An Old School Catholic Message Board

Holy Water

Guest Guest_DesiringMore

Guest Guest_DesiringMore

Where does the whole Holy Water belief come from? What is the reason for doing it as you come into the church for mass? Since I was raised Catholic, when I go to mass I make the sign of the cross with the holy water and I genuflect when I don't forget--partially out of respect and reverance--partially because I know that's what you're suppose to do--partially b/c, oh I guess there are lots of reasons... but i'm trying to understand the Church teachings and the reasons behind such things...

The Holy Water is meant to represent our Baptismal water. When we enter the Church and bless ourselves (make the sign of the cross) with the Holy Water, we are symbollically calling to mind our baptism. So, everytime we enter for mass, we recall that Sacrament (Baptism) which initiates us into the Christian Mystery and makes our participation in the Church possible.

Holy Water is normal water that has been blessed, that is, it has been designated, by a priestly blessing, as sacred and for a special use (baptism, blessing, etc.).

As Blazer said, we use Holy Water to remember baptism, and the amazing gift of forgiveness that we have been given as Christians. We sign ourselves with the sign of the cross, as a way to express that we have been brought into the divine life of God. The Father has sent the Son into the world and he returned to the Father by the power of the Holy Spirit, and we have been brought into this circle of saving action. We do this as we enter the Church as a way to acknowledge that it is through this saving action of the trinity that we have the priviledge to be part of the Body of Christ.

We genuflect to the tabernacle, because the presence of Jesus Christ exists there "par excellence". (Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity) He is really and truly present. And as men and women used to genuflect in the presence of their King, so do we acknowledge, through this action, that Jesus is Our King, and here with us in a special way.

Fr. P

By the way, MC Just just shared a scripture passage with me that might help too.

Numbers 5:17

And the priest shall take holy water in an earthen vessel; and of the dust that is in the floor of the tabernacle the priest shall take, and put it into the water:

So there is also a tradition in Judaism for using water in a sacred purpose.