An Old School Catholic Message Board

ECYD and Regnum Christi!

Vivacristorey

Ora et Labora

[quote name='peacenluvbaby' date='Jan 13 2006, 12:44 PM']Hi ecyders...I used to be in ecyd and was a precandidate and a coworker.  Unfortunately, I wouldn't highly recommend it.  There are many attractive things about it, and even good things, but there are a few things you should know, especially if you plan to go Rhode Island.

PLEASE DONT STOP READING!!!!
I PROMISE this is NOT ALL NEGATIVE...I WAS A PC FOR 3 YEARS - and had some good experiences there.

20 Things I WISH I HAD KNOWN

1. The summer program is awsome and fun and amazing.  :)
PC life is a bit of a different story. You must wear a long skirt (even for sports and hikes and at the beach  :cool: ), no sleeveless tops, a robe on top of PJs in the dorm (unless you are in bed) and nylons and dressy shoes - not socks or tennis shoes.  :saint:

2. The educational quality is not very high.  There are no Honors Classes, no AP classes, and the GPA system is so harsh that it can harm your chances of getting into a good college - If it hasn't changed, a 99% (A) counts as a 3.9 GPA, and a 90% (A-) is a 3.0 whereas, at a regular high school a A- is a 3.5.

As a senior in high school, most of the PCs do not even make college applications because they are thinking of becoming consecrated, but then if they don't become consecrated, they lose a year before they can go to college.  One girl was even sent away because she started filling out college applications and that was seen as not being "open" to a vocation because she had a "plan B", so they sent her away in the middle of her senior year, and she nearly did not graduate.

Most students do not take SAT IIs or AP exams that would be very helpful for getting into and going to college.
3. You are in "silence" for the entire day except for part of lunch, and other times specifically set aside for talking.  When you do get to talk there is always a consecrated member there.  Not that that is bad, but it's hard to really express yourself to your friends as a teenager with a "counselor" even a nice and good one standing right there.

9th and 10th graders can't speak to 11th and 12th graders because they are in different "sections"  They do not play together or anything.

4.  You get to listen to music only on outings, in the car and on special feast days during "chores" Being a music lover, that was very hard on me and others.  You are not allowed to have a cd/walkman, and "secular" music is never heard.  Only Enya and these recordings of regnum christi women or legionaries singing mostly spanish, but some english songs in a choir.

5. You are allowed to have no "particular friendships" meaning you can't have any friend or girl you share your thoughts with more than any other.  If you do, you will be asked to not speak to her at all for a while until you can be equally friends with everyone. :unsure:

6. Your letters and all mail that you send or receive is read by your counselor(consecrated) including letters to your family or friends.  :shock:  You are also not allowed any contact with friends of yours who are guys ((or girls if you're a guy and go the Legionary PreCandidacy/Apostolic School)

You sometimes have letter writing time and you are encouraged to ask your acquaintences, family and friends for donations or at least to get them to come to retreats and such in RI.  My sister was a PC also and she did this, and it made an aunt of mine very upset. :sadder: Letters about hey what's up, or just friendly stuff are considered a waste of time.

7.  You have very strict rules of ettiquette - eating apples, oranges, hamburger and donuts with a knife and fork.  Getting into your chair from the left and exiting from the right.  Using only 4 or 5 squares of toilet paper to...and many more...  :ninja:

8.  You can receive a call from home once per week for one hour only.  If you have a large family, that is about 5-10 minutes per person.

9. You have no (or very restricted) email or internet access. No cell phone either.

10.  You must ask your director permission to read any book, literature or spiritual.

11.  The food is not particularly healthy (like any other boarding school) and most girls gained weight when they went because of the food and the reduced exercise.

12.  You get about 45min-1hour of sports about 3-4 times per week (some days you have kitchen clean up after lunch).  All sports are team sports only, no running by yourself for exercise, no competitive sports against other schools,( NO SOCCER! at all because it's not for girls)  :maddest: For a sporty person like myself this is very little exercise and I even gained about 15 pounds which I lost when I graduated and began doing college sports and eating my own healthy food.

13.  You have set aside times for studying per class.  For some people this is nice, but others, who would prefer to do all their homework at once and according to how long they need to study for that class this can be a pain.  IE You have a 45 minute period to study history, you finish your homework, now you're supposed to keep studying history even though you're done.... :yawn:

14.  If you break one of the many small rules that govern pc life, you are supposed to ask your counselor/guide for a penance - some act of reparation which can range from extra prayers to giving up sports and doing an extra kitchen duty.

15.  Although spiritual direction is supposed to be 100% confidential it's not.  Sometimes, it happened that another pc would know something I said in spiritual guidance because the consecrated had mentioned it to her as an example, or something.  Also every month they make a report about all the pcs and send it to the higher up Regnum Christi/Legionaries.

16.  The consecrated can go through your closet and your stuff to see how organized or messy you are - you have no privacy at all.  :unsure:

17.  The consecrated are very nice people and really are trying to help you, but I don't think it is always a "help." And everything they tell you is "God's will".  I don't know if God really cares so much if I wear my hair in a ponytail or down, but they told me He wanted my hair "down" because ponytails are too casual.

