An Old School Catholic Message Board

What form of govt. do you think is best?

Resurrexi

What form of government do you think is best?  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Which polotical system do you believe in? I personally believe in a Catholic Monarchy, but Catholic Theocracy is better than Non-Catholic Monarchy.

Edit: Just so everyone knows, by "Catholic Theocracy" I mean "A government ruled by Ecclesiastical Authorities (e.g. The Pope, Cardinals, Bishops, etc.)

Edited by StThomasMore

Non-Catholic democracy -- non-Catholic as in, not governed by the Church or exclusively by Catholics. But firmly rooted in Judeo-Christian ethics and values.

In a word, America.

Edited by Nathan

Parliamentary Democracy, with a Catholic Monarch.

Isn't a Republic a democratric country? There isn't really any difference there.

And there are WAY too many options there.

[quote]Isn't a Republic a democratric country? There isn't really any difference there. [/quote]

No, not exactly.

[quote]Main Entry: re·pub·lic
Pronunciation: ri-'p&-blik
Function: noun
Etymology: French république, from Middle French republique, from Latin respublica, from res thing, wealth + publica, feminine of publicus public -- more at REAL, PUBLIC
1 a (1) : a government having a chief of state who is not a monarch and who in modern times is usually a president (2) : a political unit (as a nation) having such a form of government b (1) : a government in which supreme power resides in a body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by elected officers and representatives responsible to them and governing according to law (2) : a political unit (as a nation) having such a form of government c : a usually specified republican government of a political unit <the French Fourth Republic>
2 : a body of persons freely engaged in a specified activity <the republic of letters>
3 : a constituent political and territorial unit of the former nations of Czechoslovakia, the U.S.S.R., or Yugoslavia [/quote]

[quote]Main Entry: de·moc·ra·cy
Pronunciation: di-'mä-kr&-sE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -cies
Etymology: Middle French democratie, from Late Latin democratia, from Greek dEmokratia, from dEmos + -kratia -cracy
1 a : government by the people; especially : rule of the majority b : a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections
2 : a political unit that has a democratic government
3 capitalized : the principles and policies of the Democratic party in the U.S.
4 : the common people especially when constituting the source of political authority
5 : the absence of hereditary or arbitrary class distinctions or privileges  
[/quote]

[quote]Parliamentary Democracy, with a Catholic Monarch. [/quote]

so you would fit well in England before 1534, eh?

Edited by StThomasMore

[quote]How would "Catholic Anarchy" work? [/quote]

ever heard of Guy Fawkes?

edit: oh, and I was talking to Sam (EENS) and he said that if he werent temporarily banned, he would vote "Catholic Monarchy"

Edited by StThomasMore

[quote name='StThomasMore' date='Feb 12 2006, 07:07 PM']ever heard of Guy Fawkes?

edit: oh, and I was talking to Sam (EENS) and he said that if he werent temporarily banned, he would vote "Catholic Monarchy"
[right][snapback]884994[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Guy Fawkes was not an advocate of anarchy. Catholic or otherwise. He was not in favor of an absence of any cohesive principle, such as a common standard or purpose.

And to be honest, anarchy is contrary to Catholic thought. Catholicism has never advocated a state of lawlessness and disorder or political disorder and confusion.

If you can point to where this is the case, show us.

I am not an anarchist, so I have no point to make. I, personally, wouldnt think that there would be a Catholic dictatorship either, but I made a Catholic and pagan (pagan=any non-Catholic religion or no formal state religion) choice for each polotical system.

Edited by StThomasMore

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Cam42' date='Feb 12 2006, 05:35 PM']I happen to favor a representative democracy.  I believe that it is the most liberating form of government in society today.
[right][snapback]884974[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:yes:

I hate to be finiky but its political system. Out of prefence I'd choose a limited monarchy but thats not for religious reasons but theoretical ones. My opinion of what the games of government and politics can achieve is not high and all in all I've adopted the ideaology of St Augustine as presented in his 'City of God'.

The earthly city is the product of original sin and inextricably bound up with original sin accordingly there will never be a perfect political system. Politics itself is a product of the will to dominate which arises from original sin. Accordingly it is inherently corrupt.

So long as political systems do not set themselves in opposition to the Heavenly City I dont care which I live under. So long as we are free to expand the Kingdom of God and practice the faith of the Church I'm not bothered with the system of rule. Rome wasn't built in a day but it collaspsed overnight. Only the Heavenly City will be present at the end of days and thus so long as the earthly city--regardless of its form--doesn't try to oppose it, let civilisations stand and fall it matters not to me.

Edited by Myles

Laudate_Dominum

I'm now an anarchist.

Inspired by the Bible, the desert fathers, St. Francis of Assisi, Tolstoy, Ghandi, Kierkegaard, Thoreau, Dorothy Day, Berdyaev, and Hagerty.

Ok, I'm kidding.. I'm still a neo-distributist panarchist. To avoid confusion, let's just say I'm Chestertonian and Bellocian at heart.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Cam42' date='Feb 12 2006, 04:35 PM']I happen to favor a representative democracy.  I believe that it is the most liberating form of government in society today.
[right][snapback]884974[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I think it's masonic revolutionary filth that degrades humanity and ultimately overthrows all that is authentically human with a mechanistic and evil will to power. All in the name of freedom of course.

The decendants of Brian Borumha mac Cennetig ought to rule the world. The empire of the Dal gCais shall rise!
I advocate the supreme dominion of the Lord Inchiquin and seek to elevate the clan of Aloysius of Inishowen.

I'm just playing.

The Church rejects a theocracy, as you define it ("A government ruled by Ecclesiastical Authorities"):

[quote]Here politics and faith meet. Faith by its specific nature is an encounter with the living God—an encounter opening up new horizons extending beyond the sphere of reason. But it is also a purifying force for reason itself. From God's standpoint, faith liberates reason from its blind spots and therefore helps it to be ever more fully itself. Faith enables reason to do its work more effectively and to see its proper object more clearly. This is where Catholic social doctrine has its place: it has no intention of giving the Church power over the State. Even less is it an attempt to impose on those who do not share the faith ways of thinking and modes of conduct proper to faith. Its aim is simply to help purify reason and to contribute, here and now, to the acknowledgment and attainment of what is just.

--Pope Benedict XVI, Encyclical Letter "Deus Caritas Est"[/quote]

Edited by Era Might