An Old School Catholic Message Board

Who Can Go To Heaven?

immaculata

Some guys in my class were asking me questions the other day, and I wasn't exactly sure how to answer..

They were questioning whether or not only Catholics go to heaven. Then they started on, "Well, what if they don't believe in God, but they still live a good life?"

What exactly is required for salvation? What happens to faithful Muslims or Jews?

The Second Vatican Council twice declared the necessity of the Church for salvation: "Hence those people could not be saved, who, not ignorant that the Catholic Church has been founded as necessary by God through Jesus Christ would still refuse either to enter it or to remain in it." Lumen Gentium (on The Church) art14; Ad Gentes (on Missions),art 7, CCC846

Since the coming of the Saviour, God commands all to be members of his Church. Those who deliberately disobey Him will Be lost. But since He condems no one except for a grave fault, He will not condem those who through ignorance are unaware of His precept, who serve Him faithfully according to their consience, who have a sincere desirt to do His will and therefore we would say have an implicit desire to become members of his Church.

The Ancient phrase, "Outside the Church there is no salvation",(St Cyprian)was addressed to those already in the Church, lest they be tempted to join heretical groups or abandon the faith. It was not a statement that all non-Catholics were condemned.

However we must never let any theory about the salvation of non-Catholics undermine our apostolic and missionary endeavours. Since Christ gave us the command to go and teach all nations, and since all people have a right to know God, for "God our saviour desires all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth." 1Tim2:3-4

I hope this answere at least part of your question. As to what is required one might say faith in the creed of the church as it contains the very basis of our belief.

This was passed on to me I think it is very good so I pass it on to the Phorum

In his encyclical (I think it was an encyclical, maybe not) Dominus Iesus, the Holy Father points out that if a non-Catholic or non-Christian is saved, it is by by Christ, through the Church. Regardless of what a Muslim for example believes about salvation, if that Muslim, through no fault of his or her own, does not enter full communion with the Catholic Church, he or she goes to Heaven, by Christ, through the Church.

Christ died once for ALL, meaning that the redemptive act of Christ was enough to redeem us all, regardless of whether or not we are within the visible confines of the Catholic Church on earth.

God Bless