18.  You have what is called "free time" but you need this time to iron your clothes, clean up your closet, write a letter, etc. and cannot use it to hang out with other pcs or listen to music.

19.  Every minute of every day is scheduled.  You have only 3 days at home at Christmas - not Christmas Day!!!! You go home the 26th, are at home 27th, 28th, 29th and fly back the 30th.  This is a very expensive 72 hour trip.

20.  By the end, you might lose some of your sense of identity and it's not on purpose maybe but you're only 14-17 so you begin to put your whole identity into the Regnum Christi and then as is often the case, even people who become consecrated leave after a while.  From my pc class and the grade ahead of me and behind me...All TOGETHER only 2 girls who became consecrated are still consecrated.  Some of my old friends even stopped being catholic after they left because they got so confused of what was catholic and what was just Regnum Christi.  God doesnt care if I eat an apple with a knife and fork - many good catholics use their hands, but so much of those small things get mixed in that it becomes hard to separate God's ideas and Catholic from these strange little quirky things about Regnum Christi.

Lastly, though this is yet unproven, Pope Benedict does have a case open currently investigating abuse by the founder of Regnum Christi.  I think your parents should be fully informed and research other people's experiences in Legionary schools, Regnum Christi and ECYD before they encourage or allow you to participate.  I loved the summer camps and was a counselor even after leaving the pc, and I'd be a counselor again, I just don't try to force everyone into ECYD, just get them to talk to God more...not have to obey these made up rules...and have no friends because "everyone is your friend."  Girls, you know! (and guys too) there is no substitute for a real live best girl friend (or guy friend)

Seriously people, WHAT WOULD JESUS DO???  Didn't he say take your light out and shine it, not put it in a bushel basket???  I think being really catholic or Christian in a regular school is a much bigger deal than hiding your faith in some school where everyone agrees with you.

Love you all!!! PEACE!
[right][snapback]855201[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

She has many good points.

The consecrated do try to help you but it is not always the right thing. And I personally would like to tlak personally with a priest.

A few friends of mine from the school write me still. Great girls. I love them (Amelia knows them...;)) But, they are constanly asking me to come to a convention or something, and I know for a fact that is what the consecrated want them to do. It gets annoying and it sometimes hurts my feelings thinking this is the only reason there writing me! But I know there good friends.

But Unlike what she is saying, Sara is right when she says it is a good thing that they have a strict scedule. They do it for christ and it is not overdone.

When it comes to letter writing I totally ont think its a good thing they look through it before they give it to you. That is just...weird. You go to a boarding school but you also have your personal life which should be respected.

Wearing skirts is not bad. Theres nothing wrong with that. And when you say they dont exercise and eat unhealthy...I dont think so. You might of gone there for 3 years...but I was there and I lost weight BEACUSE of all the exercise they have you do!!!

And when it came to a girl thinking about college and they kicked her out for it...that is also confusing and weird. It is true that you like have to agree with them. I felt a little weird there at the sp because everyone was the same....I know it sounds weird but its true. I still love them though. And I still think they are doing wonderful things for Christ. And it is not true that they dont shine there light. We went to Providence R.I. and we gave a Bar-B-Q for all the poor people there. And the school is to help you prepare for the time when you go out into the world.

And I think we should be able to read books in our own free time. But I would love to go back for the sp. Its awesome there and the people are really nice. It is also rewarding spiritually.

Vivacristorey

[quote name='Ora et Labora' date='Jan 19 2006, 02:58 PM']Cecy from Atlanta was my spiritual director!!!  :D: She was good. I know so many people at the school.

There are a bunch of Cecys. lol I know like 4... :lol:

Regnum Cristi is good. Im not a fanatic, but, its good.
[right][snapback]861111[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Cecy is my spiritual director!! in fact, i just had spiritual direction with her today!!
~*sarah*~

• 1 year later...

[quote name='peacenluvbaby' post='855201' date='Jan 13 2006, 02:44 PM']Hi ecyders...I used to be in ecyd and was a precandidate and a coworker. Unfortunately, I wouldn't highly recommend it. There are many attractive things about it, and even good things but there are a few things you should know, especially if you plan to go Rhode Island.[/quote]

What a way to appreciate the things the Holy Spirit has done. I am part of Regnum Christi, and I was a precandidate as well. One should not rely on recommendations, it's whether the Holy Spirit is calling an individual to that specific place.

Just a few [i]good[/i] things about it? Hun, the Holy Spirit MADE this movement, and there are [i]even good things[/i]?

[quote]PLEASE DONT STOP READING!!!!
I PROMISE this is NOT ALL NEGATIVE...I WAS A PC FOR 3 YEARS - and had some good experiences there.

1. The summer program is awsome and fun and amazing. :)
PC life is a bit of a different story. You must wear a long skirt (even for sports and hikes and at the beach :cool: ), no sleeveless tops, a robe on top of PJs in the dorm (unless you are in bed) and nylons and dressy shoes - not socks or tennis shoes. :saint:[/quote]

There's nothing wrong with wearing a skirt. Skirts are very feminine and Consecrated are female, it distinguishes the female persona. Wearing skirts for outings, Nuns do just the same, they don't have a problem with it, the general public doesn't have a problem with it.
Sleeveless tops can be very immodest, it's common sense not allowing them. Nylons, that's a minor detail, if you are called to be Consecrated, you live specifically for the glory of God, not for the glory of nylons.

