An Old School Catholic Message Board

Single life

avemaria40

I thought, we have alot of religious pages, one on married life, can we do single life as well, since that's a vocation? Any one have stories to share? i'm only 16 and thinking about vocations, whether married, religious or single, and I never hear anything about single life.

crazymaine catholic

a year or two ago, in my parish, we had someone who was consecrated as a virgin. she's been single her whole life, and obviously, she'll be continuing that life. it's certainly a vocation that's not talked about enough. then again, i think most people don't want to think about spending their life single.

franciscanheart

i know someone on phatmass who has found their vocation in the single life. ill see if i cant get him/her to come in and talk about it. ^_^

Well finally a subject I know lots about, single and Catholic!! I did not intend to remain single, was going to enter the convent when I was 21. Went to school, became a nurse, and was an aspirant in a convent. All was wonderful....then my Dad became quite ill and died 2 years later. My beloved congregation that I spent 5 years discerning with(the whole time I was studying to be a nurse they supported me, as nursing is their main apostolate) decided that I had to enter at the time my Dad was sick or look elsewhere. That I had to give up my parents anyway and this congregation expected me to leave my dying Dad. Well I did not leave, I could not. After his death, I threw myself into my profession. I started to date, got engaged, got unengaged!!!! Went back to school, and excelled in my chosen career.
I am now 52, still single, extremely happy, have my own home, car and have traveled around the world. So do not think that if you remain single you are lliving in a tomb, far from it!!! I date when I want. Have alot of friends. Back of my mind I wish I had become a sister. At least, I can sponser and support others that may choose to do this.
I will gladly answer any questions you might have, don't mean to bore you all. My life has been very full indeed.
Alicemary

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

ive heard many say that the single life is not a vocation. and that the church only recognizes 2 states and that is married or relegious. is this true?

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Dec 16 2005, 07:36 PM']ive heard many say that the single life is not a vocation. and that the church only recognizes 2 states and that is married or relegious. is this true?
[right][snapback]828621[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I've read in a Handbook for today's Catholic that the Church is coming to recognize the single life as a vocation

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Dec 16 2005, 05:36 PM']ive heard many say that the single life is not a vocation. and that the church only recognizes 2 states and that is married or relegious. is this true?
[right][snapback]828621[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I've heard "vocation" refer to religious life, and in the Cathechism # 1603 it is stated that the "vocation to marriage is written in the very nature of man and woman". I've never read anywhere in the Cathechism where the single state of life was officially proclaimed referred to as a "vocation".

I've only seen two places in the Cathechism referring to single life (aside from those referring to consecrated vriginity or eremitical state), one explicit and the other implicit:

[quote][b]1658[/b].  "We must remember the great number of [i]single persons[/i] who, because of the particular circumstances in which they have to live - often not of their own choosing - are especially close to Jesus' heart and therefore deserve the special affection and active solicitude of the Church, especially of pastors.  Many remain [i]without a human family[/i], often due to conditions of poverty.  Some live their situation in the spirit of the Beatitudes, serving God and neighbor in exemplary fashion".[/quote]

[quote][b]2230[/b].  "Whnen they become adults, children have the right and duty to [i]choose their profession and state of life[/i].  They should assume their new responsibilities within a trusting relationship with their parents, willingly asking and receiving their advice and counsel.  Parents should be careful not to exert pressure on their children either in teh choice of a profession or in that of a spouse.  This necessary restraint does not prevent them - quite the contrary - from giving their children judicious advice, particularly when they are planning to start a family.

[b]2231[/b].  Some forgo marriage in order to care for their parents or brothers or sisters, to give themselves more completely toa profession,  or to serve other honorable ends.  They can contribute greatly to the good of the human family.[/quote]

I see nothing in the above regarding a "call"; rather, all I see is that it is either a free choice or being a victim of circumstance.

And I've also heard one respected priest, Fr. Tom Loya, state that the Church never officially proclaimed it a vocation and that since it is not a permanent state (obviously with the exception of those who make some type of vow or committment), it is not a real vocation.

I am also personally opposed to elevating it to a formal vocation because of the potential for abuse by faulting people for seeking marriage.

franciscanheart

wow i guess i had never thought about that! i have always just been raised with people talking about the vocation to a single life! hmmm

This is an interesting topic of which I know very little. There are a number of people who are 'Consecrated Virgins' and it is considered a vocation as far as I know. I don't know whether this vocation applies to men as well as to women.

"Similar to these forms of consecrated life (religious institutes, etc.) is the order of virgins who, expressing the holy resolution of following Christ more closely, are consecrated to God by the diocesan bishop according to the approved liturgical rite, are mystically betrothed to Christ, the Son of God, and are dedicated to the service of the Church. In order to observe their own resolution more faithfully and to perform by mutual assistance service to the Church in harmony with their proper state, virgins can be associated together." (canon 604)

[quote name='OLAM Dad' date='Dec 21 2005, 01:08 PM']This is an interesting topic of which I know very little.  There are a number of people who are 'Consecrated Virgins' and it is considered a vocation as far as I know.  I don't know whether this vocation applies to men as well as to women.
[right][snapback]832821[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I have investigated this vocation at one time and unfortunately, men can't be consecrated virgins.

photosynthesis

I wouldn't say I have a special vocation to the single life, but I am single and it's worked well for me for the past 22 years and I think I could go another 22 if that's what God wants.

If I don't become a priest, I could easily see myself living the single life. I just don't have a desire for the married life (although lots of guys say this -- until they fall in love). As long as I'm doing what I want to do professionally -- barring the priesthood, my goal is to become a professor of philosophy at some university -- I think I would be quite happy and fulfilled. Being single would allow me to really throw myself into my work wholeheartedly.

Most philosophers are single.