An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocation Books

the_rev

TheOliverOrder88

The Bible(continual)
The Catechism(continual)
Confession by St. Augustine
Interior Castle by St. Teresa of Avila

Currently reading: The Cloud of Unknowing and Mere Christianity. Both are very good, just to give me a more clear understanding of how big and complex this Great God is.

MC IMaGiNaZUN

[u]gift and mystery[/u] by pope john paul ii. i havent read it yet, but one of the brothers bought it for me when i was at the interview.

[u]confessions[/u] by st. augustine is always good.

[u]the courage to be catholic[/u] by george wiegal. my former spiritual director recommended that book for me. and i did read it.

for girls discerning, [u]the way of perfection[/u] by st. therese of avila is always good.

dark night of the soul, won't really help you much at all with discerning. I recommend it for people who are discerning, or who want to take their relationship with God to a whole new radical level. but the content is just so in depth that it goes way beyond discerning religious life, into deep intimacy with God, and its pitfalls and joys.

SHALOM

The Contemplative Life by Fr. Thomas Philippe, OP
Come and Follow Me by Fr. Stefano Manelli, FI
Monastic Practices by Charles Cummings, OSCO
And You Are Christ's by Fr. Thomas Dubay
On Marriage (talks also on vocation in general and why you must understand marriage in order to understand vocation) by Dietrich Von Hildebrand.

[quote]gift and mystery by pope john paul ii. i havent read it yet, but one of the brothers bought it for me when i was at the interview.[/quote]

I have read this book and it is a great read! I loved it! I should read it again!

I recommend Cherish Christ Above All by Fr. Demetrius Dumm, O.S.B., (St. Vincent Archabbey, Latrobe, PA) The book was published in 1996 by Paulist Press, so I don't know how available it is. I got mine from eBay.
A good book for anyone interested in monastic life--not particularly a vocation guide, more of a primer on monastic spirituality in the mold of the Rule of St. Benedict. Easy to read and understand.

I'm reading [u]God With Us[/u] by Pope Benedict 16. I also plan on reading his book on the Liturgy. They aren't really about vocations but I they talk about the Eucharist and the Mass and how important they are.

For the girls, I recommend:
[u]Why I Entered the Convent
Melody in Your Hearts: A Sequel to Why I Entered the Convent[/u]
and [u]
A Seal Upon My Heart: Autobiographies of Twenty Sisters[/u]

which are all composed of essays written by religious Sisters about their vocations, how they made their decisions, etc. All three books are edited by Fr. George L. Kane

I also recommend [u]Dawn of A Consecration: Meditations for Young Sisters[/u] by Fr. Thomas Dubay. This book was written for girls who have just entered the postulancy; it provides an excellent window into what convent life is like.

[u]When God Asks for an Undivided Heart[/u] Fr. Andrew Apostoli
[u]A Priest Forever[/u] Fr. Benedict Groeschel

The first book is focused on celibacy/chastity within different vocations and the other is the biography of Fr. Eugene Hamilton. Both are good reads for anyone interested in a solid book.

A list of books for thos discerning a vocation to the Catholic priesthood

[url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/registry.html/ref=wlem-si-ht_gotowl/103-5252021-5366245?%5Fencoding=UTF8&id=3OH9MHQYM48Y"]http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/registry...id=3OH9MHQYM48Y[/url]