[quote]2. The educational quality is not very high. There are no Honors Classes, no AP classes, and the GPA system is so harsh that it can harm your chances of getting into a good college - If it hasn't changed, a 99% (A) counts as a 3.9 GPA, and a 90% (A-) is a 3.0 whereas, at a regular high school a A- is a 3.5.

As a senior in high school, most of the PCs do not even make college applications because they are thinking of becoming consecrated, but then if they don't become consecrated, they lose a year before they can go to college. One girl was even sent away because she started filling out college applications and that was seen as not being "open" to a vocation because she had a "plan B", so they sent her away in the middle of her senior year, and she nearly did not graduate.

Most students do not take SAT IIs or AP exams that would be very helpful for getting into and going to college.[/quote]

The education quality is quite sufficient for this type of vocational school.

The reason why they don't take college applications is because you're strictly discerning Consecrated life, how can you discern when you have 2 things going through your head? You are focused one thing, and one thing only: To do the Will of God. It's quite obvious why they don't have girls applying for college, that would completely distort the purpose of going to the precandidacy.

There's also nothing wrong with staying home an extra year if you are not called to Consecrated life, because for one 1) it can take some time adjusting to normal life after you come out, and 2) it helps you figure out what God wants you to do and where he wants you to go for your future education. There's enough time to study for the SATs or ACTs. Plus, if God wants you to go to college, he'll get you in there no problem, doesn't matter if you haven't taken AP exams or such, you leave everything in his hands.

I have a friend who left in the middle of her senior year, she finished at the public school at home no problem. Depends on the individual and how much they stick to God's Will when they leave home.

[quote]3. You are in "silence" for the entire day except for part of lunch, and other times specifically set aside for talking. When you do get to talk there is always a consecrated member there. Not that that is bad, but it's hard to really express yourself to your friends as a teenager with a "counselor" even a nice and good one standing right there.[/quote]

You are not in silence the whole day!!! You are in silence in the hallways, and in classrooms, that's about it. The reason for silence is because God can speak to your heart so much better when you are aren't doing the talking, it's a beautiful way to foster a vocation. Um...., we can talk in a certain room without a Consecrated, I've done it with my grade many a time, as long as you aren't in a hallway.

[quote]9th and 10th graders can't speak to 11th and 12th graders because they are in different "sections" They do not play together or anything.[/quote]

That's because you can't foster good relationships with 60-100 other girls all at the same time, I really have no problem with this rule, you have certain days where you can talk to each other and it makes everything smoother.

[quote]4. You get to listen to music only on outings, in the car and on special feast days during "chores" Being a music lover, that was very hard on me and others. You are not allowed to have a cd/walkman, and "secular" music is never heard. Only Enya and these recordings of regnum christi women or legionaries singing mostly spanish, but some english songs in a choir.[/quote]

Haha, you get to listen to music on many more occasions than what you said. I am probably more of a music lover than you, but you don't listen to music again, because it prevents you from hearing what God wants to tell you, ergo, the no listening to music and the silence go perfectly well together. Oh yes, and that's exactly why I was able to listen to Celine Dion, DC Talk and Josh Groban whilst I was at the PC, actually, that's how I came to know Josh Groban. I don't think I even know any Spanish song the Consecrated have on CD, they're all in English. There's also nothing wrong with their music, they sing like angels and their message is truly beautiful. They are singing to glorify God, they are giving something back to Him: their talents.
Choir is SO MUCH FUN! We can to sing tons of songs and a lot of popular ones, I know quite a few years ago (like 5) they did a rendition of Only Hope by Mandy Moore and it was BEAUTIFUL!!

[quote]5. You are allowed to have no "particular friendships" meaning you can't have any friend or girl you share your thoughts with more than any other. If you do, you will be asked to not speak to her at all for a while until you can be equally friends with everyone. :unsure:[/quote]

This is to prevent cliques, cliques are the most annoying and more uncharitable things in the whole world. It's based strictly out of charity why this rule was established. It's charitable to get along with every girl in your grade or section, because when two hang out, you make others jealous and you feel left out. Trust me, there was one girl in my grade that I *cough* did not get along with, but my spiritual guide helped me out, it was so hard! I'm still friends with her now actually, I think she's awesome! We may still not get along as great, but I have learned to see past the outside and see Christ inside. Basically, we are taught not to hold grudges.

[quote]6. Your letters and all mail that you send or receive is read by your counselor(consecrated) including letters to your family or friends. :shock: You are also not allowed any contact with friends of yours who are guys ((or girls if you're a guy and go the Legionary PreCandidacy/Apostolic School)[/quote]

This is another fostering the vocation aspect. This rule is actually very good, it makes a ton of sense why you wouldn't be allowed to have letters from guys, imagine if you were able to correspond with guys and the Consecrated didn't read out? Who [i]knows[/i] what he might be telling you, he could be encouraging you to get out of there, or he could be telling you how he watched this bad R rated film with some not so good details in it.
The Consecrated are protecting you, they are helping you, and I for one, can be very appreciative of this, sure I perhaps thought it was odd and uncomfortable at the beginning, but if you really think about it, and why they do it. It truly is the Holy Spirit.

