An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Benedictines Strike Back

puellapaschalis

puellapaschalis

St. Scholastica is the saint of Benedictine women; SS Maurus and Placidus were monks under Benedict himself.

Many of the "medieval" saintly religious (apologies for the historical inaccuracy; I mean before the foundation of the two main mendicant orders) would have been Benedictine as that was the default monastic setting over a huge chunk of Europe.

My Benedictine patrons are:
St. Benedict
St. Scholastica
St. Boniface (Englishman who brought the Gospel to much of present day Germany and the Netherlands; martyred by the Frisians at Dokkum, in my current diocese)
St. Lioba (cousin of Boniface; a nun in England before being sent to establish monasteries on the continent at Boniface's request)
St. Walburga (like Lioba, but a different person!)
St. Hildegard of Bingen (German Abbess, mystic, author, preacher and general all-round kick-ass lady).

Hope this helps a little, at least with Google-fodder!

Love and prayers,

PP

memory-singer

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1020596' date='Jul 9 2006, 01:36 PM']
I was wondering if you Benedictine fans could help me out...

The other day I was trying to think of Benedictine saints, and I couldn't think of any (I mean besides St. Benedict). Could you help me? lol I cant believe my ignorance!
[/quote]

Let's not forget St. Emma :D: . You can read about her at www.stemma.org.

Pax,

Dare

Also i like St. teresa benedicta of the Cross (Edith Stein) ,who was a Carmelite, as an honorary Benedictine.

Try [url="http://www.osb.org/gen/saints/"]this site[/url] for a comprehensive list of Benedictine saints--link onto the Benedictine Martyrology--it's amazing.....

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Mercy's Child' post='1020644' date='Jul 10 2006, 12:05 AM']
Also i like St. teresa benedicta of the Cross (Edith Stein) ,who was a Carmelite, as an honorary Benedictine.
[/quote]

Edith Stein SO rocks. We have her in the "saints of every age"-gallery thing in our Cathedral (she represents the 20th century together with Titus Brandsma). It's a comforting thought that, secular and troubled though my country might be, we have loads of people up in the skies to help us pick up the pieces! :)

VA~~

puellapaschalis

Off-topic warning:

Titus Brandsma was born in my diocese! :yahoo:

Does this mean we can count Benedict XVI as an honourary Benedictine too?

Love and prayers,

PP

memory-singer

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1020872' date='Jul 10 2006, 01:37 AM']
Off-topic warning:

Titus Brandsma was born in my diocese! :yahoo:

Does this mean we can count Benedict XVI as an honourary Benedictine too?

Love and prayers,

PP
[/quote]

ABsolutelY :banana:

Pax,

Dare

puellapaschalis

[quote name='stlmom' post='1020673' date='Jul 10 2006, 12:59 AM']
Try [url="http://www.osb.org/gen/saints/"]this site[/url] for a comprehensive list of Benedictine saints--link onto the Benedictine Martyrology--it's amazing.....
[/quote]

Oh boy that's a fantastic Martyrology. That together with my Oxford Dictionary of Saints will keep me going for a good while yet :book: :sign:

Love and prayers,

PP

puellapaschalis

Dear Benedictines on Phatmass:

[size=7] [color="#3366FF"][b]Happy Feast Day!!![/b][/color][/size]

(we're quite lucky, actually - today is the feast of Benedict in the universal church's calendar, but there are a bunch of days whereupon the Order celebrates our "Founder"; 21st March is another big one)

May our Holy Father Benedict (the one in heaven with the book and raven, not the one in Rome! ;) ) bless us especially today, and keep us faithful to the Regula in hastening towards our heavenly home.

Love and prayers,

PP

God bless ALL the Benedictine family today, the monks, nuns, sisters, brothers, oblates, those in formation as Benedictines, those who aspire to the order, and the friends and supporters of the Benedictines (all the PM phamily included!). :notworthy2: :love:

daugher-of-Mary

Please pray for the 3 new novices who received the habit and their new names at the Benedictine Archabbey yesterday!
Also for those who will be renewing simple vows, and making solemn vows today on the Feast of St. Benedict! :D:

puellapaschalis

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' post='1021579' date='Jul 11 2006, 02:03 PM']
Please pray for the 3 new novices who received the habit and their new names at the Benedictine Archabbey yesterday!
Also for those who will be renewing simple vows, and making solemn vows today on the Feast of St. Benedict! :D:
[/quote]

Assuredly! :yahoo: :sign:

Love and prayers,

PP

memory-singer

Dear SIsters and Brothers,

You are all in my heart today as i thank our God for the gift of St. Benedict (and all who turn to his wisdom.)

Love and prayers,

Pax,

Dare

puellapaschalis

It's random link time...

has anyone heard of [url="http://mountcaritasmonastery.org/index.htm"]Mount Caritas Monastery[/url]?

Love and prayers,

PP