An Old School Catholic Message Board

Original Bible

Seraphim

Hi there,

I think I need a little Church history lesson. The original books of the Old Testament were written in Hebrew and the New Testament in Greek, correct? Who brought all of these writtings together, cannonized them and made them into The Bible? What was the original number of books vs. the number in our Bible today? If some were added/removed, how come? I've read that the original order of the books has been changed. Is this true? Lastly, which Bible most closely resembles the first one put together?

Thank you for your time,

~*In Christ*~

Seraphim

This is the best answer I can give without my books.

The Bible we have now comes from the few of many "Scriptures" approved by the Catholic Church around AD 397. This being the first official Bible, anything having more or less books is an innovation. About eleven centuries after the Bible as we know it was "assembled", Martin Luther a German priest, rejected the Deuterocanonical books, a decision echoing that of Jewish Rabbis at the council of Jamnia AD90.

The original number of books in the Bible is the same as that of any Catholic Bible today, as no actual Bible existed prior to action by the Church.

Bible Article link