[quote]You sometimes have letter writing time and you are encouraged to ask your acquaintences, family and friends for donations or at least to get them to come to retreats and such in RI. My sister was a PC also and she did this, and it made an aunt of mine very upset. :sadder: Letters about hey what's up, or just friendly stuff are considered a waste of time.[/quote]

Of course you're going to ask your acquaintance for donations, it costs so much to just go there for one year, it's not very charitable to leave that whole money burden on your parents. Hopefully, your family would be greatly happy to help you out since you're being open to God's Will! My siblings didn't want me there but that didn't stop me, when God is calling you to something, nothing else gets in the way, no matter what you do in life, people are always going to be upset with you, it's a waste of time to worry about it. Even family, right now, some relatives of ours have upset and broken up my family, it's definitely upsetting but I'm not going to waste my life on it, I just pray for them.

[quote]7. You have very strict rules of ettiquette - eating apples, oranges, hamburger and donuts with a knife and fork. Getting into your chair from the left and exiting from the right. Using only 4 or 5 squares of toilet paper to...and many more... :ninja:[/quote]

This is one thing I LOVE so much about the movement. It's AMAZING!!! Etiquette is simply awesome, sure it's a pain sometimes but again, it's a call that the movement has, you have to be able to eat well enough to eat with a Queen, but eat tidy enough to eat with the poor. It's so beautiful. It really is how you look at things, sure people think you're crazy eating a hot dog with a fork and knife, who cares, it keeps your fingers clean.

[quote]8. You can receive a call from home once per week for one hour only. If you have a large family, that is about 5-10 minutes per person.[/quote]

This is because if you talk to much to your family, you're going to get attached again, and one thing with the precandidacy, you have to be detached from your family and attach to Christ. At least you get to talk to them, if you were a cloistered nun, it might be the same.

[quote]9. You have no (or very restricted) email or internet access. No cell phone either.[/quote]

I could send emails to my family, it was a little complicated but sure. There's no internet access because there's nothing on the internet you need to see as a precandidate. Same with cell phones, what the heck are you going to do with a cell phone discerning Consecrated life? Just like nuns, who are you going to call during your break time.

[quote]10. You must ask your director permission to read any book, literature or spiritual.[/quote]

Yes because some books are not good for your personality, one of my friends, she didn't read Pride and Prejudice because, with her personality and how she thinks, she would've thought more about the feelings of love (i.e. marriage) than anything else. Again, it's amazing that the movement takes in to account the details of your personality. It's brilliant! Also, in grade 9, some senior books may be too adult for you, so you're not allowed to read them. It's pretty much like parenting, I wouldn't let my kid (when I get married) have a Jon Grisham book.

[quote]11. The food is not particularly healthy (like any other boarding school) and most girls gained weight when they went because of the food and the reduced exercise.[/quote]

The movement relies strictly on donations for food, it's amazing that they are even able to eat every single day. Weight is not an issue there because they exercise every single day, plus you're also walking around every single day. In your circumstance, perhaps that is why you are not called to be Consecrated, you need more exercise and foods pertaining strictly for your health. Honestly, the pcs and Consecrated are the most fit people I've seen, they can run, they can walk, they can hike, they can play ball, then can swim, they can play basketball. They are fit, by all means. Especially the 3 hours sports you have on feast days. ;)

[quote]12. You get about 45min-1hour of sports about 3-4 times per week (some days you have kitchen clean up after lunch). All sports are team sports only, no running by yourself for exercise, no competitive sports against other schools,( NO SOCCER! at all because it's not for girls) :maddest: For a sporty person like myself this is very little exercise and I even gained about 15 pounds which I lost when I graduated and began doing college sports and eating my own healthy food.[/quote]

You get sports every single day, on Saturdays you have your outings so that counts as your sports. Being competitive is not a female attribute (as far as playing against other school), but the teams do play against each other, how would you play basketball otherwise.
We don't play against other schools because it's not lady like. If you have a problem with being a lady, don't blame it on the movement, blame it on feminism.

[quote]13. You have set aside times for studying per class. For some people this is nice, but others, who would prefer to do all their homework at once and according to how long they need to study for that class this can be a pain. IE You have a 45 minute period to study history, you finish your homework, now you're supposed to keep studying history even though you're done.... :yawn:[/quote]

This is obedience, in the precandidacy you have a schedule and you have to follow it. (By the way, all those schedules are approved by the General Director of the movement.) It's simple obedience, for me it was also hard, especially if I was tired and didn't feel like studying, but it prevents procrastination. It also teaches you time management, every second is to be used for the glory of God, you don't waste your time. :)

[quote]14. If you break one of the many small rules that govern pc life, you are supposed to ask your counselor/guide for a penance - some act of reparation which can range from extra prayers to giving up sports and doing an extra kitchen duty.[/quote]

This is truly a beautiful aspect of the movement and it is truly a love filled duty. It's also part of obedience. When you disobey something or a rule in the PC, you feel guilty, but you have also hurt Christ, so when you love Christ so much, you want to make reparation for disobeying. It's very beautiful.

