An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Benedictines Strike Back

puellapaschalis

puellapaschalis

Three days or something, but that's not what this is about.

A few weeks ago a friend and I began a weekly prayer group, praying the Scriptural Rosary followed by either some prayers to the Holy Spirit, the Litany of Loreto, or (as we're now in Eastertide) the Regina Caeli. We alternate leading the decades and dedicate each one to a particular intention. Each time we've dedicated (at least!) one decade to vocations to the priesthood and religious life (we're both discerning so it's close to home).

Today I got a letter from my Oblate Master in England. He passed on the news that recently the Nov Master there has received many enquiries from men discerning monastic life, one of which seems quite likely to begin his postulancy soon.

God is good! Let us praise Him unceasingly!

Love and (lots and lots of) prayers,

PP

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='958539' date='Apr 23 2006, 08:33 PM']
Hey Resey,

how cool! I'd only heard about St. Peter's before in the way of OSBs in Canada. Ontario and Qubec definitely need some good, solid Benedictine presence. Maybe there will be some new foundations there soon :sign:

There's nowt wrong with an OSB-crazy family! Benedict's Rule is also lived by many families throughout the world; it's an excellent guide to Christian living. Not to mention all the many professionals out there who also live the Rule as far as they can, so I'm sure Benedict will guide and bless [b]you[/b] too :saint:

Love and prayers,

PP
[/quote]

Yep its pretty cool :D. Until my siblings say "Therese got excommunicated" when I get in trouble or "I cant talk to an excommunicated person or ill get excommunicated"...hehehe its fun though. They always threaten to use the whole st benedict rule in our house. And im like "Eeeek!". :D

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Resey' post='959372' date='Apr 24 2006, 11:27 PM']
Yep its pretty cool :D. Until my siblings say "Therese got excommunicated" when I get in trouble or "I cant talk to an excommunicated person or ill get excommunicated"...hehehe its fun though. They always threaten to use the whole st benedict rule in our house. And im like "Eeeek!". :D
[/quote]

Oh my! :rolling:

Please tell me you also prostrate yourselves at each others' feet and wait for your superior to say "It is enough!" after which you're not excomunicated anymore! :lol_roll:

Love and prayers,

PP

puellapaschalis

[quote name='OLAM Dad' post='959361' date='Apr 24 2006, 11:17 PM']
:cool:

3 days!!! :scream:
[/quote]

Michael, I have no idea how I missed this post :sweat: mea culpa!

Yes, three and a little days. I had a meeting with my parish priest today. Unfortunately it perhaps wasn't as constructive as it could have been - I was in a bit of pain and couldn't concentrate properly. But he did give me useful advice (as always) and I sent him a semi-apologetic email afterwards explaining things.

I've just been out with a friend; we had dinner and then headed to an Irish pub nearby. I've re-discovered that I love Irish music. What are the chances that a monastery will let me bring my violin with me? :saint: :idontknow: :D:

Right, I'm going to (very belatedly) start some serious preparation for my visit. Otherwise I'm not going to be using my time there properly. Please pray for me, everyone, that I can open my heart to properly discern God's will regarding myself and this place!

Love and prayers,

PP

VeniteAdoremus

Double-posted due to slowness of uni computers... how does one delete such things? :)

Edited by VeniteAdoremus

VeniteAdoremus

Have a good time, PP :)

I'm leaving for Pisa, Assisi (WOOOOOOOOT) and selected other ice-cream and espresso-containing places tomorrow at 5 am (WHYYYY?). So wish me a good choir tour please :rolleyes:

Oh, and what do you want me to bring you from Assissi (WOOOOOOOOOT), a crucifix, yet another rosary, or something else? :D:

puellapaschalis

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='961349' date='Apr 26 2006, 12:51 PM']
Have a good time, PP :)

I'm leaving for Pisa, Assisi (WOOOOOOOOT) and selected other ice-cream and espresso-containing places tomorrow at 5 am (WHYYYY?). So wish me a good choir tour please :rolleyes:

Oh, and what do you want me to bring you from Assissi (WOOOOOOOOOT), a crucifix, yet another rosary, or something else? :D:
[/quote]

Have a safe journey VA! And sing well for me :saint:

A rosary or prayer card would be lovely. Thank you for offering :love:

PP

puellapaschalis

Right then :sign: Just a few hours left to finish packing and get some sleep and then I'm off.

Please keep me in your prayers over the next few days. An old back problem that I've been lax in trying to fix has returned with a vengance over the last few days, culminating in visits to the physio, doctor and now I'm kind of drugged up a lot of the time. Valium is a bizarre thing. I'm worried that the pain will prevent me from really concentrating - but then I am a famous over-worrier as it is. So I'm praying that I can just keep my head clear and myself on an even keel.

My train travels through Cologne. Anyone who was at WYD last August will know how you can see the Dom from the train station. I'll be gazing at it and remembering all my experiences there last Summer, and praying for everyone here on VS.

God protect us as we travel
by air or land or sea
keep us safe and guide us
wherever we may be

Love and prayers,

PP

PS Fellow Bennies, feel free to take up this thread and run with it! Keep up the Office :sign: and Lectio :book: and all that. I'll share what I can when I get back. Doei!

Edited by puellapaschalis

puellapaschalis

Well I'm back! I think VA is in Italy for another few days though.

Thanks for all your prayers. I've come back with so much to think about; until things are a bit more coherent in my heart I'm withdrawing for a while. Keep the faith, Sisters :sign:

Love and prayers,

PP

puellapaschalis

Thank you :blush: It was a good visit; I simply feel a bit overwhelmed by grace and joy right now. It's all a bit raw and I'm worried that if I talk about it too much I won't be working with it in the right way. Obsculta is the first word of the Rule, after all :)

Love and prayers,

PP

Puella, prayers for you that your heart may be settled in light of the beauty and grace that came from your experience with the sisters. :)