An Old School Catholic Message Board

the beginning of your vocation?

MC IMaGiNaZUN

MC IMaGiNaZUN

Has anybody else heard of fr. stan fortuna cfr? [url="http://www.francescoproductions.com/"]http://www.francescoproductions.com/[/url]

I remember years back when a friend of mine asked me if i ever thought about being a priest. I simply said No, with clarity and precision. It wasn't a matter of fear, it wasnt a matter of fighting off the idea of a vocation. The simple reason was, "if i become a priest, they wont let me rap." I cant really recall who "they" is that i was referring to. But it was simple, i wanted to use my gifts in hip hop music to bring glory to God. And i was decided, and going along with that.

But then my friend told me about fr. stan fortuna. I didn't believe him. Conveniently enough, i saw him the next summer at the steubenville conference in Arizona five or six years ago. And then after seeing him, i allowed myself to seriously discern.

SHALOM

the Sisters that started or gave me the idea to seek a religious vocaiton was, the Sisters of St. Francis of the Marytr St. george, in Alton ILL!!!

I grew up knowing the sisters and of course had them in HS and somehow along the way i fell in love with the idea of being a religious nun or sister!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sr. Jeanette, the principal of my grade school from grades 1-3. We went to Mass twice a week with school, but on days my dad would take me early to school before work, she would take me to Mass with her before school.

I grew up the street from the Dominican Nuns of The Perpetual Rosary in Camden, NJ. I used to go down there all time to help clean the chapel and anything else to be of service with the externs. They are still there and really hurting for vocations. A good, authentic group, still wear the Domincan habit and the founder of the order(Father Saintourens) is buried on the grounds. Being with them, getting to know each of the sisters over the years helped me grow in my desire to serve the Lord. Say a prayer for them, will you guys?

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

there is no specific Person that has had a big impact on my vocation besides Chrsit the BVM and the saints. What attracts me about the priesthood is that there ain't no going home. its 24/7 of serving the People of God, and ministering to them. I think it is the ULTIMATE service for the Glory of God.

During my freshman year of high school (I'd already felt attracted to religious life since middle school, without knowing any religious sisters), our archbishop got something like 50 tickets to see JPII when he came to visit St. Louis. Our archbishop couldn't go, and seeing as we were the only Catholic high school at the time, it just made sense that we got the tickets.

Never in my life had I seen SO MANY NUNS BEFORE! I saw Pink Nuns. I saw Dominicans (Nashville!). I saw some playing frisbee under the arch. It was a very moving experience.

[quote name='shortnun' date='Dec 14 2005, 09:47 PM']During my freshman year of high school (I'd already felt attracted to religious life since middle school, without knowing any religious sisters), our archbishop got something like 50 tickets to see JPII when he came to visit St. Louis. Our archbishop couldn't go, and seeing as we were the only Catholic high school at the time, it just made sense that we got the tickets.

Never in my life had I seen SO MANY NUNS BEFORE! I saw Pink Nuns. I saw Dominicans (Nashville!). I saw some playing frisbee under the arch. It was a very moving experience.
[right][snapback]826076[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

how kewl!!!!!!

I blame Bishop Zubik. He's the one that made me know I was really called to the priesthood.

There were influential priests like Fr. John who was in the same situation as I am, being an only child.

But I can't blame him, heck Bishop Zubik is helping to bring about the salvation of my soul along with others.

In Christ,

Ed

TheOliverOrder88

I was so Protestant acouple years back, my old nondenominational youth group affirmed as such saying "Man you would be a great pastor..."

I guess my old youth pastor.

Becoming Catholic...hmmm... I guess just reading about the saints. My parish priest, Father Erbert....hmmm....now that I think about it...there isn't a particular one.

Father Cronin inspired some more orthodox devotion.
Father O' Toole inspired some more intellectual devotion.
Father Ebert inspired some creative devotion.

They all told me with their actions how a priest should be, a priest that is faithful to His Church, smart of things of faith, and shares his gifts with the world.

the person who first put the idea in my head was a priest my parish when i was in middle school who told me i'd make a great sister...in the middle of Mass while i was serving while a visting priest was giving the homily about the need for vocations...haha

and since then, several other awesome priests & religious...

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

What got me thinking about the religious life were two Sisters at the Vocations Retreat I was at nearly 3 years ago, and these two Sisters came up to me and asked if I had ever thought about the religious life, and I simply said no, and they filled me in about their community, and the thought about the religious life never left!

[quote name='TheOliverOrder88' date='Dec 14 2005, 09:38 PM']I was so Protestant acouple years back, my old nondenominational youth group affirmed as such saying "Man you would be a great pastor..."

I guess my old youth pastor.

Becoming Catholic...hmmm... I guess just reading about the saints. My parish priest, Father Erbert....hmmm....now that I think about it...there isn't a particular one.

Father Cronin inspired some more orthodox devotion.
Father O' Toole inspired some more intellectual devotion.
Father Ebert inspired some creative devotion.

They all told me with their actions how a priest should be, a priest that is faithful to His Church, smart of things of faith, and shares his gifts with the world.
[right][snapback]826188[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Fr. Cronin has definitely been an inspiration for me, too. It was kind of weird because we had a wacky priest at the same time we had him at our parish. When he came, he started enthroning the Sacred Heart in people's homes if they wanted it. My mom got more interested in the Church under him, and we'd always go to the Enthronements. I think that one of the main reasons why my mom isn't blocking my vocation even though she doesn't like him is because of him (and the Holy Spirit)