An Old School Catholic Message Board

Your Advice is Needed

the_rev

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='the_rev' post='954278' date='Apr 19 2006, 05:22 PM']
Well as per usual, I find that Phatmassto be of no help.

I'd love him to write on my good and bad. But the thing is he is also going to write about how he feels that I should not enter college seminary, because he feels it doesn't provide propper formation for seminarians.

He is a priest that isn't happy with his priesthood, he supports women ordinations, doesn't wear the clerical collar, and holds many beliefs not in line with what the Magisterium teaches.

After a fifteen minute conversation with him, I have made a decision to swich parishes. He is a priest that is hindering my vocation. He doesn't listen to what I have to say, and honestly he told me today that he doesn't like me at all. How can I let my future as a seminarian be decided by a man like that. I can't, and I won't. Plain and simple.

Sincerely Yours in Christ,

Eddy Lee

And if JasJis is an ex-catholic, why should I be taking advice from him?
[/quote]
I'm also in agreement with jasJis. If your priest is willing to write the letter, let him.

If your priest is going to include a critique of the seminary in his letter, then what would be the result? The letter will probably land in the hands of the dean of the seminary. At the very worst, the dean would see your priest as criticizing/attacking the seminary, not you as a potential seminarian. By the way, have you contacted the seminary?

Though your priest deserves no credit for his heterodox beliefs, God has decided to throw you a cross to carry. And I am sure that God is working to strengthen your faith by this challenge.

On the other hand, I don't think that "going over his head" would be absolutely wrong. For example, St. Terese went directly to the pope to petition that she could enter the convent.

I'm shocked that your priest has said, "I don't like you." Going back to St. Terese (I saw the movie!), didn't she always treat those who didn't like her with the most sincere charity? What a great gift she had.

I'll reiterate what others have said: if God has written a desire for the sacramental priesthood on your heart, neither this priest's letter nor anything else will keep you from serving Him. Just keep being faithful to Our Lord.

Finally, know that being 16 is a wonderful time of life, because the world is open to you. And you've got your head on well enough to plan for your lifelong vocation. I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing I had my act together at that age.

If I want to be treated like some people on Phatmass treat me, I would just schedule a meeting with my former pastor. I am not needed here.

If anyone wants to keep in contact visit my blog. I went with out this website for forty days. This site has gone in a bad direction.

Peace to all, pray for me, you all definitly are in my prayers.

Sincerely Yours in Christ,

Eddy lee

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='frjeff' post='953715' date='Apr 19 2006, 08:09 AM']
-i think this is a topic of conversation for you and the vocations director. maybe your vocations director can speak to the pastor and hopefully convince him that he can have his opinion, but in reality it is the Bishop's decision that matters. and also hopefully encourage your pastor that he can have his opinion, but it is not fair to use your desire to enter college seminary as means to air it.
-if your vocations director knows this information he can address it in his letter to the seminary, so that it is seen in its proper light.
-ultimately though the seminary is going to weigh the Bishop's decision far more. the Bishop is the one sponsoring you and paying the bills.
-hang in there; this will only make you more Grace filled!
[/quote]
Very good advice.

None of you are here living in this parish that I call Hell. My pastor treats me like scum. Called me a loser, told me I have a no friends, (which is not true) and told me I have no vocation.

Get the facts, decide for yourself.

Sianara!

Eddie, what do you think you should do? You dislike the priest, and feel he's a hindrance: that much is clear. However, you're supposed to have a letter from your pastor, which he is. Furthermore, if he's against the seminary, they'll probably take that against him, not you. What do you expect, and what do you think would be the appropriate course of action?

Edited by Maria

In Scripture, Jesus said, "Get Behind me Satan"

He (the Pastor) also tried to destroy the vocation of another young man, luckily he was not his pastor. However, my mother and I have decided after further harrassment from this parish priest that we need to switch parishes.

anyways, I'm out, for the night at least, and for a while. I need away from the online world, but will still post on my blog. Anyways, I getting together for supper with my new pastor. He knows the entire situation and told me that I should get out of there right away.

[url="http://mariandevotion.blogspot.com"]http://mariandevotion.blogspot.com[/url] for the latest information on my journey.

Edited by the_rev

[quote name='the_rev' post='954278' date='Apr 19 2006, 02:22 PM']
After a fifteen minute conversation with him, I have made a decision to swich parishes. He is a priest that is hindering my vocation. He doesn't listen to what I have to say, and honestly he told me today that he doesn't like me at all. How can I let my future as a seminarian be decided by a man like that. I can't, and I won't. Plain and simple.[/quote]
Eddy -

I will be praying for you. Your decision to become a seminarian is too important for you (and us!) to be hindered by one priest. I agree with your decision to switch parishes. Also, know that God is guiding you through this process.

I hope this helps. Hang in there! We need you!

