An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pray for Vocations

the_rev

We need to pray for holy vocations ot the priesthood for orthodox priests. That was what I found out today at this annual parish meeting at the novus ordo mass that I attend on the weekends. It was awful this parish priest here believes that there is no reason why the pope won't allow married priests or women priests. He doesn't think there is an incresae in vocations, and that there is a severe decrease which I full heartily disbelieve.

We need HOLY DIOCESEAN PRIESTS! PLEASE PRAY FOR THE LORD OF THE HARVEST TO SEND THEM TO US!

Rev,
Not sure what part of the country you are from, but here in VA there is a drastic shortage of diocescan priests. They are closing parishes all over the country. Many priests here cover more then one church. Very few are American priests, but are coming over from other countries. A few orders are getting vocations, but there are far more older, retired priests or those working part time, then there are young ones. Every month in our state we are loosing priests who are choosing to return to securlar life.
When I was younger, each parish had 3-5 priests. Now if there is 1 resident priest, consider themselves lucky. That is why lay people are more active in running parishes, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
That priest was right about the number of priests, things are in chaos in the church because of it. We certainly need to pray for the increase in numbers.

This has ALWAYS been something people should be praying for, but yes we do need them now as much or more than ever.

We must pray and trust that God will give us his harvesters.

I think that both you and Rev are correct on different points. Where I am from there is definately a shortage of priests. For example, one of the former associate pastor's from my parish was the pastor for SIX parishes and spent hours each week just driving between parishes (our archdiocese has a lot of rural parishes). Another former associate pastor for his second assignment is pastor of 3 parishes and of 2 stational churches as well. Furthermore, many of our older priests who are well past the retirement age are still serving as pastors simply because there is no priests to take their place! We definately need holy, orthodox priests!

However, I think the Rev is also right in saying that we are on the dawn of what I believe to be a new surge in vocations. So many youth and young adults from the "JP II generation" are discerning and answering God's call. More and more men are entering seminary and more and more women are entering convents. Praise be Jesus Christ!

They are, but it will take some time. :)

It is great though. I am impressed by the number of "vocations" that phatmass has of its own. There are already several sisters from the community, some seminarians, and a few others.

God is up to something ...

catholicflower

alice- r u in the Richmond diocese? Im from the Arlington and We have not closed/merged any parishes in fact we have a pretty good vocation rate (almost 30 in the seminary this year) and most parishes have 2 priests in residence. I know Baltimore and Richmond have had some probs though.

I am in the Richmond diocese, though further southwest of that. Not many religious orders out this far. We have three parishes here in the area of Roanoke, but they only have 1 priest in each. 2 of the parishes have foreign priests, not being critical of that, just saying there is such a shortage of American priests out here. The nun count is even worse, very few orders represented, and those that are live in apartments and wear no habit. :ohno: We have several seminarians in the diocese, but not many. All the more reason to pray for good, solid vocations!

My Diocese (Diocese of Jefferson City, MO) is having more every year too. I think not only a good Pope like John Paul who cared for the youth but also a great Bishop who knows that it is imporatant to get kids actively involved in the church to bring about vocations.

• 3 weeks later...
Ora et Labora

[quote name='the_rev' date='Dec 6 2005, 08:54 PM']It was awful this parish priest here believes that there is no reason why the pope won't allow married priests or women priests. 
[right][snapback]814285[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
While I think the church needs more good orthodox vocations, I also think it would benefit just as greatly by getting rid of priest like this one.

[quote name='Ora et Labora' date='Dec 25 2005, 01:41 PM']While I think the church needs more good orthodox vocations, I also think it would benefit just as greatly by getting rid of priest like this one.
[right][snapback]835819[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
^ ^ ^
| | |

That was me, not Ora. Sorry.

Though many diocese's have a shortage of vocations I can definitly attest to a small surge. My diocese alone has increased the men entering the seminary by about 200% in the past 3 years. The diocese south of us has shot up even higher.

It really depends a lot upon having a good bishop/vocation director. We do not have a Bishop currently but our Vocation Director is amazing; very young and orthodox. :lol:

she_who_is_not

I was having a conversation about this with someone at my church and she actually said that she didn't want this one young man who felt he might have a vocation to be a priest because he was too conservative. I didn't really know what to say to this but I hope that he doesn't become discouraged due to lack of support.