An Old School Catholic Message Board

I want to be a priest

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

that might not be the greatest thing to say about the Legion. From what I have heard they are solid.

Sam do you think God is calling you to be a priest?

Kasper is not my favorite. thanks for the tip brendan. and i have heard other various negative things about them

yes i Do feel the lord is calling me to be a priest. Right now i am thinking FSSP.

[quote name='Slave_of_the_Trinity' date='Dec 14 2005, 06:47 PM']Sam, what is it that you think God is calling you to do?  What gifts or talents do you have?  Are you the missionary/preaching type or are you more reserved?  None the less  i encourage you to look into Miles Christi.  They are an awesome order.  Im attending one of their Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius Loyola this weekend.  Pray for me that i too may discern what it is that God is calling me to.  I know im called to be a nun... but where?  Ah if only a vocation came with an instructions manual!!! :lol_above:
[right][snapback]825784[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Do you speak of Miles Jesu? or Miles Christu?

[quote]Sam, what is it that you think God is calling you to do?  What gifts or talents do you have?  Are you the missionary/preaching type or are you more reserved?  None the less  i encourage you to look into Miles Christi.  They are an awesome order.  Im attending one of their Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius Loyola this weekend.  Pray for me that i too may discern what it is that God is calling me to.  I know im called to be a nun... but where?  Ah if only a vocation came with an instructions manual!!! lol_above.gif
*[/quote]

sure i will pray for you.

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Dec 14 2005, 07:52 PM']i'm sorry i have to say this, but knowing them and their priests personally,
the legion's charism is money/vocation seeking and brainwashing. many on PM know about the legion.
[right][snapback]825848[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
This is simply untrue and not very charitable to say. The Legion of Christ's charism is charity. They take vows of poverty. Poverty can be lived out in more ways than one!

[quote name='Slave_of_the_Trinity' date='Dec 14 2005, 07:59 PM']A priest friend of mine was discharged (i think that the word) from the legion for no reason at all. :ohno:  dont go to the legion well unless your called to reform it.  ^_^
[right][snapback]825858[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I don't mean to discount the negative experience your friend had, but I'm sure there was some reason. Sure, they're not perfect, they're a new order and definitely have some kinks to work out, but they are very solid and faithful to the teachings of the Church. Pope John Paul II was very close to the founder of the Legion of Christ.

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Dec 14 2005, 08:01 PM']they're great friends of cardinal kasper, and very ecumenical... i got that from a legionary priest. remember that, sam.
[right][snapback]825863[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I don't know who Cardinal Kasper is, but they are ecumenical in the same sense that Pope Benedict XVI is ecumenical. Ecumenism is certainly not their focus though, they focus more on evangelizing current Catholics.

TheOliverOrder88

Its not like he's got a small list of orders to pick from...

:P

Seriously, I would take a serious look into the diocesan priesthood...they need priest...badly.

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Dec 15 2005, 05:21 AM']im not considering the diocesean priesthood.
[right][snapback]826553[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Why not?

Slave_of_the_Trinity

[quote name='morostheos' date='Dec 14 2005, 08:36 PM']This is simply untrue and not very charitable to say.  The Legion of Christ's charism is charity.  They take vows of poverty.  Poverty can be lived out in more ways than one! 
I don't mean to discount the negative experience your friend had, but I'm sure there was some reason.  Sure, they're not perfect, they're a new order and definitely have some kinks to work out, but they are very solid and faithful to the teachings of the Church.  Pope John Paul II was very close to the founder of the Legion of Christ.
I don't know who Cardinal Kasper is, but they are ecumenical in the same sense that Pope Benedict XVI is ecumenical.  Ecumenism is certainly not their focus though, they focus more on evangelizing current Catholics.
[right][snapback]825928[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I dont mean to sound uncharitable at all and i apologize if i have offended anyone about my comments on the Legion. I was basing my opinion of what i heard from my spiritual director and other priests. I should study the order my self before making any comments on it. Im truly sorry. :weep:

no problem, I was mostly addressing brendan with the uncharitable comments - I don't think you were uncharitable :)

It's always important when you hear personal experience to take into account they are't always the most objective. Usually you just hear one side of the story, so it's up to you to try to find out the other side too.

Ora et Labora

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Dec 14 2005, 04:38 PM']i want to be a priest. anyone want to recommned a good order to join?

Sam
[right][snapback]825699[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:shock:

Total shock there for a minute...you never told me that Sam! Awesome, bro in Christ!!

Some great "orders:"
Fathers of Mercy
Legionaries of Christ
Franciscan Friars of the Eternal Word! (Personally I think they are the COOLEST!!) :cool:

But all of those are Orthodox. And knowing you and what you like, the more traditional ones are probably the Fathers of Mercy and the Friars!!

I know a few of the friars in Alabama and they are some of the neatest people I have ever met! ^_^

And some young men join the Nights of the Holy Eachurast if they are discerning priesthood. I know some of them to. They take care of the grounds and protect the Eacharist and the Poor Clares at the Shrine of the Blessed Sacrament in Alabama, (where my sis is.)

They are very traditional there and so good. There life is "prayer and work." (Ora et Labora. :) )

If you want to visit them (And I encourage [i]everyone[/i] to do so,) you can learn all about them at olamshrine.com. On the left will be some options and one of the options will be "Shrine Info." Click on that and at the very end you will see "Nights of the Holy Eacharist!" :D:

God Bless you Sam!
Kristina

I have heard about the knights, and have checked out their website. it seems like a great group of guys

i also am attracted to the fransicans. they seem so great as well.

i am afraid to tell my parents, because i know they will not understand at all.

Edited by Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

Ora et Labora

aw, poor guy...

Just remember your phamily is here for you, Sam. And if it is
Gods will (which it very well might be...) your parents cant do anything about it. :)

At least not when the time comes...