An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ai......have We Gone Too Far?

HiddenVoice

Don John of Austria

Oh I almost forgot ---as long as they don't put A. I.'s in bulletproof ( I prefer not even club proof) shells we should be okay.

"If you can destroy a thing, you control a thing"

I agree that technology isn't evil (at least not yet) but human failure always tends to screw up good things~ So even if we can truthfully say we, and the people around us, would never indulge in playing God or AI, we can't say the same for everyone else... just look at Bush and the war on Iraq.. (topical digression.. haha)

Kilroy the Ninja

I agree that technology isn't evil (at least not yet) but human failure always tends to screw up good things~ So even if we can truthfully say we, and the people around us, would never indulge in playing God or AI, we can't say the same for everyone else... just look at Bush and the war on Iraq.. (topical digression.. haha)

I fail to see your point about Bush and Iraq as relating to playing God.

As far as others playing God, (I assume you mean with A.I.), I don't honestly believe that man, as vain as he is, will ever allow his own creation to control him. One can argue that we are "controlled" by computers as it is (i.e. when they go down we can't function like we're used to, etc.), but on the most basic level we are not, truly controlled by computers. Should the entire computer infrastructure on the face of the planet get wiped out, humans would still LIVE. Because we are ALIVE and the machines are not. It is my opinion that humans are simply not smart enough to create a sentient mechanic being. For we are not God.

ReformationNow

Yeah, we kinda have. The thing about technology is that its main purpose is to allow progress, but the definition of progress here is simply anything that would help make life easier for us. Human beings are such that at this, we'd start to get lazy and rely more and more on something we could have easily done without before. Right now, I would say that we're at the point on the road where we can't go back to nature because we've forgotten how to survive it, and can only keep on going on out of desperation. In that sense, technology is like a drug. We can't turn back cos we've become dependent, and furthermore, we don't even want to turn back in the first place. We'll continue looking for a drug that's even better than the last, until one of them finally kills us. It's the reason why philosophers have been trying to turn man back to nature (that's their version of progress) for millenia.

Having said that, since this is a Catholic site, I'll just go with "Playing God is wrong".

Who can't turn back? I can. I'm a country boy, and us Country Folk can survive. That's right. "You can't starve us out, and you can't make us run. We're some old boys raised on shotguns."-Hank Jr. Maybe city folk can't turn back, and nerds like Bill Gates.

Machines are incapable of Evil. They can only do as they are programmed to do. Can they behave in a manner in which humans would be described Evil? Yes. Does that make them Evil? No. A machine cannot become self-aware.

Don John of Austria

No a machine ( such as a computer or a lawnmower )cannot be evil, but technology can be evil, certian machines change the way in which humans interact with each other and that can be evil in and of itself. anything which disassosiates people from their coporial nature is defenantly not good, and leans torwards evil.

Reformation, I wish I could say I could turn back from technology, but sadly, I can't. Us city people must be made weaker. I don't even remember what life before my cell phone was like. I feel like I'm missing an arm if I don't have it with me. Or my microwave...oh how I love my microwave. How did anyone reheat or defrost before the microwave? I don't know and don't want to know. :lol: And my computer...my porthole to the world (8 billion people in my city is not enough, lol)I don't need to go on...I think it's apparent how lost I would be without my technology.

Kilroy the Ninja

I don't think I could live more in "the city" unless I moved downtown, and I'm here to tell all of you that, yes, you would continue to live without your microwaves, computers, curling irons, air conditioners, pda's, cable, satellite tv's, and refrigerators.

It might not be as pleasant (or it might, depends upon your perspective), but you would LIVE. You would not DIE.

Isn't it a sin to be so dependent upon "stuff" that one couldn't "live" without it? (And I'm excluding life-giving medical equipment here...)

Without a refrigerator, a lot of the food I've eaten would have been spoiled by the time I got around to eating it, especially if I also hadn't had air conditioning.

I know a girl who fought off a very angry opossum with a curling iron. She certainly was saved a nasty opossum bite, and could have contracted leprosy or malaria from it.

cmotherofpirl

Without a refrigerator, a lot of the food I've eaten would have been spoiled by the time I got around to eating it, especially if I also hadn't had air conditioning.

I know a girl who fought off a very angry opossum with a curling iron. She certainly was saved a nasty opossum bite, and could have contracted leprosy or malaria from it.

leprosy or malaria?

;) rotfl

It seems to me that the further technology advances, the more we depend on ourselves and not God. We're starting to belive that we don't need God anymore; we can do it all for ourselves. From there we begin to wonder if He ever existed in the first place.

I agree that machines aren't evil- they're programmed by human beings... right too.. but human beings control their machines and they therefore become their pawns, to do as they please... Wars are fought with machines today rather than by fist or sword, but it's not less evil.. They allow human beings to go about sinning without feeling the weight of conscience that much because they were indirectly involved...

At the same time, when we talk about A.I., we're talking about programming machines with simulated thoughts, to heat up when it's cold, to repair itself when damaged, to turn itself off when it's not being used... Even responses to different kinds of treatment... For example, to defend itself against human beings trying to damage it intentionally... It gets more and more sophisticated, and therein lies the danger... I mean, we can't even take care of our God-given world, we misuse trees, we abuse animals... what's to stop us from doing the same to the machines? By then, they would have programmed themselves with complex reactions and blah blah blah... yeah you get the point..

I personally wish I could live in the country... like in France or Italy and be a poor wine-crusher... Singapore's always been this sheltered place where you can only survive by operating machines... some kids here don't even know how to operate a butter knife.... sigh.... :)

littleflower+JMJ

hey i don't have a cell phone!!!

and even if i did, it wouldn't be my oxygen like it is for some ppl!!

:ph34r: :ph34r: