An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sister Servants of the Eternal Word

Sixtina87

[quote name='jgirl' date='Feb 7 2006, 07:46 AM']My advice: don't be too hyper! They are more quiet, joyful Sisters than the giddy, joyful ones in Alton (although they do have fun and can get loud, like this one time that we played Apples to Apples). I love the Sisters to death, which is why I applied to enter!

Also, when you go on retreat, hang out with some of the Southern women. They are always a blast and so sweet. This one time, there was a group of women from Memphis on retreat, and one of them told the rest of them that Sr. Greta (the Summit Dominican postulant who was visiting before she entered) and I were  "foreigners." Apparently they heard us talking, and I said something like, "In this country..." and she took it to mean that we weren't from America (plus we didn't have Southern accents). So at Sunday lunch, they complimented us on how well we spoke English. We laughed pretty hard about it!

My advice is that when you go, don't go just with the intention of discerning. Really take the time to just be with God. It's not like a discernment retreat where you are always with the Sisters. You will see them, and they will probably sit at your table when you eat to get to know you, but you won't necessarily get to hang out with them during the retreat because they are doing their duties. That's why I always go down on Thursday and leave Monday morning (plus the tickets are usually cheaper). On the Friday you will get to work with one or a few of the Sisters. Last time I did weeding, barbecuing, and shrink wrapping. It was funny because I never know what I'm going to be doing, so I bring different clothes for different scenarios. I didn't know what my task would be, so I put on nice clothes, and then Sister Louise Marie looked at me, and said, "You look lovely, but you might want to change because you're going to be pulling weeds!" And you can bring jeans to wear on Friday and Saturday, but nice clothes for Sunday (although I usually change after Mass). It's really cold in the conference room/chapel, so you probably want to bring a sweater.
[right][snapback]878602[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

thanks agian for the PM and this comment. It really does help. I was planning on bringing a shirt and just dress like t-shirts that are plain.....i have too many screen-tees but the sisters might not understand the sayings or might think its childish, tlaking about my care bears shirts!!! So what kind of cloths do you think i should bring??? thanks for the advice agian but keep 'em comming!!!!

LOL!!!

[quote name='OLAM Dad' date='Feb 7 2006, 08:14 AM']Sixtina,

They are awesome.  I've visited them several times.  I hope you like to work, they are hard workers.  Every time we go to EWTN or Hanceville we go say hi to Sr. Louise Marie and the other sisters.  We visited them in December after Sr. Lauren's entrance.  Sr. Lauren discerned with them as well.  They really enjoy it when we bring our kids, the kids enjoy it too.

They are very close to EWTN, about a mile.

I agree about Sr. Ave Marie, she's a nut! :crazy:  :)  I agree with Jenny, she is a great artist.  She painted the big Our Lady of Guadalupe display in their meeting room.

You're going to love it there.  [b]Be yourself[/b], they need to see the real you just as you are going to see the real them.
[right][snapback]878623[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

thanks dad....i found the phorum that Sr. lauren started when she was discerning with them. I ws really amazed and i found myself loving them more. I'm glad you loved being with the Sisters and seeing them....Thanks for the advice, i dont know about being myself...at work i try to be myself but i get "yelled" at cuz i'm more of a person who likes to joke around but for some reason when i visit rleigious communities i am not that way. What else can you tell me about the sisters??

thanks again dad!!!

[quote name='Mary-Kathryn' date='Feb 7 2006, 08:18 AM']My home state !
  Oh, and check the local weather.  For some reason people want to think Alabama is like a Carribean Island: warm, tropical and bathing suit time.....Alabama does have winters!!
[right][snapback]878594[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

My friend from a Canadian point of view, Alabama's winter is the Caribbean for us :D: -1 C (31F) Balmy!!!!

daugher-of-Mary

They are such a lovely, holy bunch of Sisters! A dear friend of mine belongs to that community...please say "hi" to Sr. Mary Faustina from Elizabeth in PA for me!

I agree with jgirl...don't go with the intention of discerning that community in particular. Go with the intention of giving your heart and future more completely to God. There will be plenty of time to spend just with Him, so make good use of it! Let Him love you, and love Him, and leave the rest in His hands.

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Feb 7 2006, 12:34 PM']thanks agian for the PM and this comment. It really does help. I was planning on bringing a shirt and just dress like t-shirts that are plain.....i have too many screen-tees but the sisters might not understand the sayings or might think its childish, tlaking about my care bears shirts!!!  So what kind of cloths do you think i should bring??? thanks for the advice agian but keep 'em comming!!!!

