An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vita Consecrata

puellapaschalis

What's the status of VC on your bookshelf?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

puellapaschalis
:book: :book: :book:

Because it's late at night (here, at least) and I can't sleep and I know you chaps are all still awake.

For those who are reading or have read, add your comments! What's your favourite bit? What didn't you understand? Which bits really struck you? Has it helped your discernment? How? If not, how so? :wacko:

Right, I'm going to try the sleeping thing again :goodnight:

Love and sleepy prayers,

PP Edited by puellapaschalis

Currently reading it. . .will let you know when I'm done. . .will ALL 86 pages! LOL

It's on my ipod so I can have portability when I am away from home!

You can use the ipod to store text notes as well as songs. It's got a lot of functions that many don't use.

I first read it in novitiate, and I reread it ever 6 months or so.

my favorite line is from paragraph 81:

"The new evangelization, like that of all times, will be effective if it proclaims from the rooftops what it has first lived in intimacy with the Lord. It calls for strong personalities, inspired by saintly fervour."

I find it helpful, especially for those of us with uhhmmmm "strong personalities."

Thanks Friar Matt, for your input. Sometimes I wish I was meek like Mary. . .that really edifies me.

I saw some Dominicans yesterday who reminded me (again!!!) that I really need to read it the whole way through now. I've only read pieces thus far.

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Mar 28 2006, 10:38 PM']Uh, why would OPs remind you that you had to read VC?  :unsure:
[right][snapback]926308[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Oh b/c two of the Nashville sisters stopped in St. Louis on their way to Kansas for a vocations fair. And they spoke about living the consecrated life and (obviously) used quotes from Vita Consecrata.... thus, I took it as the Lord reminding me to bump that to the "priority" section of my "To Read" list. :book:

I'm just wired, and wanted to post. Nothing really. Not like I'm pulling a Lil Red. . .. LOL :crazy: :spam:

Hey, I was wondering . . .we should post a prayer thread for those discerning.

puellapaschalis

I'm about halfway through and whilst there have been lots of bits that have struck me, this was one that I could easily find again on a flickback. It's the second part of para 43:
[quote]In an atmosphere strongly affected by individualism, it is not an easy thing to foster recognition and acceptance of the role which authority plays for the benefit of all. Nevertheless, its importance must be reaffirmed as essential for strenghtening fraternal communion and in order not to render vain the obedience professed. While authority must be above all fraternal and spiritual, and while those entrusted with it must know how to involve their brothers and sisters in the decision-making process, it should still be remembered that [i]the final word belongs to authority[/i] and, consequently, that authority has the right to see that decisions taken are respected.[/quote]
Flippant comment: ah, so that's why vocations have plummeted in the Netherlands - the Dutch are on the whole just far too [i]eigenwijzig[/i] (stubborn) to submit in love to any kind of authority. They'll bicker about anything and everything :annoyed:

Not So Flippant comment: this passage really sums up much of what I feel about attitudes to authority, especially Church authority. People seem to have such a weird idea about obedience - whether it be to the Magesterium, or one's priest or bishop, or even the obedience (for children) to one's parents. Even some Catholics! Indeed, if obedience and authority were what many people seem to think they are, then life would be quite intolerable. But it's clearly not - the Catholics I know who obey [i]out of love[/i] aren't miserable at all, nor are they desperately scouting around for a fuzzy faith community that will make them feel good about themselves.

Of course VC is about the consecrated life. However, the first chunk is all about how consecrated persons provide a powerful example for the rest of the faithful to follow, and a sign of what life in Heaven will be like. So I don't think it would do people any harm whatsoever to take this little passage and reflect on it in their own lives, regardless of where that might be.

Love and prayers,

PP