An Old School Catholic Message Board

Losing/Rebelling Aganist Vocation

Berchmans525

Tough questions.

Since you posted this in Vocation Station I'll assume by vocation you mean religious vocation. A religious vocation is a gift from God so I don't think it can be lost. However it can be rejected.

On second thought, the same goes for all vocations, religious or not.

My question is, should one vocation be rejected will God offer up another? :idontknow:

I think that you can definitely reject your vocation. Losing your vocation and getting another is a tough one because God had planned your vocation from all eternity and therefore, the one you "lost" was probably not your real vocation.

Yes, you can reject your vocation. I'm not sure what you mean by losing it. Do you mean that our Lord gets tired of us dilly dallying around and finally says, that's it, I'm taking that invitation back?

No, I always say, He is a relentless pursuer and lover. And until we actually say 'no' (although some of us, especially those called to religious life, might say no, initially out of fear of the unknown and He will continue to call to see if we'll change our mind.) He will continue to call us.

If we definitively say 'no', well, yes, we can 'lose' it in that we reject it. Because we have free will, a vocation is always an invitation, not a demand. However, we are made with our vocation in mind, as 3n1 said, from all eternity. So, I believe, say, for example. . .if we are called to the religious life, giving our yes and entering that state, this is how we will best serve the Lord, this is how we will best live our lives. If we reject that, and decide to marry, again using the same example, it's not that our Lord is going to 'make' us be miserable in that vocation, because we've rejected the religious life, but I DO believe that, in the end, we would have been happier had we answered positively.

I hope that makes sense.

heyyoimjohnny

I think it can be rejected, but never lost. God won't ever stop calling, not until the person dies. And then that person would be in pretty big trouble. But every second we live is another chance to accept His will, so His calling wouldn't ever stop until we're done with this life.

My bit 'o comfort theyah. :)

P.S. of course, in the situation PCPA2Be described above, where someone was called to religious life and got married, thats a tough one, because marriage wouldn't be the vocation God called them to. People who shouldn't get married get married all the time (although I'm being very presumptuous when I say that, forgive me), and people who shouldn't get divorced get divorced all the time. Does that mean marriage was/is their calling...? And for people who've gotten married, had a bad marriage, got divorced, and found the right marriage? The first wouldn't have been their vocation, right? Man, this does raise a lot of questions!

But, I don't think God would adapt what He's calling us to to suit our wants. I think we have one vocation, and all the twists and turns and thoughts and words that come from Him are to lead us to that one vocation, whether it seems another one is or not.

[quote name='heyyoimjohnny' date='Mar 17 2006, 05:59 AM']  But, I don't think God would adapt what He's calling us to to suit our wants. I think we have one vocation, and all the twists and turns and thoughts and words that come from Him are to lead us to that one vocation, whether it seems another one is or not.
[right][snapback]913740[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Absolutely! God does not change. However, as humans we have this characteristic, this trait. . . perhaps a blessing, perhaps a curse, called free will. Sometimes I wish I didn't have a will at all! But to allow God only to use His will in me. But we DO have free will and in the end, He may invite, but we must answer, one way or the other.

Guest phatdaddy

Wow, very interesting topic.....It makes my head hurt. When someone figures it please post it.....I sure would like to know.

Maybe it's all a matter of degrees. What if we were given the highest calling, say like being a saint and given a path (vocation) to actualize this calling, and, human nature being what it is, say we don't live up to this highest calling and we respond say less perfectly. In this case it would seem that we followed a calling to a lesser degree than originally given. We might all fall into this category. Besides, we all love God in different degrees so maybe our response to God's call will be at different levels of goodness.

We have heard it said that a religious vocation is a higher calling than a married vocation (and I believe it's so) but they both are good and complimentary.

