An Old School Catholic Message Board

Calling the Carmelites

be_thou_my_vision

be_thou_my_vision

Thanks Gemma, I will look into it and talk to my travel-mate!

passionheart

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' post='966198' date='Apr 30 2006, 06:51 PM']
I am going to visit [url="http://www.ssfpa.org"]the Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration[/url], who are in Mishawaka.
[/quote]

I met some of the novices from this community at the IRL meeting one year. When I was at the meeting I was a member of the Brothers and Sisters of Penance a lay group. Since these sisters are Franciscan they knew about the 1221 rule I was following. They asked me about a vocation to the religious life and I told them I gave up on that idea a long time ago.
One of the novices told me "Never give up". I should keep trying. I was touched by what she said and how she said it. All them were encouraging me to keep trying.

Well, here I am preparing to entering to the Dominican Nuns in Buffalo. I wrote to the vocation director Sr. Lois and told her how her novices helped me with my vocation walk. At that time a couple of the sisters were preparing to take temp. vows I sent a book on St. Clare written by a former BSP sister as a gift of thanksgiving. I was able to meet with Sr. Lois in person at IRL meeting the following year.

So everytime I see this community I smile. :D:

Edited by passionheart

be_thou_my_vision

I am so glad that they were able to help you. That's a wonderful story! And I love Sister Lois! She's so funny!

brandelynmarie

How beautiful that they encouraged you, DonnaMarie! We will accept encouragement as it comes(especially from other religious!)...no, we must never give up!

Edited by brandelynmarie

be_thou_my_vision

Soooo I'm back! Everything was wonderful. Sister Joseph Andrew is helping me out a lot later in the summer. She is allowing me, by special permission, to attend the pre-postulancy week. Pray for me, that the Lord will guide me.
Mary, Queen of Apostles, Pray for us!
Mishawaka sisters are good. :) We stopped by and said hi!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Sorry, just a little off subject, but not by much...
The Carmelites in Des Plaines, IL were founded from the Terre Haute Carmel. I just thought that was kinda neat considering I visted the Des Plaines Carmel. :)

Anyway, back to the subject at hand!

brandelynmarie
:clap: :yahoo:

:hijack:

Are the Des Plaines Carmelites still very similar in customs to Terra Haute? :D: Edited by brandelynmarie

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='brandelynmarie' post='975425' date='May 8 2006, 01:28 PM']
:hijack:

Are the Des Plaines Carmelites still very similar in customs to Terra Haute? :D:
[/quote]
To be honest, I have no clue. I was only there for about an hour and I'm not familiar with Carmel well enough to know of anything to tell you.

Domine ut Videam

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='975337' date='May 8 2006, 11:58 AM']
Sorry, just a little off subject, but not by much...
The Carmelites in Des Plaines, IL were founded from the Terre Haute Carmel. I just thought that was kinda neat considering I visted the Des Plaines Carmel. :)

Anyway, back to the subject at hand!
[/quote]

:hijack: What :lol_roll: There is a Carmel in Des Plaines, Illinois???!!!!!! WHAT!!!! NO WAY!!! Tell me more!!!!!! :D: :D: :D:

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Domine ut Videam' post='975470' date='May 8 2006, 02:57 PM']
:hijack: What :lol_roll: There is a Carmel in Des Plaines, Illinois???!!!!!! WHAT!!!! NO WAY!!! Tell me more!!!!!! :D: :D: :D:
[/quote]
Well, I didn't know they were there myself until this past Fall I think. They are in the Chicago Archdiocese. I do have some of their info and other such things that they gave me when I visited. Let me dig it out quick and give you a few facts...

Here is what one of the pamplets says about the Carmel:
[quote]Our Carmel was established in the Archdiocese of Chicago in 1959 by MOther Agnes of Jesus together with six Sisters from the Carmel of Terre Haute, Indiana, at the request of Samuel Cardinal Stritch. The Cardinal wanted to have a Carmel in Chicago where souls live a cloistered life of fervent prayer and loving sacrifice for the priests and faithful of the Archdiocese in all their needs.

The permanent monastery, which was built in Des Plaines, was finally completed in 1986.

Each Carmel has its own unique spirit that is most often born of the Mother Foundress together with the contributions and responses of the other Sisters. It is a characteristiic drawn from the heritage of Our Holy Mother, St. Teresa and lived through the centuries by the Saints of Carmel.[/quote]
There is some more on the Founding Mothers, Mother Agnes of Jesus and Mother Catherine of the Mother of God, if you would like that as well...

And finishing it off with this:
[quote]We cherish the memory of our Mothers who guided and nutured the life of this Carmel in the Archdiocese of Chicago. When Cardinal Stritch invited the Sisters to come to Chicago, he said: "We don't need you to make vestments or rosaries or altar breads. We need you to pray. Pray for the Archbishop, the priests, and this Archdiocese. Pray that we will be what we ought to be." Our Mothers fulfilled that vital mission and it is the great desire of their daughters to keep the flame of fidelity to this mission ever new, ever burning in our Carmel of St. Joseph, Des Plaines.[/quote]
There is a lot of beautiful and wonderful information about the Carmel and the Carmelite Order as well. Maybe I'll make a simple webpage or something about these Sisters. :)

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

No problem, I'm actually looking for a good place to have a website about them hosted at... Then everyone can learn about these Sisters :)

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='975668' date='May 8 2006, 07:17 PM']
No problem, I'm actually looking for a good place to have a website about them hosted at... Then everyone can learn about these Sisters :)
[/quote]
Bro Adam rocks... check out the future site about the Des Plaines Carmel:
[url="http://www.flyfreecatholicforums.com/desplainescarmel/"]http://www.flyfreecatholicforums.com/desplainescarmel/[/url]

Domine ut Videam

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='976187' date='May 9 2006, 11:31 AM']
Bro Adam rocks... check out the future site about the Des Plaines Carmel:
[url="http://www.flyfreecatholicforums.com/desplainescarmel/"]http://www.flyfreecatholicforums.com/desplainescarmel/[/url]
[/quote]

Sweet! I'll be looking forward to reading more about them! :)