I hope you don't take this wrongly, but the following scripture popped into my mind while reading all of this:

[quote name='John 19:10-11'] So Pilate said to him, "Do you not speak to me? Do you not know that I have power to release you and I have power to crucify you?"
Jesus answered (him), "You would have no power over me if it had not been given to you from above. For this reason the one who handed me over to you has the greater sin."[/quote]

He is your pastor. Despite that he is lacking, I think that he should have the respect due to his office. God uses broken vessels all the time. It's something that He does to teach us humility and to teach us to trust in Him. He is always in charge, no matter how hopeless the situation.

Domine ut Videam

[quote name='the_rev' post='954516' date='Apr 19 2006, 08:29 PM']
None of you are here living in this parish that I call Hell. My pastor treats me like scum. Called me a loser, told me I have a no friends, (which is not true) and told me I have no vocation.

Get the facts, decide for yourself.

Sianara!
[/quote]

I'm sorry, but i don't see why you are asking for advice if all you want is a certain answer. Advice comes from all sides and if you seek it you should be open to hearing it.Plus, how are we supposed to know "all of the facts." I was just trying to help, but i can't read minds and i can't live exactly in your life. I'm not trying to be rude, just wanted to drop a note. I'm sorry you're in such a tough situation and i will be praying for you.

-Yours in Christ
lauren

[quote name='jasJis' post='953704' date='Apr 19 2006, 05:45 AM']Take the letter he will write for you. Read it. Pray on it. And then submit it. You're only 16. It's not a deal breaker for your entire life. You may be surprised how you can constructively react to what negatives he may write. You may be surprised that he feels you only need to mature a bit.[/quote]agreed

[quote name='the_rev' post='954278' date='Apr 19 2006, 03:22 PM']Well as per usual, I find that Phatmassto be of no help.[/quote]if you don't want people to comment on your personal life, don't post it on a public phorum

[quote name='the_rev' post='954508' date='Apr 19 2006, 07:23 PM']Peace to all, pray for me, you all definitly are in my prayers.[/quote]you are in my prayers as well. God bless you on your journey

Cow of Shame

[quote name='the_rev' post='954278' date='Apr 19 2006, 05:22 PM']
Well as per usual, I find that Phatmassto be of no help.

And if JasJis is an ex-catholic, why should I be taking advice from him?
[/quote]

Just because someone isn't Catholic doesn't mean they're a jibbering idiot. At least, not on [i]all[/i] topics. I think you are showing a bit of your immaturaty to make such comments. Weren't you really ill, and this community rallied and prayed for you? beaver dam, that's cold.

Lilllabettt

Eddy, you're in my prayers. Pastors have incredibly hard jobs. They've gotta be sooo charitable. My Mother's family quit going to Mass because of a tiff with their pastor. It's a huge responsibility.

If your former pastor wasn't being obedient to Rome, or charitable to you, that is not because he is liberal, or evil, or just plain mean. It is because he is not loving his bambini the way he ought. All disobedience is a problem of the heart. If your former pastor treated you uncharitably, it was because he doesn't love you enough.

I would encourage you, Eddy, if there's anyway your heart can stand it, to not abandon this man. Maybe it's best not to attend Mass at his parish anymore, but that doesn't mean you can't write him a letter. You say that if you wanted to be treated like some people on phatmass treat you, you'd schedule a meeting with your fomer pastor. Well, Eddy, if you can do that, I'd recommend you do try that.

If you can get him face to face, then tell him, in no uncertain terms, that you love him.

(Some parish priests don't have anyone who ever tells them that they love them. Their parents die, and they're only children, and then they never hear it, ever. If you don't love your parish priest, then you simply MUST try to. You know, of course, that I'm not talking about "feelings" when I say love.)

Tell him that you're hurt because you don't think he loves you. If your priest loves you, he will treat you charitably. If your priest loves you, he will obey the will of his Fathers-in-God, for the sake of the children, even if it involves doing something he personally finds repugnant. This is the example of Jesus at Gethsemani.

Empty your voice of any angry, bitter tones. At all times communicate your broken heartedness.

If you do this, Eddy, you will make yourself terribly vulnerable. But your pastor just might be flabergasted enough by your soul-baring honesty that he lets his gaurd down and quits his angry, defensive posture.

This might not get you anywhere in terms of vocation, but you might save a life. (Maybe your own ^_^ )

Good advice, Lilabett,

As of now, I have decided to leave the parish. I am going to ask to be replaced on the liturgical calendar.

I'm going to be getting together with the Monsignor, to discuss my situation. He is a very holy and pious man, and I will do what he thinks is best.

Yours in Christ,

Ed

CatholicCid

[quote name='the_rev' post='955465' date='Apr 20 2006, 06:15 PM']
Good advice, Lilabett,

As of now, I have decided to leave the parish. I am going to ask to be replaced on the liturgical calendar.

I'm going to be getting together with the Monsignor, to discuss my situation. He is a very holy and pious man, and I will do what he thinks is best.

Yours in Christ,

Ed
[/quote]

Will your current Pastor be there?