An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Benedictines Strike Back

puellapaschalis

julielizabet

In response to an earlier post on this thread...
Just FYI, the St. Benedict Center Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (both sisters and brothers live there and they're not Benedictines), if that's who you're referring to, are absolutely not outside the Church, although they do advocate EENS and are "Feeneyites," as they are commonly called. I've visited there, receive their publilcations, and consulted our parish priest about them. The Slaves of the IHM have even visited our church for our home school curricula fair. I attend a traditional Catholic church in South Jersey that has Latin mass ONLY and we are part of the diocese. We would not have ANYONE at our Church who was in schism, rest assured. St. Benedict Ctr is not SSPX-affiliated, they are in full communion. Now as far as the Benedictines on the corner next door, I cannot speak about them because I know nothing about them. Just wanted to clarify in case there was any confusion.
God bless,
Julie

julielizabet

Update:
I did a little research on the whole issue, for anyone interested in the monastics, etc. at Still River. The Benedictines do not appear to be schismatic. I consulted their website. They quote Fr. Feeney. There is more than one picture on their site with what appears to be the head of their monastery with the current pope and Pope JP2 also. Moreover, they have mass in English (seems to be daily) and in Latin. NO SSPX would EVER have mass in English! Here is a link to their horarium: [url="http://www.abbey.org/horarium.html"]http://www.abbey.org/horarium.html[/url]
On the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, next door in Still River, MA and Fr. Feeney... Here is a section of their lengthy bio/controversy surrounding Fr. Feeney in the middle of the last century.

QUOTE In 1972 all the apparent censures were lifted from Father Feeney, without his having to retract any of his teachings. Had he been, as some say, “condemned for his doctrine” he would have been required to repudiate his error. The reason for this is clearly stated by Pope Innocent I who taught that “Communion once broken off cannot be renewed until the persons concerned give proof that the reasons for which communion was broken off are no longer operative.”

On January 30, 1978, Father Feeney died, a Catholic and a priest in good standing, united to the Church from which, he rightfully claimed, he never had been separated.

X

Father Feeney’s legacy lives on. In the turbulent years following Vatican II, The Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary retained their steadfast adherence to the traditions of the faith, in particular the Tridentine Latin Mass and the dogma “no salvation outside the Church.” Under Mary’s protection, the congregation was preserved from the devastation that has plagued the post-conciliar era.

The last 25 years have been highlighted by constant growth and development at Saint Benedict Center END QUOTE

Here is a link to the article, if you are interested in learning more. It seems highly accurate as I've read elsewhere on this subject. [url="http://www.saintbenedict.com/Articles/get_articles.php?item=1"]http://www.saintbenedict.com/Articles/get_...cles.php?item=1[/url]

So far as I know, believing in extra ecclesium nulla salus is perfectly acceptable and the weight of Church teaching is on the side of this teaching. I myself am not apologizing for this position as I am unclear on it. However I do know those who propound this view and they are not lacking in Church teaching on this subject that affirms their view. I only write this as I think we have to be very careful when we accuse a group of being not in communion with the Church or schismatic, and make sure we have all the facts.

SORRY FOR THE INTERRUPTION OF THE THREAD!!! Please do continue....

God bless you all,
Julie

memory-singer

Hi Friends,

Today is July 24 and I'm 20 days away from St. Emma's. I live in a city where 77 F is normal in the summer and it's 95 today. Informal attire is totally acceptable at work. It was good to get back to work today. It's amazing how much one gets attached to a group of people. How I will miss them.
It's a rare gift to work with such competent and talented people. I've got to go to bed.. ANd now from St. Benedict...

Obedience is of such value that it should be shown not only to the superior but all members of the community should be obedient to each other in the sure knowledge that this way of obedience is the one that will take them straight to God.
Chapter 71 Rule of St. Benedict.

I'll try to do better tomorrow.

love and Prayers,

Dare

memory-singer

July 25 and we are practically in August :D: . 19 days until i take off for St. Emma's.

Today,at work, we are very concerned about the destruction in Haifa. Ours is an international company and many of us have friends and colleagues there. I know all phatmassers are praying for peace in the middle east. It's really hard for me to understand the level of hate, fear and revenge one hears expressed when dealing with people from those countries. Often we have to send two different teams in to do business because of issues of mis-trust and prejudice.
Earlier, when I was praying about this ,I remembered that our Holy Father took the name of Benedict to honor another Pope Benedict known as a man of peace, as well as ST. Benedict who kept light alive in Europe during the dark ages. May both Benedicts intercede for those war-torn lands.

Here's the Rule:

The eleventh degree of humility is concerned with the manner of speech appropriate in a monastery. We should speak gently and seriously with words that are weighty and restrained. We should be brief and reasonable in whatever we have to say and not raise our voices to insist on our own opinions.
Chapter 7, Rule of St. Benedict

And a prayer for peace that I love (from some old liturgy book whose name I don't know)

Child of Bethlehem, House of Bread,
Man of Jerusalem, City of Peace,
Be with us always thatt we may become bread and peace for each other.

Amen

Dare

memory-singer

Hi friends,

Today is July 26 which means 18 days until St. Emma's. This doing a countdown thread is very demanding. It means that i have to take time each day to reflect on what's happening and then relate it to something that touches on it/me in the RB. It's been a blessing-- an awkward blessing at times (ah sloth).

