An Old School Catholic Message Board

Guns, Guns Guns

Winchester

Should civilians have the right to own firearms?  

159 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here's a powder keg issue.

I'll go out on a limb and say objectively, restriction of weapons can be a right of the state for the common good. However, seeing that the human person has a right to self defense, adequate weaponry to defend against current situations (whatever they may be) must be secure. In the US, I argue citizens should have the right to most rifles and handguns, without licences or registrations.

I think people should be allowed to have weapons, but it should be restricted. There needs to be detailed background checks and licesnure should be mandatory. Making sure everyone who buys a gun is trained how to use it is a good idea too. Also, I think small weapons are more appropriate for home defense. I don't know how comfortable I'd feel knowing there was a shotgun or something big like that in the house. I don't know alot about weapons, but I would guess (and it's only a guess) that larger weapons are more difficult to use, increasing the likelihood of an accident.

Kilroy the Ninja

Frankly, a shotgun is probably the best defense for a home.

Remember a handgun is only good for fighting your way back to your rifle or shotgun which you should have picked up in the first place.

I'm probably biased on this as my father was a gun-smith and now makes bombs for a living. (Legally!!!)

Oh, and I'm a fairly good shot too.

So, guess which way I voted.....

:):P:Plol_grin.gif :ph34r:

Don John of Austria

Well I pt an unrestricted right however I would like to qualify that to weapons other than WMD, particularly nuclear weapons which I do not believe can be used in a moral way by anyone at anytime. They like genetic enginerring is fruit of a forbidden tree. however until the alcohol wars of prohibition it was accepted in this country that it was a basic right to own battlefeild weapons including machine guns and cannon, I fail to see how that should change, a militia can't stand up to the government if it can't be armed like them. Please do not tell me that the National Guard is the militia, anyone who has read Madison knows that is not what he meant when he wrote the amendment, The Supreme Court has also acknoledged that that was not what was intended. ( a case in the thirties involving a sawed off shotgun, the defendent lost becxause a sawed off shotgun could not be shown to have militia use, Had it been a machine gun he would have won, very interesting reading, that decision.

Jake Huether

Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

If it wasn't guns, then it would be knives. If it wasn't knives, it'd be pitch forks and shovles.

Heck, if we're afraid of people abusing "weapons" we might as well restrick forks and spoons.

I don't think we need to pep up restrictions on guns in order to secure peoples safety. I think we need to pep up our funding for promoting a culture of life - including, but not limited to, free public classes on NFP, Abortion education, and general morality 101.

When people start thinking they're safe, then they won't need/want to get weapons. It starts in our heads.

Nazi Germany and current day England are a classic example of what gun control will do. The only way I will ever give up my guns is when they pry my cold dead fingers from around them.

Peace,

Marcus

IcePrincessKRS

I voted "Yes, but restricted to small arms, including military style rifles"--I thought that included rifles and shotguns... somehow the term "unrestricted" brought to mind things like massive machine guns and grenade launchers, and I don't really think that the average Joe off the street needs or should have a grenade launcher. However, if thats not what that meant then I probably voted wrong.

hyperdulia again

Nazi Germany and current day England are a classic example of what gun control will do. The only way I will ever give up my guns is when they pry my cold dead fingers from around them.

Peace,

Marcus

I'm ag...ag...agreeing with mp.

I am getting my permit when I turn 21 to carry a gun! With lots of training of course..... mom used to take me out to the gun range and practice.

hyperdulia again

Are you from the south?

Last time I was home (last weekend) Mamma (who's preggers) and Deddy (who's crazy) were letting my four y/o nephew shoot cans in the backyard. I called my sister.

"You have the right to bear arms, you have the right to arm bears, whatever the heck you wanna do." - Robin Williams