, not by it's apostolate.
[right][snapback]808751[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Is it an either or? Yes, I agree about the charism but if someone feels she is called to be nursing than it seems to me that she should look into communities that do that or else she'll be frustrated.

For an active community, the apostolate is part of the charism. That would be like saying you could have dominican friars and preaching and teaching are secondary, I think. Contemplative communities are different.
I'm not saying that one shouldn't give up one's career if that is the place the Lord is calling you to. However, you were saying that Nashville was a hold up for some because of the differences in career.
Now, religious life isn't a career but the particular apostolate is a factor.

Anyway, this is a very fruitful discussion ! :)

[quote name='srmarymichael' date='Dec 2 2005, 10:46 AM']From a Vocation Director's point of view, you should look into where you are "drawn".  Many times that is God speaking to your heart!  :saint: [right][snapback]808323[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Thank you sister for your wonderful presence. I doubt I speak alone when I say your input is greatly appreciated.

[quote name='ThyHolyLove' date='Dec 2 2005, 12:10 PM']I just remembered a blog entry I wrote about the retreat at Nashville last October.
[right][snapback]808415[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
THANK YOU! I'm glad to read that your trip was truly filled with the working of the Holy Spirit.

[quote name='Susan' date='Dec 2 2005, 07:05 PM']Religious life isn't a career but the particular apostolate is a factor.

Anyway, this is a very fruitful discussion ! :)
[right][snapback]808809[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I agree on both comments! :)

AlterDominicus

[quote name='srmarymichael' date='Dec 2 2005, 09:46 AM']From a Vocation Director's point of view, you should look into where you are "drawn".  Many times that is God speaking to your heart!  :saint:
[right][snapback]808323[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Exactly my point in my first post, except I went beyond that! :blush: :P: :cool:

srmarymichael

[quote name='shortnun' date='Dec 2 2005, 07:25 PM']Thank you sister for your wonderful presence. I doubt I speak alone when I say your input is greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

You're welcome. All we can do (besides pray for each other and support each other) is share our experiences and try to help each other get closer to God and His Awesome Love!!!

:grouphug:
(Group Hug!)

Edited by srmarymichael

AlterDominicus

[quote name='srmarymichael' date='Dec 3 2005, 10:02 AM']You're welcome.  All we can do (besides pray for each other and support each other) is share our experiences and try to help each other get closer to God and His Awesome Love!!! 

:grouphug:
(Group Hug!)
[right][snapback]809552[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

JUST to add on: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

:lol:

Hey, I've gotta question for you girls! Does anybody know if either the Nashvilles or the SMMEs wear profession rings? I mean, like, wedding bands, on their ring fingers?

I heart Bride of Christ symbolism. Sighhh :blush: :love:

AlterDominicus

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='Dec 3 2005, 03:40 PM']Hey, I've gotta question for you girls! Does anybody know if either the Nashvilles or the SMMEs wear profession rings? I mean, like, wedding bands, on their ring fingers?

I heart Bride of Christ symbolism. Sighhh  :blush:  :love:
[right][snapback]809882[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

YES! They both do! :P: :D: :lol: ^_^

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='Dec 3 2005, 04:40 PM']Hey, I've gotta question for you girls! Does anybody know if either the Nashvilles or the SMMEs wear profession rings? I mean, like, wedding bands, on their ring fingers?

I heart Bride of Christ symbolism. Sighhh  :blush:  :love:
[right][snapback]809882[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I don't think so... at least they didn't used to and there is no mention of it nor pictures of it on their websites for profession.
It wasn't the custom for Dominican sisters to. Even the nuns didn't used to for a long time but they do now.

Hmmmm ... maybe it's a newer thing? :idontknow:

Anyways ...

I love the Dominican habit, and habits based off of it (Srs. of Life, Sr. Servants,) because it's white, just like a wedding dress (which of course is what it is) western-style.

Who can be unhappy when they're a Bride of Christ? Only Sisters who forget the fact! :topsy: ^_^

I just emailed Sr. Mary Emily asking for vocations literature. :mail: (And I wanted an excuse to use that smiley.) Ironically enough, when I was moving out of my parent's house, I did a [u]major [/u]cleaning of my room. And in an effort to be a good cleaner, I threw away all my vocations mailings and old newsletters!
[i]
*reminds self to not daydream about the future, but to focus on doing God's will in the present* [/i]

God says: [b]BE HAPPY AND DANCE [/b]:banana:

srmarymichael

[quote name='shortnun' date='Dec 3 2005, 08:50 PM']I just emailed Sr. Mary Emily asking for vocations literature.  :mail:  (And I wanted an excuse to use that smiley.) Ironically enough, when I was moving out of my parent's house, I did a [u]major [/u]cleaning of my room. And in an effort to be a good cleaner, I threw away all my vocations mailings and old newsletters!
[i]
*reminds self to not daydream about the future, but to focus on doing God's will in the present*  [/i]
God says: [b]BE HAPPY AND DANCE [/b]:banana:
[right][snapback]810069[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Good. Sounds like you have peace with this step. ;)

I love it when I see people taking steps to try to do God's Will.
Isn't it awesome???! :topsy:

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

I go to Vanderbilt University in Nashville, and my parish is Cathedral of the Incarnation, which is where the Nashville Dominicans make their vows and stuff, and they are around the Cathedral at Mass or Adoration sometimes, too.

They are so awesome!!

[quote name='Ave Maria Totus Tuus' date='Dec 5 2005, 06:31 PM']I go to Vanderbilt University in Nashville, and my parish is Cathedral of the Incarnation, which is where the Nashville Dominicans make their vows and stuff, and they are around the Cathedral at Mass or Adoration sometimes, too. 

They are so awesome!!
[right][snapback]812573[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
YAY for the Nashville Dominicans indeed. I have a friend from high school who went to Vandy for undergrad (and is getting his MA there now). And when I asked him if he knew the sisters, he had NO CLUE what I was talking about. But then again, we're not always attuned to those sorts of things...... like you wouldn't notice a fully habited woman (especially in the Bible belt).