LOL!!!
[right][snapback]878988[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
For the comfortable shoes, bring sneakers. They have gravel, and you'll probably go on at least one Rosary walk. Definitely don't bring the boots! I wore lace patterned tights when I got off the plane for my first visit, and even though they only saw them for a few minutes because I got in at 2 am, rumor has it that I wore fishnets (which they could have been confused for easily in the dark). I usually bring nice shirts and nice jeans or pants because that's how I usually dress. I probably wouldn't go with Care Bears, though (I do say that as one who has a change purse that's the shape of Hello Kitty's head).

Be yourself, but take a step back and see what flies. Don't be scared. They are all very easy to talk to!

Ora et Labora

Wow, what a blessing Phatmass is. You've received great advice from everybody.

What else can I tell you about the sisters? Not much! I know enough to tell you that if you decide God wants you to join them and you answer His call that you will live a full life. Full of joy, full of prayer, full of service, and full of work.

You're taking a leap here. I pray that God will give you a soft landing.
Don't over analyse things! (you know you have a tendancy to do that, don't you?) :)

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' date='Feb 7 2006, 07:12 PM']They are such a lovely, holy bunch of Sisters! A dear friend of mine belongs to that community...please say "hi" to Sr. Mary Faustina from Elizabeth in PA for me!

I agree with jgirl...don't go with the intention of discerning that community in particular. Go with the intention of giving your heart and future more completely to God. There will be plenty of time to spend just with Him, so make good use of it! Let Him love you, and love Him, and leave the rest in His hands.
[right][snapback]879527[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

i will certainly say hi, if i can remember....and thaks for adding on for the advice too!!!

[quote name='jgirl' date='Feb 7 2006, 07:29 PM']For the comfortable shoes, bring sneakers. They have gravel, and you'll probably go on at least one Rosary walk. Definitely don't bring the boots! I wore lace patterned tights when I got off the plane for my first visit, and even though they only saw them for a few minutes because I got in at 2 am, rumor has it that I wore fishnets (which they could have been confused for easily in the dark). I usually bring nice shirts and nice jeans or pants because that's how I usually dress. I probably wouldn't go with Care Bears, though (I do say that as one who has a change purse that's the shape of Hello Kitty's head).

Be yourself, but take a step back and see what flies. Don't be scared. They are all very easy to talk to!
[right][snapback]879537[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

thanks, but i dont have sneakers!!! i haent worn them since i graduated. i wear boots, heels, slippers, and flip flops. the boots are the only thing that goes well with my jeans and a few skirts!!! i could see why the sisters thought that...i hate fishnet...but they can be comfortable at times...ie hot summer/spring days.....with work i dress in black pants or skirts with the boots, and a 2 piece top (a tank top and shrug). i dont have a care bear purse but i dont have shirts with care bears on them...i alkwys bring my care bear that was given to me for confirmation...it helps me for some reason...and i also bring a fleece blanket that has care bears on it as well. i bring those for personal reasons. i took the care bear on a visit once and one of the novices grabbed the bear and started playing with it and started singing a song from the tv show...i was laughing so hard!!! But i can see what you mean. i'm still scared...thanks jen!!!

[quote name='Ora et Labora' date='Feb 7 2006, 08:02 PM']Wow, what a blessing Phatmass is.  You've received great advice from everybody.

What else can I tell you about the sisters?  Not much!  I know enough to tell you that if you decide God wants you to join them and you answer His call that you will live a full life.  Full of joy, full of prayer, full of service, and full of work.

You're taking a leap here.  I pray that God will give you a soft landing.
Don't over analyse things!  (you know you have a tendancy to do that, don't you?)  :)
[right][snapback]879575[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

thanks dad for the advice. what do you mean by i tend to analyse things?? :idontknow: :idontknow: and i do agree that everyone seems to be helpful on this subject!!!

[quote name='Sixtina87' date='Feb 7 2006, 09:25 PM']thanks, but i dont have sneakers!!! i haent worn them since i graduated. i wear boots, heels, slippers, and flip flops. the boots are the only thing that goes well with my jeans and a few skirts!!![right][snapback]879686[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Don't worry! The Sisters will probably let you borrow a pair. When I visited, I didn't bring any working shoes, but the Sisters lent me some really ugly, really comfortable, black lace-ups. I heart ugly shoes, so I was pleased as punch :)

i hate borrowing other ppls shoes.....But i think i'll be fine in my boots or what ever i bring. It might be too cold to even go outside...i hope so!!!!

I do not know much about this community, but know that i am keeping you in my prayers and hope you have a wonderful visit and will ask the holy spirit to guide you!!

God Bless You!