An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Reading?

Nathan

JMJ
5/7 - Good Shepherd Sunday

I started reading Cardinal Newman's [i]Loss and Gain[/i] on Friday. It's an amazing look into his own conversion story. Good stuff.

Guest Rick777

Basically everything ever written by the Carmelite saints or anything on Carmelite spirituality, one I must list is "Fire Within" by Fr. Thomas Dubay. True Devotion to Mary by St. Louis de Montfort, the Imitation of Christ, Diary of St. Fuastina, Crown of Glory, The Life of Pope Pius XII, and so many others I can't even list. I'm also reading Hamlet for school.....not very spiritual but interesting.

[quote name='Lil Red' post='965592' date='Apr 29 2006, 07:12 PM']
right now, i'm reading [u]The Courage to be Catholic: Crisis, Reform, and the Future of the Catholic Church[/u]. it's very good and informative! :D:
[/quote]
seriously, every Catholic needs to read this book! it is amazing!

okay, so right now i'm reading:

[u]Pope Fiction[/u] by Patrick Madrid
[u]The New Anti-Catholicism : The Last Acceptable Prejudice[/u] by Philip Jenkins
[u]The New Faithful: Why Young Adults Are Embracing Christian Orthodoxy[/u] by Colleen Carroll

Edited by Lil Red

where do you people have the money to buy all of these books? :)

I finished the book Parish Priest and now have moved on to skimming How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization.

MC IMaGiNaZUN

I saw some books here that i have read that i further recommend:

[u]Mere Christianity[/u] by CS Lewis.
[u]The New Anti-Catholicism[/u] by Phillip Jenkins.
Everybody should read the [u]Confessions[/u] by St. Augustine.

I am also reading [u]the Interior Castle[/u] by St. Teresa. Its a slow read for such a short book, that is if i really want to get something out of it.

[u]The Da Vinci Hoax[/u] by Carl Olson.

I also finished recently reading a GK Chesterton book i would recommend [u]The Everlasting Man[/u]. It is a very inspirational read for the serious religious mind.

SHALOM

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Okay, I think I will post some of the books that I am reading or that are waiting to be read and some reference books...

The Imitation of Christ by Kempis
Compendium of the Catechism
(well, I pray it not read it) The Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Latin Grammar (For reading the Missal and Breviary) by Scanlon & Scanlon
The Holy Bible (DRV 1957 Edition)
The Soul Sanctified: Catholic Wisdom on the Way of Salvation
The Catechism
Butler's Lives of the Saints
A Practical Commentary on Holy Scripture
A Textual Concordance of the Holy Scriptures (DRV by Williams)

I'll have to list some more later... these were the ones that were readily avaliable to me at the time of typing and did not require me to get up to get them. :D:

[quote name='jezic' post='975275' date='May 8 2006, 10:24 AM']where do you people have the money to buy all of these books? :)[/quote]a lot of the books that are waiting to be read, i bought when i had the money, so that means i have about 8-10 books that are waiting to be read (not including the 3 books I am reading right now) :)

Noel's angel

I don't know where you people get the time to read all those books! I prefer to give one book my total attention, rather than reading a number of books at once. Right now I'm not reading anything because exams are on their way and I need to concentrate on those. But once summer is on, I'll be reading non stop. The last book I read was Teacher Man.

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='975471' date='May 8 2006, 02:57 PM']I don't know where you people get the time to read all those books! I prefer to give one book my total attention, rather than reading a number of books at once. [/quote]i guess i compartamentalize well :idontknow: one book i read at work, the other two i read at home. i alternate days. :idontknow:

[u]John Paul the Great[/u] by Peggy Noonan

great person perspective on JPII.. lucid and fun to read.

she goes into the scandals too.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='975471' date='May 8 2006, 02:57 PM']
I don't know where you people get the time to read all those books! I prefer to give one book my total attention, rather than reading a number of books at once.
[/quote]
A good number of books I am reading now are devotional and can be taken day at a time or whatever....

journeyman

The Hymn in today's Evening Prayer (II Liturgy of the Hours 1525)

Now fades all earthly splendor,
The shades of night descend;
The dying of the daylight
Foretells creation's end.
Though noon gives place to sunset,
Yet dark gives place to light:
The promise of tomorrow
With dawn's new hope is bright.

The silver notes of morning
Will greet the rising sun,
As once the Easter glory
Shone round the Risen One.
So will the night of dying
Give peace to heaven's day,
And hope of heaven's vision
Will light our pilgrim way.

So will the new creation
Rise from the old reborn
To splendor in Christ's glory
And everlasting morn.
All darkness will be ended
As faith gives place to sight
Of Father, Son and Spirit,
One God, in heaven's light.

Sojourner

I'm in re-reading mode right now ... almost all the books on my list at the moment are re-treads. Let's see ...

I'm reading some poems by T.S. Eliot, "Til We Have Faces" by C.S. Lewis (his best novel), "Holy the Firm" by Annie Dillard, and a handful of non-religious books. I'm also gearing up to start the Theology of the Body again and hopefully finish it this time around.

Domine ut Videam

[quote name='jezic' post='975275' date='May 8 2006, 10:24 AM']
where do you people have the money to buy all of these books? :)

[/quote]

I get them from my SD....who has told me that he only wants me to read the "best," and :) he's saving me a lot of time cause he had to read a lot of mediocre books to find the jewels. So basically, i read the books he gives me...which are all awesome...and then if i really liked them i go and buy them so that i can highlight, underline, write notes in....etc... :D: Ususally it is my parents money (I'm 16), they can't resist buying me books. :P:

-Yours in Christ
Lauren