My colleagues and I are under a bit of pressure these days. There have been several vehement discussions, some rather ugly as intensity of opinion meets fear of doing nothing (or the wrong thing.) I see in myself how the desire to help mutates into the "need to be right." In today's excerpt from the Rule, I find much for my own personal reflection.

It is easy to recognize the bitter spirit of wickedness which creates a barrier to God's grace and opens the way to the evil of hell. But equally there is a good spirit which frees us from evil ways and brings us closer to God and eternal life. It is this latter spirit that all who follow the monastic wayof life should strive to cultivate, spurred on by fervent love....They should value nothing whatever above Christ himself and may he bring us all together to eternal life.
Chapter 72, Rule of St. Benedict

Pax,

Dare

memory-singer

Hello Again.

Today is July 27--17 days to go. As the days get closer I'm beginning to feel a curious harmony. Can't explain it better than that. I also reviewed my company's policy on Leaves of Absence and provisionally scheduled an appontment with my boss in late August (after his vacation.)
The only way I will have the time necessary to seriously discern with a community (especially with the geographical distance) is to take a leave. I'm actually eligible for a year's "education leave" but will have to give 90 days notice to have it approved. I downloaded the application forms today.

The Young Adults Group at my parish will be fasting and having adoration on Saturday to pray for peace in the middle east. It's our response to our Holy Father's request for prayers. Please pray with us. And now from the Rule:

YOUR HOPE OF FULFILLMENT SHOULD BE CENTERED IN GOD ALONE.

Chapter 4, Rule of St. Benedict

Love and peace,

dare

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Mercy's Child' post='1032117' date='Jul 27 2006, 10:03 PM']

YOUR HOPE OF FULFILLMENT SHOULD BE CENTERED IN GOD ALONE.

Chapter 4, Rule of St. Benedict
Love and peace,

dare
[/quote]

:yes:

Love and prayers,

PP

memory-singer

July 28, 2006

16 DAYS TO GO---THANK GOD

Yesterday I received a very sad letter from my mom, asking once again, if I really have to do this.
I can't tell you (and probably don't have to) how much it hurts to know I'm causing her such pain and distress. My hope is that when I'm a bit further along in the application process, to spend a few days shopping and doing shows with her in NYC and then drive over (a state or two) for a visit to the sisters. That should ease the worst of her fears (if not her unwillingness to believe her daughter could actually want to do this.)

Today the following excerpt from the Rule gives me comfort.

When the time comes for one of the divine offices to begin, as soon as the signal is heard, everyone must set aside whatever they may have at hand and hurry as fast as possible to the oratory.....[b]The essential point is that nothing should be accounted more important than the work of GOD [/b]
Chapter 43, Rule of St. Benedict

Pax,

Dare

You sound like a very caring daughter. I hope your mother will be open to visiting St. Emma's with you; many times, the fear of the unknown is far worse than reality, isn't it? From what I have read on phatmass about St. Emma's, it seems to be a family-friendly monastery. St. Emma's has a great relationship with the outside community, due in no small part to Mother Mary Anne. She would do her best to make your mom more at ease, I'm sure. Hang in there, dear.

VeniteAdoremus

Is there a thread to pray for parents of discerners and people in the religious life? If there isn't, there should be.

I'm not discerning (more like slightly considering to do it after I finish my degree, and in the meantime being dragged around by the hair by PP), but my mother is already 'stressed out'. It doesn't really help that she's had traumatic experiences with nuns during her boarding school period, AND that my only other sibling has just decided that any continuance of the family line will have to through me.

Of the seminarians I know, about half has had trouble with their parents beyond the "are you really sure"-level! It's comforting that in the end they all got love and support from them, though.

memory-singer

July 29, 2006

15 DAYS TO GO. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Long talk with Mother Mary Anne last night. I wonder if I'll ever have that much sense and wisdom.

and now: THE RULE

Whoever you may be, then in your eagerness to reach your Father's home in heaven, be faithful with Christ's help to this small Rule which is only a beginning. Starting from there you may in the end aim at the greater heights of monastic teaching and virtue...and with God's help you will then be able to reach those heights yourself. AMEN

Chapter 73, Rule of St. Benedict

Pax,
Dare

P.S. Mother told me she would be meeting me at the airport. (Plane due around 11:00 p.m. if on time)
:lol_sign:

Now that's Benedictine Hospitality!!!

Love and prayers,
Dare

puellapaschalis

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1033549' date='Jul 29 2006, 01:51 PM']
Is there a thread to pray for parents of discerners and people in the religious life? If there isn't, there should be.

I'm not discerning (more like slightly considering to do it after I finish my degree, and in the meantime being dragged around by the hair by PP), but my mother is already 'stressed out'. It doesn't really help that she's had traumatic experiences with nuns during her boarding school period, AND that my only other sibling has just decided that any continuance of the family line will have to through me.

Of the seminarians I know, about half has had trouble with their parents beyond the "are you really sure"-level! It's comforting that in the end they all got love and support from them, though.
[/quote]

Let's pray for each other's parents.

Consider that if she's stressing about it now, then perhaps by the time you're actually able to do something concrete, she'll be a little more used to the idea. Her unfortunate experiences with religious in the past are just that - hers. God has His plans for you, and if that plan means you becoming a nun, then it will be a wonderful opportunity for your mother's wounds to heal. If it doesn't then she can meet me and her sores can perhaps heal that way instead ;)

Nothing in impossible to God, especially when it comes to being able to follow His will.

Love and prayers and knuffels and and and and,

PP

PS You know full well that I only drag you to places that you secretly really do want to go to!