What if God were to offer each of His children both vocations and the child chooses which to follow. Rather than say we reject a religious vocation in favor of a married vocation maube they are both valid choices and an exercise of this tree will thing. Besides how in the dickens would you know??? uuummmmm ???? The best vocation for each of us is the one that helps us to be holy and leads us to God. And because this is a hindsight sorta thing, it seems that in eternity we will finally find out what we were offered and how we responded....ou kinda frightening idnit.

Now I've got a headache.....thanks guys. :boink:

brandelynmarie

Okay, here's my nickel's worth....I believe I have heard that God does have a vocation in mind for each of us...one that will work best with the gifts He has given us & would be for His greatest Glory & bring forth His Kingdom...As we have free will & sometimes make mistakes...if we choose another vocation (religious life instead of married life, for example) if God allows it, He will still use it for His greater glory & He will give graces to the person to follow it...All things happpen for the good of those who love God...even from our sins & mistakes good can be brought out of it...He can use it.

(I hope I'm making some sense here!)

In my own experience, I am sometimes afraid that I am missing the boat (so to speak) with my own vocation...I have felt called to religious life for a long time, but I was too immature when I was younger & then I fell into the New Age for about 7 years...I renewed my Baptismal Vows in 2002 & am just now starting to visit communities where the age limit is 35! (I am 34 years-old). So...I am praying (& so are many others!) to overcome any & all obstacles with God's grace...Sometimes I am fearful, but mostly I am at peace...Pace e bene, Brandelyn

• 3 years later...
laetitia crucis
:bump:

I just wanted to bump this up (as it's pretty old) to see if there's any new perspectives on this very interesting topic. :D

Hmmm... :think: ... and I suppose I am curious, from the original question to ask instead, "Is it possible to lose your vocation [b]without[/b] rebelling against it?"

For instance... if someone is "stuck in perpetual discernment"? Or if you know without a doubt God has called you to a specific vocation and you just can't find the right community (religious vocation) or the right spouse (married vocation)?

lc

Our call is to holiness and Unity with God.......through a particular vocation and state in life and if one should abandon this, God does not withdraw the primary call to holiness and Unity and the Graces to achieve it. Vocation is an invitation and not a Divine Command. Would one be happier and more fulfilled in the vocation to which one had been called - a possibility, and it may be through the sufferings of having abandoned the call - and struggling to be happy and fulfilled - that one will be drawn to holiness and Unity and therefore ultimate happiness and fulfillment. If one feels one has abandoned their vocation with no hope of return, it is useless to lament and continually look back - and the call would be to abandon oneself with trust and confidence to Divine Providence and The Mercy of The Lord which is endless, infinite and all embracing .........Barb

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' date='03 November 2009 - 06:35 PM' timestamp='1257287723' post='1995841']
Our call is to holiness and Unity with God.......through a particular vocation and state in life and if one should abandon this, God does not withdraw the primary call to holiness and Unity and the Graces to achieve it. Vocation is an invitation and not a Divine Command. Would one be happier and more fulfilled in the vocation to which one had been called - a possibility, and it may be through the sufferings of having abandoned the call - and struggling to be happy and fulfilled - that one will be drawn to holiness and Unity and therefore ultimate happiness and fulfillment. If one feels one has abandoned their vocation with no hope of return, it is useless to lament and continually look back - and the call would be to abandon oneself with trust and confidence to Divine Providence and The Mercy of The Lord which is endless, infinite and all embracing .........Barb
[/quote]

Very well said. Thank you.

Osap

I would like to put in a word about this. There is something I have learned...

I think the most important thing to keep in mind when asking these questions is the fact that God values our free will more than we can imagine. I repeat, God values our free will. Now with that said, we have to understand that God makes offers, but does not force anything on us, because of how much He values our free will. It will not be the end of His world OR ours if we make the "wrong" choice. One priest clarified this SO WELL for me a couple of years ago: You do not offend God when you choose one good over another good. He may have offered a different good to you, as a gift, but regardless of the circumstances of your not choosing it, the three states in life are each good in their own way. I think it is so easy for us to be overcome in all the worry and indecision about discernment-- and this may sound cliche-- but it is a cliche that I learned was true after a rocky road of discernment: that we have to keep God's infinite love in mind in all that we do and discern and decide. I think being worried sick about whether we are making the "wrong" decision is far from what He wants our discernment to result in. Take it seriously, and try out religious life if you think He is offering you that gift, but avoid being heavy-hearted and fearful of God's disapproval when it comes to discernment.

