An Old School Catholic Message Board

Guns, Guns Guns

Winchester

Should civilians have the right to own firearms?  

159 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Law abiding citizens should be able to have them.

Street gangs should not.

Right!

Which is why restrictions are needed! Or anyone can get them.

Maybe its a NorthEast thing, but I don't know too many people who have one in their home. But most of you seem to. Remind me not to make any of you mad! :)

Law abiding citizens should be able to have them.

Street gangs should not.

Well that comes to the heart of the issue in my mind. Gangs will aways be armed. Gun restiction will not work because criminals would not obey the law and turn their guns in. That is/was the mentality that England has. All gun restriction has done for them is to leave the crimanals armed and the law abiding unable to defend themselves. I for one would like to have the option of being able to defend my family rather than to be at the mercy of an armed criminal.

Az, it's easy for people such as Robin Williams to speak out for gun control when they don't live in the real word anyway.

Az, it's easy for people such as Robin Williams to speak out for gun control when they don't live in the real word anyway.

Don't put words in my mouth. I just remembered that line and thought it was funny.

Although being able to hunt with armor piercing bullets isn't quite fair for the bears. I t'aint ever seen a bear with a bullet proof vest.

Az, I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. I just know that Robin Williams is another one of those hollywood elitists that think they know what is best for the rest of society.

Not really, but then that's just me. I get the meaning that he is trying to convey and to me it isn’t funny. But if it makes you laugh then I'm happy for you.

:lol:  glad to know I could help someone smile. :P

Yep, it definitely did make me smile!

I happen to think Robin Williams is hysterical. His George Bush jokes made me laugh so hard I cried when I first heard them. I'm sure it helped that I'm not a Bush fan! :P

My brother and uncle are armed law enforcement officers. My uncle has been wounded several times in shootings. Both of them would advocate allowing guns with restrictions, licensing, etc. I cannot fathom the justification for civilians to be able to purchase armor piercing fire-arms or automatic weapons.

Military weaponry so far out-classes legally available weapons, that the militian as a self defense arguement is ludicrous. A shot gun is a horrible choice for self defense in a residence. Hand guns are easier to abtain by keeping them in close proximity. Shotgun field of destruction are too broad to be contolled properly and will send pellets through interior walls and doors. Also, people usually discover home invaders in close proximity making the use of a rifle unwiedly and slow.

mp15,

What statistics or foundation do you have that regualting fire-arms have allowed England's criminals to run rampant with the law enforcement unable to defend themselves?

hyperdulia again

there's a book that changed my mind on the English thing, I don't remember the name, but it is statistically clear that while crimes by first time offenders don't usually involve guns anymore, the hardcore criminals still have them and use them at only a slightly reduced rate.