An Old School Catholic Message Board

Work promotion (vocational) ;)

Laurentina1975

Laurentina1975

Okay, so I was offered a new job with the most excellent salary.

I told my current boss and he counter-offered, but was shy about $13,000 a year. However, he upped my comission so I would have potential to make what I would be making at the new gig. He also offered me 1 extra week of vacation a year (perfect for visiting a convent if the need arose), promoted me to Director of my department, changed my work week to Monday thru Friday 9-5, no more Saturdays (more time to praise the Lord) and changed my reporting status to reporting to him instead of my mean boss (which is why I wanted to look elsewhere to begin with).

He asked me to mull it over tonight and let him know if he could offer me more and he would consider it.

I like my job, but this new place offer much growth potential. But then again, if I entered the convent in a couple years why would that matter right? But then again who can predict the future.

Any ideas on if I should ask for more from my boss and what I should ask for? Not that I am being greedy, but my new gig can offer me WAY more than where I am at, however I value stability and when I make a commitment, I like to stick with it. Also, it will look good on my resume that I was promoted and have longevity.

Do any ideas, if not can you please pray that I find clarity. This is such a huge decision and I am confused kind of.

I'm still teetering on taking the new gig and starting over.

:idontknow:

Laurentina1975

BTW, this all went down this afternoon.
I need to let him know tomorrow, like that is enough time!
ARGHHHH

Both sound good. The longevity also sounds good. I would take it to Adoration and see what He says ;)

Laurentina1975

One day is not long enough to hear Him, unless a miracle occurs.

Edited by Laurentina1975

Laurentina1975

Actually with the extra week of vacay, I could go to Panhandle FOR SHO in May and I kow that would make you happy Denise!

Hmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn......perhaps I am getting some clarity here....wow.

My thought is that if you are seriously thinking of religious life in the next year or two, then maybe it's better to stay where you are unless you're really unhappy. I don't really know you, and you have to take it to prayer and decide based on where the Spirit is leading you.

My own experience is such: I have a really boring job, but it's a blessing. I'm not attached to it, so when it comes time for me to enter religious life, I will be able to drop it without any strings pulling me back. I make a lot less money than I could make with a Master's degree elsewhere (although there aren't really any jobs for people with MAs in French lit), but the flexible hours make up for the lack of pay and the lack of anything interesting because I can pretty much set my own hours over the course of a week.

If you quit your job and take the new one, you will probably have to wait for the vacation and sick days to kick in. If your boss is offering you the extra week, that's pretty neat. And also, if you do enter in the next few years, how much growth potential do you need in a job, and will that growth potential hold you back from ultimately making a decision regarding your vocation? Those are the questions to ask yourself.

Laurentina1975

[quote name='jgirl' date='Mar 30 2006, 09:12 PM']My thought is that if you are seriously thinking of religious life in the next year or two, then maybe it's better to stay where you are unless you're really unhappy. I don't really know you, and you have to take it to prayer and decide based on where the Spirit is leading you.

My own experience is such: I have a really boring job, but it's a blessing. I'm not attached to it, so when it comes time for me to enter religious life, I will be able to drop it without any strings pulling me back. I make a lot less money than I could make with a Master's degree elsewhere (although there aren't really any jobs for people with MAs in French lit), but the flexible hours make up for the lack of pay and the lack of anything interesting because I can pretty much set my own hours over the course of a week.

If you quit your job and take the new one, you will probably have to wait for the vacation and sick days to kick in. If your boss is offering you the extra week, that's pretty neat. And also, if you do enter in the next few years, how much growth potential do you need in a job, and will that growth potential hold you back from ultimately making a decision regarding your vocation? Those are the questions to ask yourself.
[right][snapback]928974[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well who knows what the future holds. The extra week of vacay is all good in and of itself and it isn't about the money.

I'll let ya'll know tomorrow.

I am not so sure about that, it is alot about the money. You are talking one thousand extra dollars a month. How much vacation time is the new place willing to give you? And how about the hours? Any Saturday requirments?
You are under no obligation to your present job, you have spend a while there. They obviously want to keep you, so you can take pride in a job well done. You do not like your boss, and that must be taken into account. You will still run into them.
I like the no saturday thing, and the extra week of vacation, but that extra money would come in handy no matter what the future holds.
If you like where you are working now, and there is a good feeling when you go to work, then that is important. But you need to grow in any job that you do, it matters little where you will be in a year or two, you need challenges each day on your job or it gets stale quick.
I would not take the future into consideration...worry about the now. If you LOVE your present job stay, if you are bored/feeling underwhelmed, it is time to move on.
Only my humble opinion!
Prayers heading your way.
Alicemary

Laurentina1975

I am asking if I can have till Monday to ponder this, because it's really too much to discern in one day.

:wacko: