zunshynn

Oh yeah, here's there horarium
5 am Rise
5.30 am Silent prayer
6.30 am Lauds (Great Silence ends)
7 am Mass, Terce
8.10 am Breakfast (bread and coffee) and then manual work
11.15 am Sext, None, Examen of Conscience
11.45 am Dinner (main meal in silence---they fast from Sept to Easter)
12.30 pm Angelus and Recreation
1.30 pm Quiet time
2.30 pm Spiritual reading
3.15 pm Manual work
4.50 pm Vespers and Commemorations of Carmelite Saints
5.20 pm Silent Prayer
6.20 pm Angelus, Rosary, Supper (smaller meal)
7.30 pm Hour of Recreation
8.30 pm Examen of Conscience and Compline, Hymn in honor of Mary and beginning of Great Silence
9.30 pm Matins
10.15 pm Retire

They were begun in 1927 when their sisters from Guadalajara fled from persecution in Mexico and they lived in an apartment in San Francisco (now the guest house) then a lady named Rita Shomo left them her estate to build the chapel and monastery. They have a foundation in Valparaiso, Nebraska which chants the Office in Latin and celebrates the Tridentine Mass with the FSSP.

They don't have a website but there are some pictures of their chapel at [url="http://www.jnelson.com/Church%20Installs/carmelite_monastery.htm"]http://www.jnelson.com/Church%20Installs/c...e_monastery.htm[/url] . I'll let you see my pictures too, although I was too shy to ask the nuns for pictures so I only have one with me and mother. :lol:

[quote name='zunshynn' date='Mar 14 2006, 07:14 PM'] Like I said, I realized that adoration is so deeply important to me... I mean it's where I fell in love with Jesus :love: ... I want to enter an order that has more emphasis on adoration... preferably perpetual. It did give me the feeling that I really am going to find the most fulfillment in contemplative life... which is still a little scary at this point.

[right][snapback]911895[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I am so glad that you had a good time there, experiencing the Office, etc.

Oh and Zunshynn? ~innocent smile~ We have perpetual Adoration :D: :saint:

[quote name='magnificat' date='Mar 14 2006, 09:31 PM']:scratchhead: ...she hasn't even entered yet and she's already recruiting!
[right][snapback]911995[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well why not? :cool:

Laurentina1975

Holy Guacamole.

That has to be literally one of the most beautifulest chapels I have ever laid eyes on...I just went there. (Oh BTW, I KNOW beautifulest isn't a word)...Anywhoo....wowsers....that is like sooooooooo bEAUtiful!

brandelynmarie
:shock: <----Whoa! :lol_roll: Now THAT"S A CHAPEL! Glad you had a fruitful experience! :banana: ( :blush: Sorry!) Pace e bene, Brandelyn

lol, yeah and the picture doesn't even give it justice. Like I saw the pics before I went and I was like ooh, very pretty... I want to go there! But when I actually went I was like, oh my gosh how beautiful! The picture there is from the choir loft in the back of the church, so hopefully my pictures, which are a little closer up will show the detail of the altar more.

Thanks Denise... actually, I'm kind of being drawn more to the PCPAs... lol. I'm kind of shocked though. I never wanted to be a contemplative. And I never felt very strongly called to Franciscan spirituality. But then, I think what I'm starting to love about the Franciscans is that they have a deep love for all of the spiritualities of the Church, whereas some of the others seem to... i don't know, look down on (for lack of a better word) other spiritualities. And I have to admit I'm starting to really love what I'm finding about St. Francis.

When I met the PCPAs in SF in January... something really clicked... and of course with Sr. Lauren and you... well, we'll see.

[quote name='zunshynn' date='Mar 15 2006, 10:24 AM']

Thanks Denise... actually, I'm kind of being drawn more to the PCPAs... lol. I'm kind of shocked though. I never wanted to be a contemplative. And I never felt very strongly called to Franciscan spirituality. But then, I think what I'm starting to love about the Franciscans is that they have a deep love for all of the spiritualities of the Church, whereas some of the others seem to... i don't know, look down on (for lack of a better word) other spiritualities. And I have to admit I'm starting to really love what I'm finding about St. Francis.
[right][snapback]912393[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:lol_roll: You've never felt called to Franciscans? LOL That's what you get for thinking. :lol_roll:

Seriously, though, I always thought I was to be a Carmelite. :idontknow:

And yes, I know what you mean about them having a deep love for ALL the Church and their spiritualities. . . .I think I mentioned this before, but when I went to Ohio and saw the statues of OL of My Carmel, and St Therese . .I :blink: and asked Rev. Mother if I was in a Carmel! LOL She laughed and then said that before they were Carmelite, they (the saints) were Catholic, that these saints were worthy of love by all His Church.

God bless you on your journey . . .I will pray for you.

Marieteresa

Hey missy did you know that there is one Carmelite monastery in the US which has perpetual adoration? I think its in the St. Louis area.......Athough PCPA's are beautiful as well

St Louis was asked to add Adoration to their Horarium, by their Archbishop.

Hey Shernel, you're leavin' on a jet plane! Woohoo Are you so excited?! I will be praying for you. I go to work tomorrow, my second to last day! But I will keep you in my prayers.

God bless you and let us know how it turned out.

[quote name='Marieteresa' date='Mar 15 2006, 12:53 PM']Hey missy did you know that there is one Carmelite monastery in the US which has perpetual adoration?  I think its in the St. Louis area.......Athough PCPA's are beautiful as well
[right][snapback]912573[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Here's the link to the Discalced Carmelites in St. Louis: [url="http://www.stormpages.com/mtcarmel/"]Carmel Nuns of St. Louis[/url]

The webpage needs a little help, but you can see some nice pics on it and some basic info.

• 1 month later...
:lol: remember those pics I promised? Well I'm finally loading them. I wish I'd gotten them up before Sr. Denise left. :( oh well

Photobucket takes SO long though. It may be a while. But here's the first one: the outside of the Chapel of Cristo Rey

[img]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h136/zunshynn/My%20Visit%20to%20the%20Carmelites%20of%20Cristo%20Rey/152e9358.jpg[/img]

I can't wait for any more... so I'll do others tomorrow.

And me with St. Thérèse! Do you see a resemblance at all? Everyone kept telling me I look like her, but I don't see it...

[img]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h136/zunshynn/4-4-2006-18.jpg[/img]