An Old School Catholic Message Board

(LW) Happy Holidays vs. Merry Christmas (RW)

White Knight

(LW) Happy Holidays vs. Merry Christmas (RW)  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Whats Christmas without Christ? No point in saying 'seasons greetings' if you're not going to acknowledge the author and cause of it all, nai? Atheist, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Wiccan, Satanist, whatever the weather I'm saying 'Merry Christmas'.

AND IF YOU'RE NOT DOWN WITH THAT I GOT TWO WORDS FOR YA...

...God Bless :cool:

INXC
Myles

:lol_roll:

I also have a problm with the abbreviation of Christmas..Xmas. What an example of our society tring to X out Christ from Christmas. I mean I went and bought Christmas cards this year, and do you know how hard it was to find one that actually said Merry Chrsitmas? Not to mention one with a picture of baby Jesus. This is out of control! :weep: Edited by Timothy

[quote name='Myles' date='Dec 20 2005, 08:17 PM']I'd figure Left Wing and Right Wing, yah?

INXC
Myles
[right][snapback]831948[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Oh duh, I thought it would be something obvious like that! Well, I consider myself left wing (mostly) and say "Merry Christmas"...

homeschoolmom

I don't have a huge problem with "happy holidays" because it's shorter than "merry Christmas and happy new year!"

but "Season's greetings" sounds fake, fake, fake...

I personally prefer to great people with "Jesus is the reason for the season."

It rhymes, and I used to have a mug that said that.

[quote name='Timothy' date='Dec 20 2005, 02:53 PM']:lol_roll:

I also have a problm with the abbreviation of Christmas..Xmas.  What an example of our society tring to X out Christ from Christmas.   I mean I went and bought Christmas cards this year, and do you know how hard it was to find one that actually said Merry Chrsitmas?  Not to mention one with a picture of baby Jesus.  This is out of control! :weep:
[right][snapback]831918[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yeah, but in the end run they still fail. The "X" (in Greek) represents "Christ". So therefore, they're saying Christmas in a Greekish type of way. :lol:

[quote name='Timothy' date='Dec 20 2005, 02:53 PM']:lol_roll:

I also have a problm with the abbreviation of Christmas..Xmas.  What an example of our society tring to X out Christ from Christmas.  I mean I went and bought Christmas cards this year, and do you know how hard it was to find one that actually said Merry Chrsitmas?  Not to mention one with a picture of baby Jesus.  This is out of control! :weep:
[right][snapback]831918[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Because of you I get to find out new stuff. :)

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

[quote]1551 in E. Lodge Illustr. Brit. Hist. (1791) I. 145 From X'temmas next following. c1755 in B. Ward Hist. St. Edmund's Coll. (1893) 303 In ye Xmas and Whitsuntide Vacations. 1799 COLERIDGE Let. to Southey 24 Dec., My Xstmas Carol is a quaint performance. 1801 {emem} Let. to Southey 31 Dec., On Xmas Day I breakfasted with Davy. 1875 S. G. THOMAS in R. W. Burnie Mem. & Lett. (1891) 55 We are not going to have any Xmas festivities or visitors of any kind. 1884 Punch 6 Dec. 268/1 He's beginning Xmassing already.[/quote]

[quote]#    Date    Entry  Match
1  1808    ahorse, adv.      ambers's Jrnl.  Xmas No. 854/2 When he and I encoun
2        be- prefix      ng Sketch Bk.,  Xmas Dinner (D.), Striplings *bewhi
3  c995    bed, n.      Poems & Ball.,  Xmas Carol 46 The bedstead shall be
4  a1000    bee1      1850 Browning  Xmas Eve & Easter D. 240 The bee-bi
5  1740    bugaboo      1740  Xmas Entertainm. ii, Of Hobgoblins,
6  c1250    burning, vbl. n.      (1960) iv. 69  Xmas is the time for burning off.
7  1665    busk, v.2      74 Sunday Mag.  Xmas No. 1 Chair-caners, 'busking v
[b]8  c1000    cap, n.1      Monthly Packet  Xmas 33, I don't care for those cap[/b]
9  c1325    chill, v.      87 The perfect  Xmas prezo would be to spend it at
10  1795    chin chin, n.      l the best for  Xmas![/quote]

[quote name='Theoketos' date='Dec 20 2005, 05:25 PM']I slap people in the face saying, "Be sealed with the Holy Spirit!"
ok not really.
[right][snapback]832140[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You should. Too bad you're not a bishop!