An Old School Catholic Message Board

I want to be a priest

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

Another youngun! Man, how I wish I was of a serious enough mind to consider the priesthood when I was 14. Do you realize that you could be an ordained priest by the age of 24 or 25 if you choose the diocesan route? That's amazing.

There are tons of great orders out there, man. I take heat for it, but I like the Jesuits. :)

the Jezzies!
my mother told me i would be a jesuit someday. i disagree :lol:

i have had bad experiences with jesuits because i have attended a jesuit parish and a parish serviced by jesuit priests. they seem to be the ones who are not orthodox (ie the pastor at the jesuit parish openly said he disregards church teaching on homosexuality), also a lot of jesuits seem to be commiting a lot of liturgical abuses especially the ones i know. but i think traditional jesuitism is great.

sam

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Well, you gotta find the one Christ is calling you to, but if you are looking for a place to start searching, try the nearest Adoration Chapel ;)

Orders to Check Into:

Institute of Christ the King
Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter
Marians of the Immaculate Conception
Legion of Christ
Clareitin Missionaires
Franciscan Friars of the Renewal
Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity

These are orders I'd suggest looking into... if I think of a few more while I'm shoveling I'll come back and write em here!

Slave_of_the_Trinity

I think that its amazing that your are considering the priesthood. O what a holy vocation!! If indeed it is Gods Will for you to be a priest you must on your part prepare yourself for a life of complete self sacrifice. Even though the suffering that come along with the priesthood are numerous you must never forget the joys and mysteries that envelope such a call.

Through the hands of a priest God Decends from His Throne in Heaven and transform mere bread and wine into His Most Precious Body and Blood!! The Mystery of the Eucharist is much more comprehensive than the Incarnation. The Sufferings of Our Lord in the Eucharist is much greater than what He endure on Calvary. On the Cross the Divinity of Christ was Hidden, but in the Eucharist both the Divinity and the Humanity of Christ are hidden. As a priest you will be called to ease the sufferings of Christ by introducing your flock to the King of Kings and the Lord of lords. THe Trinity will use YOU as an instrument, as a gateway to His Flock and through YOUR hands Christ will minister to His people. What a responsibility yet is it is the greatest of all vocations.

Even though the priesthood is a noble calling you must never let pride get the best of you. As Mother Theresa said to Fr. Groschel, you were chosen by the Humility of God. What that means is that God did not choose you because you were the best or the brightest, He chose you because you were the most insignificant and sinful of His creature. God chooses the weak to dumbfound the mighty. He chooses the poor and elevates them to humble the rich. Look at the saints, especially St. Augustine. St. Augustine was one of the greatest sinners but God transformed him into one of the greatest saints. Always remember God has a sense of humor like that! :thumbsup:

thanks eddie.

you talk much of the legionares of christ. i have checked their site but haven't found what they do. what is their charism?

[quote name='Slave_of_the_Trinity' date='Dec 14 2005, 06:31 PM']I think that its amazing that your are considering the priesthood.  O what a holy vocation!!  If indeed it is Gods Will for you to be a priest you must on your part prepare yourself for a life of complete self sacrifice.  Even though the suffering that come along with the priesthood are numerous you must never forget the joys and mysteries that envelope such a call. 

Through the hands of a priest God Decends from His Throne in Heaven and transform mere bread and wine into His Most Precious Body and Blood!! The Mystery of the Eucharist is much more comprehensive than the Incarnation.  The Sufferings of Our Lord in the Eucharist is much greater than what He endure on Calvary.  On the Cross the Divinity of Christ was Hidden, but in the Eucharist both the Divinity and the Humanity of Christ are hidden.  As a priest you will be called to ease the sufferings of Christ by introducing your flock to the King of Kings and the Lord of lords.  THe Trinity will use YOU as an instrument, as a gateway to His Flock and through YOUR hands Christ will minister to His people.  What a responsibility yet is it is the greatest of all vocations. 
[b]
      Even though the priesthood is a noble calling you must never let pride get the best of you.  As Mother Theresa said to Fr. Groschel, you were chosen by the Humility of God.  What that means is that God did not choose you because you were the best or the brightest, He chose you because you were the most insignificant and sinful of His creature.  God chooses the weak to dumbfound the mighty.  He chooses the poor and elevates them to humble the rich.  Look at the saints, especially St. Augustine.  St. Augustine was one of the greatest sinners but God transformed him into one of the greatest saints.  Always remember God has a sense of humor like that![/b] :thumbsup:
[right][snapback]825761[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

what you said strcuk me l. i really do believe that. God calls the most sinful and insignificant. i agree.

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Dec 14 2005, 04:38 PM']i want to be a priest. anyone want to recommned a good order to join?

Sam
[right][snapback]825699[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The Oratori of Saint Phillip Neri.

Slave_of_the_Trinity

Sam, what is it that you think God is calling you to do? What gifts or talents do you have? Are you the missionary/preaching type or are you more reserved? None the less i encourage you to look into Miles Christi. They are an awesome order. Im attending one of their Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius Loyola this weekend. Pray for me that i too may discern what it is that God is calling me to. I know im called to be a nun... but where? Ah if only a vocation came with an instructions manual!!! :lol_above:

[quote name='Slave_of_the_Trinity' date='Dec 15 2005, 11:47 AM']Sam, what is it that you think God is calling you to do?  What gifts or talents do you have?  Are you the missionary/preaching type or are you more reserved?  None the less  i encourage you to look into Miles Christi.  They are an awesome order.  Im attending one of their Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius Loyola this weekend.  Pray for me that i too may discern what it is that God is calling me to.  I know im called to be a nun... but where?  Ah if only a vocation came with an instructions manual!!! :lol_above:
[right][snapback]825784[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hehehe. You sound like me! I wrote to Mother about it quite a few months ago now, and she sent me back a letter saying "This is the printout Emily" and recommended some books by our Holy Father (God is near us, the Spirit of the Liturgy, the Salt of the earth, and so on.) Also, she later commented that He does come very near to giving us an instructional manual, its just that we get so caught up in the moment or the day, that we don't see Him working continously in our lives.

:D:

Slave_of_the_Trinity

You know your right. We do get so caught up that we dont take the time to hear the Gentle Voice of God in the Wind. Our Lord speaks to us constantly but we refuse to listen. We expect the voice to God to be in the storm, or in the thunder. We dont realize that our Lord uses what seems to be the most insignificant thing to us, to get His Message across.

i'm sorry i have to say this, but knowing them and their priests personally,
the legion's charism is money/vocation seeking and brainwashing. many on PM know about the legion.

i would recommend traditional orders.

Slave_of_the_Trinity

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Dec 14 2005, 07:52 PM']i'm sorry i have to say this, but knowing them and their priests personally,
the legion's charism is money/vocation seeking and brainwashing. many on PM know about the legion.

i would recommend traditional orders.
[right][snapback]825848[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

A priest friend of mine was discharged (i think that the word) from the legion for no reason at all. :ohno: dont go to the legion well unless your called to reform it. ^_^