An Old School Catholic Message Board

Drug Your Baby

dUSt

littleflower+JMJ

you know whats sad? when doctors prescribe medicine and the parents give it to the kids and it like makes them sluggish, slow and their not themselves?

my sister use to babysit for a kid to took that medicine, the father would give it to him but the grandmother always refused to give that "evil" medicine to him, once he took it, he just sat there and stared into space....i think that is soo wrong....i always felt there was something wrogn with using it, and it always irked me to think about what damage this kid might have.....i always had a bad feeling about it...

who can do that to a kid?

:(

When I was a kid, my dad use to give me "the look". I try the same thing with my daughter and she laughs at me and calls me a fat head.

My dad used to give me a look too. It usually worked. If not, he'd just say my name in this deep voice that meant I was gonna be in trouble. Tha always worked cuz I knew that voice meant a grounding was coming. :(

My dad never had to spank me. I still can't figure out how he disciplined all of us with just a look and his voice.

When I was a kid, my dad use to give me "the look". I try the same thing with my daughter and she laughs at me and calls me a fat head.

Well, at least she doesn't call you a ......

that word... :(

:lol::lol::lol:

The Benadryl on planes is for motion sickness, not to drug them. It's safer than dramamine. The antihistamine dries up some of the fluid in the ear. We get our balance from how we sense the fluid in our ears. When our ears don't agree with our eyes or body sensation, we get dizzy and that causes 'motion sickness'.

Anbesol is what we gave our kids for teething.

I totally disagree with giving kids drugs or alcohol to 'calm them'. That is teaching your kids to turn to drugs for behavioral issues instead of dealing with them. I'd rather see a kid get spanked then drugged, though ignoring bad behavior is worse.

Kilroy the Ninja

Ok, I don't know if I should be worried or not....

But...

the baby Ninja Crusdaer "knows" what the baby Tylenol bottle looks like.

We affectionatly refer to it as "Baby Crack".

We're bad. We should be punished...

In fact, he will calm down immediately as soon as he sees the bottle.

But we don't give it to him everyday I swear!! In fact, it's been almost a week since the last time he had it, but I'm willing to bet part and parcel that if he was upset with teething pain all we'd have to do is pull it out of the diaper bag and voila, insta calm....

Oh, and on the rare occassion that I actually get frustrated with him and raise my voice (I'm not perfect...WHAT an understatement!!!!) usually it's only to say his name, just REALLY loud (and not right in his ear I swear!), he stops what he's doing, looks at me and then just breaks into laughter.

How can you be mad at that? :(

My best friend used to keep a tiny bottle (airplane) size of Jack Daniels in the diaper bag for teething pain.

Heck, anbesol and orajel are mostly alcohol anyway. :blink:

Anbesol is some strong stuff. One of my friends decided she wanted to try some, only she slathered it on her tongue and lips! Her tongue and lips went numb and she couldn't help but drool for awhile.

Oh man, it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Too bad I didn't have a camera with me.

IcePrincessKRS

I totally disagree with giving kids drugs or alcohol to 'calm them'.  That is teaching your kids to turn to drugs for behavioral issues instead of dealing with them.  I'd rather see a kid get spanked then drugged, though ignoring bad behavior is worse.

Agreed. My parents never "drugged" us up like that, and I don't plan to with my child(ren) either. I'm a firm believer in "sometimes a spanking is necessary." Thats not to say I'm going to crack out the whip every time my kid misbehaves, but sometimes a spanking is called for.

Benadryl for kids is really scary. A daycare provider and her worker were just charged in my city for manslaughter because they gave some Benadryl to a baby and the baby died. They said they did it because the baby never stopped crying. Sad. :(

IcePrincessKRS

Did you know there is basically no difference between "children" Benadryl and "adult" Benadryl? (I'm not sure about infant Benadryl--do they even make it for infants?) Two summers ago when I was living in Houston my uncle was having some bad allergies and my aunt and I went to get him some Benadryl, we went from store to store finding only "Children's Benadryl" finally at one Walgreen's the pharmacist was there and I asked him about it and he said they were the same thing the company had just changed the label. Given that fact, it doesn't suprise me that someone could overdose a baby and the result would be the death of the child. :(

Don John of Austria

Well I don't approve of giving alcoho to "calm them down" but wiskey or brandy on the gums for teething pain is fine. l

Benadryl for kids is really scary. A daycare provider and her worker were just charged in my city for manslaughter because they gave some Benadryl to a baby and the baby died. They said they did it because the baby never stopped crying. Sad. :(

They must have seriously overdosed her then.

Usually if you give a little too much Benadryl, the result is the opposite of the desired effect...instead of making a kid sleepy, it can make them hyperactive. So for this baby to die, she must have given alot. Also, Benadryl for little babes is not a good idea...it's usually given to children.

Edited by Lil Red

cmotherofpirl

We give Ashley benadryl when it's like ten at night (right now) and she comes out of her room for the fifth time for a glass of water.  It's evil I know, but everyone can't have good parents.

Put a glass of water next to her bed, put classical music on the radio.