[quote]15. Although spiritual direction is supposed to be 100% confidential it's not. Sometimes, it happened that another pc would know something I said in spiritual guidance because the consecrated had mentioned it to her as an example, or something. Also every month they make a report about all the pcs and send it to the higher up Regnum Christi/Legionaries.[/quote]

Spiritual Direction is 100% confidential, if they are citing you as an example, they don't mention your name and you don't say anything, again, it's common sense. If you have set an example, perhaps others need to know it, perhaps it will help the other precandidates to strive for holiness. If it's a bad example...uhh, the Consecrated won't mention it. In all matters, they [i]do not mention your name[/i]. About making a report, Consecrated don't make reports, they evaluate you and see if you are called to being a Consecrated. IF they send it to higher ones it was be like Monica who is the assitant director for the Eastern part of the US for Regnum Christi. It's an act of love, they are doing their part to help you discern!

[quote]16. The consecrated can go through your closet and your stuff to see how organized or messy you are - you have no privacy at all. :unsure:[/quote]

Edited by Dudette

How Christian and how much you care about life, souls, everything shows in how organized and what your priorities are like. If Christ was to enter your room, would it be suitable for him right now? That's the thinking that goes behind this one, again, the Holy Spirit is right on track. By the way, you do have privacy, you are just making it sound like there's no 'you' in the movement, of course there's no 'you.' We die to ourselves in order that Christ will live.

[quote]17. The consecrated are very nice people and really are trying to help you, but I don't think it is always a "help." And everything they tell you is "God's will". I don't know if God really cares so much if I wear my hair in a ponytail or down, but they told me He wanted my hair "down" because ponytails are too casual.[/quote]

They are trying to help you, but the Consecrated aren't perfect, just like every other human being. It's true, a pony tail is casual, and wearing your hair down is just another part of Consecrated life, though I wore my hair in a pony tail the whole time I was there because my hair was so thick I couldn't wear it down (afro.) God cares whether you're obedient or not.

[quote]18. You have what is called "free time" but you need this time to iron your clothes, clean up your closet, write a letter, etc. and cannot use it to hang out with other pcs or listen to music.[/quote]

Again, they are teaching you time management and to not waste your time, use it well for the development of the Kingdom of Christ. There are things that need to be done, and there are things that don't need to be done. Listening to music is one of those things, see, listening to music and 'hanging out' is a very self way of thinking and acting. Well, just like every other movement, it isn't about you. It's about Christ.

[quote]19. Every minute of every day is scheduled. You have only 3 days at home at Christmas - not Christmas Day!!!! You go home the 26th, are at home 27th, 28th, 29th and fly back the 30th. This is a very expensive 72 hour trip.[/quote]

You don't spend Christmas at home because it's the birth of Christ, what other way to give Christ a present than be for him at your vocation and at home? Personally, I'd pick spending Christmas at the precandidacy any year than at home. At home there is so much focus on presents etc, at the PC it's [b]all[/b] about Christ. It's SOOOOO beautiful!!! Honestly, there is no better way to spend Christmas then in adoration and veneration! Plus, on Christmas day, you get to play games all day!! Mwaha!

[quote]20. By the end, you might lose some of your sense of identity and it's not on purpose maybe but you're only 14-17 so you begin to put your whole identity into the Regnum Christi and then as is often the case, even people who become consecrated leave after a while. From my pc class and the grade ahead of me and behind me...All TOGETHER only 2 girls who became consecrated are still consecrated. Some of my old friends even stopped being catholic after they left because they got so confused of what was catholic and what was just Regnum Christi. God doesnt care if I eat an apple with a knife and fork - many good catholics use their hands, but so much of those small things get mixed in that it becomes hard to separate God's ideas and Catholic from these strange little quirky things about Regnum Christi.[/quote]

Sense of identity? We live for Christ, not for ourselves, it's not a problem that there's no you, it should be like that every day. Think of Mother Theresa, she lived strictly for others, for the poor, there was no her in her daily work. All of the Saints, they didn't think about themselves, and that's what made them Saints.

Out of my grade of 11, only 4 got Consecrated this past Saturday. Not everyone is called to Consecrated life, there's no problem with that. Perhaps God is calling you to marriage.
I highly suspect your proof of friends not being Catholic, I think that would be a lack of Catholic education before you went to the precandidacy than a result of the PC. Catholic formation is constant, you do it your whole life, if your friends wanted to find more about Christ after they left the PC, that's what the catechism is for, that's what RCIA is for. Regnum Christi is a means of getting to know Christ [i]personally[/i], they help you form a friendship with Christ. It's that friendship with Christ that is the grounds for everything you do in life.

God cares about every single little detail in life, how do you know he doesn't care? How do you know he doesn't see every little thing you do? Actually, in todays meditation, the priest talks about being faithful in the little details. If you are called to Regnum Christi, everything that has been developed, like little details like etiquette are acts love. You do them because they will bring you closer to Christ in the long run.

Regnum Christi is strictly an instrument, but like you, people get caught up too much in details and worry too much about [i]them[/i] instead of seeing the reasoning behind it. Regnum Christi is NOT perfect and perhaps some aspects of the movement are not necessary, but right now, the purpose of Regnum Christi is to bring people closer to Christ for the glory of his kingdom. That is the goal and we should always have our eyes on it. It's not just the goal of Regnum Christi, but should be for every Catholic individual.

