An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Reading?

Nathan

Fides_et_Ratio

[quote name='jezic' post='975275' date='May 8 2006, 12:24 PM']
where do you people have the money to buy all of these books? :)
[/quote]
I still live at home... and instead of saving to pay off my college debt I tend to buy books--especially when they are discounted at allcatholicbooks or on sale at amazon.com.

[quote name='jezic' post='975275' date='May 8 2006, 11:24 AM']
where do you people have the money to buy all of these books? :)

[/quote]Library book sale. :detective: Plus I have access to my parents' library of thousands.

[quote name='Tindomiel' post='980113' date='May 13 2006, 10:18 AM']
Library book sale. :detective: Plus I have access to my parents' library of thousands.
[/quote]

Same here.

buying book tip: www.bookcloseouts.com

i just bought 5 books on my wish list for $40. all hardcover :)

Has anyone here read any of Thomas Howard's books? He's an absolutely magnificent philosopher and literature critic, and he always brings an awesome Catholic spin to everything he writes. (And he really appeals well to fans of Mediaeval culture ;) )

Thomas Howard = :woot:

seriously, though :) i have read his book [u]Evangelical is Not Enough[/u], which was AWESOME! i read it, and at the end he states that it was after this book was written that he converted to Catholicism, which totally surprised me! i read the whole book thinking that he was Catholic!

I just finished going through a Soren Kierkegaard anthology(brilliant and hilarious, although I disagree with him on a ton), and I'm starting the Penguin collection of selected writings from Aquinas

Forgot to update this; I am now reading "Catholic Matters" by Richard John Neuhaus. And MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN is it good. One of the best I've read in awhile.

Mateo el Feo

Great books so far!

Here's what I'm currently reading:
[u][b]De Trinitate[/b][/u] by St. Augustine ([url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0911782966/102-2319893-4028967?st=%2A&v=glance&n=283155"]link[/url])

Recent Favorites:
[u][b]Introduction to the Devout Life[/b][/u] by St. Frances de Sales ([url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385030096/qid=1147725484/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-2319893-4028967?s=books&v=glance&n=283155"]link[/url])
[u][b]Imitation of Christ[/b][/u] by Thomas a Kempis ([url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0375700188/qid=1147725542/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/102-2319893-4028967?s=books&v=glance&n=283155"]link[/url])

morostheos

Right now I'm also reading

Boy Meets Girl by Joshua Harris

and I bought
Stalking the Divine by Kristin Ohlsen (has anyone else read this? it looked good...)

I buy most of my books at the Green Valley Book Fair, which is about 15 minutes from my house. They are open for about a week every other month, and have books at 70% - 90% off. I rarely pay more than $5 for a book.

Theologian in Training

For those who want to know where I get the money. I have acquired a large amount of books throughout my life. People have given them to me, I once had to clear out a library of a seminary that was closing (they actually wanted me to toss a lot of great books). Actually, between 70-80% of the books I own, someone gave me. I really only buy poetry books, because I love poetry, and no one knows poetry to buy me the right authors ;)

As to the time, I find have read most, if not all, of the books I own, partly or in full, either way though, they are excellent references, especially for someone who has to write homilies ;) In fact, a couple of weeks ago I picked up a book called "Awake My Soul," which is a compilation of a bunch of essays people have written about devotions for "America" magazine, and I have found some of what they say to have great ideas to use for homilies. For example, this past weekend's homily about the vine and the branches, I found an idea on how that relates to mother's in that book. I also liked Matt Lickona's books "Swimming With Scapulars" since that too proved to be helpful for homilies. Actually, truth be told, those are the perfect books for homilies, because they give a personal dimension and a lived experience of their Catholicism, which is what people struggle with everyday.

Anyway, I got a little sidetracked...if I don't read the book in its entirety I definitely will reference it once or twice, and sometimes even use it for a homily or two. The only books I do read cover to cover, and rarely reference, but use as a means of inspiration for writing a homily (or poem) is poetry itself. I have two bookshelves full, mostly of contemporary poetry, and most, if not all of them, I do buy myself, and yeah, that does become very expensive. I think i dropped almost $100 the other night at Borders (even with a rewards card) on two new great poets (Franz Wright and Mary Karr) and I am very pleased with those purchases :)

God Bless

[quote name='Lil Red' post='981097' date='May 14 2006, 05:08 PM']
Thomas Howard = :woot:

seriously, though :) i have read his book [u]Evangelical is Not Enough[/u], which was AWESOME! i read it, and at the end he states that it was after this book was written that he converted to Catholicism, which totally surprised me! i read the whole book thinking that he was Catholic!
[/quote]
I'm having lunch with him next Sunday!!

[quote name='Tindomiel' post='982164' date='May 16 2006, 07:52 AM']
I'm having lunch with him next Sunday!!
[/quote]
:drool: are you serious?! :drool: you are so lucky!

[quote name='Lil Red' post='982482' date='May 16 2006, 12:22 PM']
:drool: are you serious?! :drool: you are so lucky!
[/quote]
Absolutely! I can't wait. His [i]Narnia and Beyond[/i] is one of my favorite books.