I know this sounds contrary to much of what is said on this board, but I believe very sincerely that it is the truth. Discernment is not be a process of worry that culminates ultimate relief when we finally get a "lightning bolt", but rather, it is a process of daily steps towards God.

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='03 November 2009 - 07:32 PM' timestamp='1257291124' post='1995864']
I would like to put in a word about this. There is something I have learned...

I think the most important thing to keep in mind when asking these questions is the fact that God values our free will more than we can imagine. I repeat, God values our free will. Now with that said, we have to understand that God makes offers, but does not force anything on us, because of how much He values our free will. It will not be the end of His world OR ours if we make the "wrong" choice. One priest clarified this SO WELL for me a couple of years ago: You do not offend God when you choose one good over another good. He may have offered a different good to you, as a gift, but regardless of the circumstances of your not choosing it, the three states in life are each good in their own way. I think it is so easy for us to be overcome in all the worry and indecision about discernment-- and this may sound cliche-- but it is a cliche that I learned was true after a rocky road of discernment: that we have to keep God's infinite love in mind in all that we do and discern and decide. I think being worried sick about whether we are making the "wrong" decision is far from what He wants our discernment to result in. Take it seriously, and try out religious life if you think He is offering you that gift, but avoid being heavy-hearted and fearful of God's disapproval when it comes to discernment.

I know this sounds contrary to much of what is said on this board, but I believe very sincerely that it is the truth. Discernment is not be a process of worry that culminates ultimate relief when we finally get a "lightning bolt", but rather, it is a process of daily steps towards God.
[/quote]
Also very well said.....boy you folks are saving me a whole ton of typing. I keep thinking - "oh, I"ll go respond that that thread" then I come back and find someone's already "said it".

Pax,
Osap

Sister Rose Therese

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='03 November 2009 - 01:58 PM' timestamp='1257271094' post='1995718']
[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/bump.gif[/img]

I just wanted to bump this up (as it's pretty old) to see if there's any new perspectives on this very interesting topic. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_grin.gif[/img]

Hmmm... [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/think_chin.gif[/img] ... and I suppose I am curious, from the original question to ask instead, "Is it possible to lose your vocation [b]without[/b] rebelling against it?"

For instance... if someone is "stuck in perpetual discernment"? Or if you know without a doubt God has called you to a specific vocation and you just can't find the right community (religious vocation) or the right spouse (married vocation)?

lc
[/quote]

Very well said Barbara Therese and Totus Tuus.
As for your question, Laetitia Crucis, I don't think God would let a person who was honestly seeking His will, not to find it. But there is a way that we can rebel without out directly "rebelling". By that I meanby neglect or ommission. Sometimes we choose to postpone something so long, hoping that it will eventually go away. Or we refuse to trust God enough to act; waiting until the circumstances are perfect, or until we are absolutely sure. Or sometimes we knowingly make choices that put obstacles in the way of following the call. You know, we do these things with the little callings in daily life, and sometimes we miss the opportunity. We usually have plenty of time to respond to our vocation in life, but it is possible to miss the opportunity.

When these questions come up, the story that usually comes to my mind is the story of the rich young man. Jesus called him to follow Him. He turned away from that call and went away sad. Imagine what his life would have been like if he had accepted the call. We might have had him on our list of canonized saints. Or, what if he took the chance to think about it later, and had turned back to the Lord. Do you not think the Lord would have accepted him? What was his life like? I don't know. He seemed like a good man, but I bet his choice left him wondering if he had done the right thing.