[quote]Lastly, though this is yet unproven, Pope Benedict does have a case open currently investigating abuse by the founder of Regnum Christi. I think your parents should be fully informed and research other people's experiences in Legionary schools, Regnum Christi and ECYD before they encourage or allow you to participate. I loved the summer camps and was a counselor even after leaving the pc, and I'd be a counselor again, I just don't try to force everyone into ECYD, just get them to talk to God more...not have to obey these made up rules...and have no friends because "everyone is your friend." Girls, you know! (and guys too) there is no substitute for a real live best girl friend (or guy friend)

Seriously people, WHAT WOULD JESUS DO??? Didn't he say take your light out and shine it, not put it in a bushel basket??? I think being really catholic or Christian in a regular school is a much bigger deal than hiding your faith in some school where everyone agrees with you.

Love you all!!! PEACE![/quote]

You know, every movement in the history of the Church has gone through evaluation and investigation. Just like to become a Saint, they need to investigate the whole persons life. Well, Regnum Christi is going through that phase, just because they are being being inspected doesn't mean that we're bad. God's Will has to be thought and prayed about thoroughly, this is what the Church is doing. Regnum Christi is still young.

Every person's experience can differ, I wouldn't rely on people's experience, I would rely on what the Holy Spirit tells you coming from the director of the academy. Boys or girls.
Hun, everybody can be your friend, while you can still have a best friend. At the PC [i][b]Christ is your best friend[/i][/b], and all the pcs are also your friends. If you are not a PC then by all means, Christ should still be your best friend, but you can have a best girlfriend too. It's just that Christ is in everyone so everyone can be your friend. It's not something that is forced, you are forced to be friends with everyone outside of life, you just have to get along with them.

Excuse me, but how is hiding your light under a bushel basket by joining Regnum Christi? On the contrary, you are shining out because you are doing God's Will which is the MOST important thing in your entire life. God can call you to shine out in different areas, perhaps yours is through married life. Everyone has a different vocation, to those who are called to Regnum Christi, you should not discourage it just because it wasn't your vocation. I'm not called to be a nun but I would definitely NOT discourage it to another girl, it's such a beautiful vocation.

It's not a matter of whether it's a bigger deal or not, it's what matters whether it's God's Will or not. Being in a place where you all share the same morals and faith is a HUGE grace! I would pay to be around people that share the same morals as me (i.e friends) but I'm not. I'm in a secular area. If God wants you to serve him by living your life as a Consecrated woman of Regnum Christi; who serves the people in her grade, lives her life being faithful to the little details, you'll certainly get to Heaven, and that's the most important thing.

Whatever happened with Fr. Maciel, or Neustro Padre as they call him? I thought I heard that the Pope asked him to resign and spend the rest of his life doing penance. :(

Edited by Maggie

[quote name='peacenluvbaby' post='855201' date='Jan 13 2006, 03:44 PM']Hi ecyders...I used to be in ecyd and was a precandidate and a coworker. Unfortunately, I wouldn't highly recommend it. There are many attractive things about it, and even good things, but there are a few things you should know, especially if you plan to go Rhode Island.

PLEASE DONT STOP READING!!!!

1. The summer program is awsome and fun and amazing. :)
PC life is a bit of a different story. You must wear a long skirt (even for sports and hikes and at the beach :cool: ), no sleeveless tops, a robe on top of PJs in the dorm (unless you are in bed) and nylons and dressy shoes - not socks or tennis shoes. :saint:

2. The educational quality is not very high. There are no Honors Classes, no AP classes, and the GPA system is so harsh that it can harm your chances of getting into a good college - If it hasn't changed, a 99% (A) counts as a 3.9 GPA, and a 90% (A-) is a 3.0 whereas, at a regular high school a A- is a 3.5.

As a senior in high school, most of the PCs do not even make college applications because they are thinking of becoming consecrated, but then if they don't become consecrated, they lose a year before they can go to college. One girl was even sent away because she started filling out college applications and that was seen as not being "open" to a vocation because she had a "plan B", so they sent her away in the middle of her senior year, and she nearly did not graduate.

Most students do not take SAT IIs or AP exams that would be very helpful for getting into and going to college.
3. You are in "silence" for the entire day except for part of lunch, and other times specifically set aside for talking. When you do get to talk there is always a consecrated member there. Not that that is bad, but it's hard to really express yourself to your friends as a teenager with a "counselor" even a nice and good one standing right there.

9th and 10th graders can't speak to 11th and 12th graders because they are in different "sections" They do not play together or anything.

4. You get to listen to music only on outings, in the car and on special feast days during "chores" Being a music lover, that was very hard on me and others. You are not allowed to have a cd/walkman, and "secular" music is never heard. Only Enya and these recordings of regnum christi women or legionaries singing mostly spanish, but some english songs in a choir.

