An Old School Catholic Message Board

Marriage

LTNgurl

i recently returned to church after years of confusing in my life. Now that i am in a serious relationship, i would like to get married in the church. the problem is taht i havent received my first communion and confirmation. I dont know the requierements of the church.

in order to get married in the catholic church, do i have to attend "classes"? must i have all my sacraments(first communion, confirmation)?is there a fee that we must pay to get married in the church? is it ok for a non-catholic to get married in the church?(my bf is non-catholic)

thank you.

I would suggest that you talk to your parish priest, or a priest from the nearest parish if you do not call anywhere home just yet.

The priest might suggest that you enroll in the RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) in order to prepare for your first communion and confirmation. I think it would be a great way for you to play catch up about the faith and to receive these powerful sacraments as well. If your boyfriend would be open to it, he could join the RCIA as well and be fully initiated into the Church whenever you receive first communion and confirmation. Most of the time the RCIA prepares people for the Easter Vigil Mass. It is the Mass when we bring new people into the Church, usually. Certainly, if your boyfriend goes and then changes his mind and doesn't want to go through with it, then that is up to him. He does not have to be Catholic in order for you to be married. If he has never been baptized then the priest will need to receive permission from the Bishop, but it is very possible.

If the RCIA seems like something you want to do, then I would talk to a priest about it. The RCIA program does vary though from parish to parish, some are really good and give great information, and others are terrible. The people of this board can help you decifer that aspect when the time comes.

I will pray for you as you continue your journey.

Peace

Fr. Pontifex