An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Reading?

Nathan

Similar to those never-ending "What Are You Listening To?" threads I see on countless messageboards, I thought I would start a thread about the books we are reading. And what better place than the Word forum. Phatcatholic, you might want to make this a sticky.

Here goes:

At the moment I am finishing up [i]The History of the Bible in English[/i], by the late Scripture scholar F.F. Bruce. As its title implies, the book chronicles the development of the English Bible from a historical (and critical) standpoint, from the earliest indecipherable Old English translations to Wycliffe's Bible to the Douay-Rheims and Authorized Versions, all the way through to the modern biggies like the RSV, JB, NEB, NAB, NIV, etc. Many, many rare "specialty" translations, Catholic, Protestant, and Jewish, are also discussed. It is excellent; insurmountably informative, and quite an entertaining read to boot. I recommend it highly.

What about you?

Fides_et_Ratio

I've been reading endless commentaries in hopes of finishing my exegesis paper (man, it's gonna be a long night... I may have to unplug my internet to get it done... haha)

Aside from that I've been reading:
"The Privilege of Being a Woman" by Alice von Hildebrand
"Leisure, the Basis of Culture" by Josef Pieper
and
"Mary in the Redemption" by Adrienne von Speyr

The Book of Mormon (bet with Mormon buddy- I go LDS or he goes Catholic)

The Bible

Faith and Reason: The Philosophy of Religion by Peter Kreft

The Lamb's Supper by Scott Hahn

Summa of the Summa by Peter Kreft

Story of a Soul by St. Therese of Liseaux

[quote name='jswranch' post='963963' date='Apr 28 2006, 09:10 AM']
The Book of Mormon (bet with Mormon buddy- I go LDS or he goes Catholic)

The Bible

Faith and Reason: The Philosophy of Religion by Peter Kreft

The Lamb's Supper by Scott Hahn

Summa of the Summa by Peter Kreft

Story of a Soul by St. Therese of Liseaux
[/quote]
I love The Lamb's Supper and Story of a Soul! Two of my favorite books. And how is Summa of the Summa? Does it condense Aquinas well?

[i]Summa of the Summa[/i] is fantastic. Cool, too, is Kreeft's [i]A Shorter Summa[/i], which is a compilation of the key philosophical passages in St. Thomas' magnum opus. I would actually recommend reading the latter before tackling the former, if you are a beginner like myself.

Anyway...

Just started reading [i]The Meaning of Conservatism[/i] by Roger Scruton, the British political philosopher. So far, so good. Scruton is a staunch conservative. It isn't easy to find an academic philosophy of conservatism these days that actually supports the position. John Kekes' [i]A Case for Conservatism[/i] and [i]Against Liberalism[/i] are the only other modern ones that come to mind.

AlterDominicus

I'm reading a tiny 2 in a half inch book I got from Sister Joseph Andrew, called The Eucharist Lord, prayers to our Lord. Something like that.

I haven't been able to do as much spiritual reading because of school, but I've been working on St. Teresa of Avila's [i]Interior Castle[/i] and St. Augustine's [i]City of God[/i]. :)

[quote name='Colleen' post='964422' date='Apr 28 2006, 04:42 PM']
I haven't been able to do as much spiritual reading because of school, but I've been working on St. Teresa of Avila's [i]Interior Castle[/i] and St. Augustine's [i]City of God[/i]. :)
[/quote]

Is the [i]Interior Castle[/i] a difficult read? I've always wanted to read it.

I'm always in the middle of alot of books, right now...

[i]The Screwtape Letters[/i] by C.S. Lewis

[i]Padre Pio: The True Story[/i] by C. Bernard Ruffin

and countless comics and fantasy stuff that I read for entertainment when I don't want to think!

[quote name='Nathan' post='964392' date='Apr 28 2006, 04:02 PM']
[i]Summa of the Summa[/i] is fantastic. Cool, too, is Kreeft's [i]A Shorter Summa[/i], which is a compilation of the key philosophical passages in St. Thomas' magnum opus. I would actually recommend reading the latter before tackling the former, if you are a beginner like myself.

[/quote]
Awesome! I've been wanting to tackle some Aquinas for a while now, and it looks like this would be a good place to start.

Right now I'm reading:

The Bible
[i]The Open Circle[/i]- the Meaning of Christian Brotherhood, by the Pope when he was still "Joseph Ratzinger"
[i]Witness to Hope[/i] by George Weigel
[i]The Chronicles of the Crusades[/i]
[i]Divine Comedy[/i]
[i]Pilgrim's Regress[/i] by CS Lewis
and [i]Narnia and Beyond[/i] by Thomas Howard.

Narnia and Beyond-Thomas Howard
The Lambs Supper-Scott Hahn
Orthodoxy(again)-G.K. chesterton
Mere Christianity- C.S. Lewis

[quote name='YMNolan' post='965160' date='Apr 29 2006, 11:31 AM']
Is the [i]Interior Castle[/i] a difficult read? I've always wanted to read it.

I'm always in the middle of alot of books, right now...

[i]The Screwtape Letters[/i] by C.S. Lewis[/quote]

Screwtape Letters is excellent. Interior Castle is difficult in a way. I'm reading [url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385036434/sr=8-1/qid=1146351749/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-0744592-7756717?%5Fencoding=UTF8"]this translation[/url], which isn't hard to understand. But it's a very mystical work, so I think it might be best to read in small doses. At least, that's what I've been doing (partly because of school, too). But I do recommend it! :)

I've been reading E.V. Rieu's translation of the Gospels over the last couple of days ([i]The Four Gospels[/i], Penguin Classics, 1952). Rieu, a British Classics scholar, was a lifelong agnostic by the time he undertook his translation at the age of 60; a year later he joined the Church of England and apparently became quite the devout Anglican as a result of his work.

The translation is quite good! Scholarly and very readable; essentially a literal translation, but with a master classicist's flair. Unfortunately, it is extremely rare -- to the best of my knowledge, Penguin has never released a subsequent edition. If you come across this forgotten gem, do not pass it up.

Edited by Nathan

[quote name='Colleen' post='965436' date='Apr 29 2006, 06:04 PM']
Screwtape Letters is excellent. Interior Castle is difficult in a way. I'm reading [url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385036434/sr=8-1/qid=1146351749/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-0744592-7756717?%5Fencoding=UTF8"]this translation[/url], which isn't hard to understand. But it's a very mystical work, so I think it might be best to read in small doses. At least, that's what I've been doing (partly because of school, too). But I do recommend it! :)
[/quote]
Thanks. That's what I figured. I don't have time for much more than small doses of reading anyway, lol.