5. You are allowed to have no "particular friendships" meaning you can't have any friend or girl you share your thoughts with more than any other. If you do, you will be asked to not speak to her at all for a while until you can be equally friends with everyone. :unsure:

6. Your letters and all mail that you send or receive is read by your counselor(consecrated) including letters to your family or friends. :shock: You are also not allowed any contact with friends of yours who are guys ((or girls if you're a guy and go the Legionary PreCandidacy/Apostolic School)

You sometimes have letter writing time and you are encouraged to ask your acquaintences, family and friends for donations or at least to get them to come to retreats and such in RI. My sister was a PC also and she did this, and it made an aunt of mine very upset. :sadder: Letters about hey what's up, or just friendly stuff are considered a waste of time.

7. You have very strict rules of ettiquette - eating apples, oranges, hamburger and donuts with a knife and fork. Getting into your chair from the left and exiting from the right. Using only 4 or 5 squares of toilet paper to...and many more... :ninja:

8. You can receive a call from home once per week for one hour only. If you have a large family, that is about 5-10 minutes per person.

9. You have no (or very restricted) email or internet access. No cell phone either.

10. You must ask your director permission to read any book, literature or spiritual.

11. The food is not particularly healthy (like any other boarding school) and most girls gained weight when they went because of the food and the reduced exercise.

12. You get about 45min-1hour of sports about 3-4 times per week (some days you have kitchen clean up after lunch). All sports are team sports only, no running by yourself for exercise, no competitive sports against other schools,( NO SOCCER! at all because it's not for girls) :maddest: For a sporty person like myself this is very little exercise and I even gained about 15 pounds which I lost when I graduated and began doing college sports and eating my own healthy food.

13. You have set aside times for studying per class. For some people this is nice, but others, who would prefer to do all their homework at once and according to how long they need to study for that class this can be a pain. IE You have a 45 minute period to study history, you finish your homework, now you're supposed to keep studying history even though you're done.... :yawn:

14. If you break one of the many small rules that govern pc life, you are supposed to ask your counselor/guide for a penance - some act of reparation which can range from extra prayers to giving up sports and doing an extra kitchen duty.

15. Although spiritual direction is supposed to be 100% confidential it's not. Sometimes, it happened that another pc would know something I said in spiritual guidance because the consecrated had mentioned it to her as an example, or something. Also every month they make a report about all the pcs and send it to the higher up Regnum Christi/Legionaries.

16. The consecrated can go through your closet and your stuff to see how organized or messy you are - you have no privacy at all. :unsure:

17. The consecrated are very nice people and really are trying to help you, but I don't think it is always a "help." And everything they tell you is "God's will". I don't know if God really cares so much if I wear my hair in a ponytail or down, but they told me He wanted my hair "down" because ponytails are too casual.

18. You have what is called "free time" but you need this time to iron your clothes, clean up your closet, write a letter, etc. and cannot use it to hang out with other pcs or listen to music.

19. Every minute of every day is scheduled. You have only 3 days at home at Christmas - not Christmas Day!!!! You go home the 26th, are at home 27th, 28th, 29th and fly back the 30th. This is a very expensive 72 hour trip.

20. By the end, you might lose some of your sense of identity and it's not on purpose maybe but you're only 14-17 so you begin to put your whole identity into the Regnum Christi and then as is often the case, even people who become consecrated leave after a while. From my pc class and the grade ahead of me and behind me...All TOGETHER only 2 girls who became consecrated are still consecrated. Some of my old friends even stopped being catholic after they left because they got so confused of what was catholic and what was just Regnum Christi. God doesnt care if I eat an apple with a knife and fork - many good catholics use their hands, but so much of those small things get mixed in that it becomes hard to separate God's ideas and Catholic from these strange little quirky things about Regnum Christi.

Lastly, though this is yet unproven, Pope Benedict does have a case open currently investigating abuse by the founder of Regnum Christi. I think your parents should be fully informed and research other people's experiences in Legionary schools, Regnum Christi and ECYD before they encourage or allow you to participate. I loved the summer camps and was a counselor even after leaving the pc, and I'd be a counselor again, I just don't try to force everyone into ECYD, just get them to talk to God more...not have to obey these made up rules...and have no friends because "everyone is your friend." Girls, you know! (and guys too) there is no substitute for a real live best girl friend (or guy friend)

Seriously people, WHAT WOULD JESUS DO??? Didn't he say take your light out and shine it, not put it in a bushel basket??? I think being really catholic or Christian in a regular school is a much bigger deal than hiding your faith in some school where everyone agrees with you.

Love you all!!! PEACE![/quote]

Not to make any enemies, but I used to be in ECYD, was a team leader, involved in helping out with a Regnum Christi school, and have several friends who went to the school in RI. Based on all they have told me (and my sister, who was there for a few weeks at the summer program) everything this member says is true as far as I know.

[quote name='dudette']Regnum Christi is strictly an instrument, but like you, people get caught up too much in details and worry too much about them instead of seeing the reasoning behind it.[/quote]

I think it's very presumptuous to assume that someone doesn't [i]see[/i] the reasoning behind these practices. The problem just may be that there is not very good reasoning. We have asked consecrated women "why do you cut up your food", and one woman told us it was to be like other cultures so they'd fit in anywhere. That's just an example... For a spiritual counselor to be telling a young woman that mundane things, morally neutral actions, are "God's will" which way we choose to do them is not the mind of the Church, in my understanding of the matter. For a boarding school to have RULES, such as, "You wear your hair down because it's more formal", that's perfectly fine. The girl could choose not to go there if she thought that was silly. But it is entiiiiirely different for these leaders to be telling young women that you wear your hair down because it's "God's will". It is wrong.

Edited by Totus Tuus

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1367922' date='Aug 22 2007, 11:53 AM']Not to make any enemies, but I used to be in ECYD, was a team leader, involved in helping out with a Regnum Christi school, and have several friends who went to the school in RI. Based on all they have told me (and my sister, who was there for a few weeks at the summer program) everything this member says is true as far as I know.
I think it's very presumptuous to assume that someone doesn't [i]see[/i] the reasoning behind these practices. The problem just may be that there is not very good reasoning. We have asked consecrated women "why do you cut up your food", and one woman told us it was to be like other cultures so they'd fit in anywhere. That's just an example... For a spiritual counselor to be telling a young woman that mundane things, morally neutral actions, are "God's will" which way we choose to do them is not the mind of the Church, in my understanding of the matter. For a boarding school to have RULES, such as, "You wear your hair down because it's more formal", that's perfectly fine. The girl could choose not to go there if she thought that was silly. But it is entiiiiirely different for these leaders to be telling young women that you wear your hair down because it's "God's will". It is wrong.[/quote]

Of course. But being a precandidate, you are taught a lot on obedience, you can still ask questions and you'll get answers. How you take those answers is another matter.

Another thing about the hair, no Consecrated is going to go around telling you to do things because it's God's Will, you will obey the rules because you know that through these minor details you are going to love Christ and you are doing what he wants for you in that moment. (i.e. God's Will.) Simply stated, you're obeying because [i]you love Christ[/i]. That's basically all it boils down to.

Perhaps some of you don't understand what areas God's Will covers. God's Will covers everything we do in life, down the the tiniest thing, (except whether I should wear red or blue hand band.) Like St. Therese, it is the little things in life that count, we can't do anything big. God relies on us to be faithful in those small areas.

Also, I'm not saying that pecanluvbaby is [i]wrong[/i]. But there are different ways of putting truth: negative or positive depending on the actual truth. All of it, was unnecessary negativity. I already explained, point by point that the precandidacy is not a negative place, some are called, some are not. If one is not, that's that. I was not called, but I still encourage other girls to go, [i]because it's a beautiful God loving place[/i]

Edited by Dudette

Deus te Amat

my friend went to the precandidacy last year and she loved it. She discerned that she wasnt called to the Regnum Christi order, but rather an active/contemplative order, so she left. But two of her sisters are Regnum Christi sisters and are truly happy in their calling.

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1368741' date='Aug 23 2007, 07:56 AM']my friend went to the precandidacy last year and she loved it. She discerned that she wasnt called to the Regnum Christi order, but rather an active/contemplative order, so she left. But two of her sisters are Regnum Christi sisters and are truly happy in their calling.[/quote]

Regnum Christi isn't an Order, it's a movement. The Legionaries of Christ are an Order, and they have the same spirituality, but Regnum Christi is the movement specifically for lay people (including the consecrated women). I believe the only Order Fr. Maciel founded was the Legion of Christ but I'm not positive. The women who dedicate their lives to it make personal promises as opposed to vows. From what I understand they can leave without having to get permission from anybody, while a sister in vows would have to get permission from the bishop and/or Holy Father. Dudette might know more about this.

IrishSalesian

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1368821' date='Aug 23 2007, 10:56 AM']Regnum Christi isn't an Order, it's a movement. The Legionaries of Christ are an Order, and they have the same spirituality, but Regnum Christi is the movement specifically for lay people (including the consecrated women). I believe the only Order Fr. Maciel founded was the Legion of Christ but I'm not positive. The women who dedicate their lives to it make personal promises as opposed to vows. From what I understand they can leave without having to get permission from anybody, while a sister in vows would have to get permission from the bishop and/or Holy Father. Dudette might know more about this.[/quote]
I had an aunt who left an order, The Sisters of the Cross and Passion, and she had to get the Holy Fathers approval.

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1368821' date='Aug 23 2007, 08:56 AM']Regnum Christi isn't an Order, it's a movement. The Legionaries of Christ are an Order, and they have the same spirituality, but Regnum Christi is the movement specifically for lay people (including the consecrated women). I believe the only Order Fr. Maciel founded was the Legion of Christ but I'm not positive. The women who dedicate their lives to it make personal promises as opposed to vows. From what I understand they can leave without having to get permission from anybody, while a sister in vows would have to get permission from the bishop and/or Holy Father. Dudette might know more about this.[/quote]

Fr. Maciel did found the Legionaries of Christ, yes. The Consecrated do make promises, but they professed like vows (they aren't vows though)

I have a few friends who were Consecrated and they no longer are. It always goes to the General Director, and the General Director discerns/prays about it and then gives permission.

Edited by Dudette

[quote name='IrishSalesian' post='1368841' date='Aug 23 2007, 10:22 AM']I had an aunt who left an order, The Sisters of the Cross and Passion, and she had to get the Holy Fathers approval.[/quote]

Yeah, it depends on whether you're in solemn/perpetual vows or not. I think sisters in temporary vows (one year at a time) can get a dispensation from the bishop, and in some cases maybe just the abbess? Not sure :)