An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Reading?

Nathan

*sigh* i add more books to my amazon wish list every day! :( right now, i'm reading [u]The Courage to be Catholic: Crisis, Reform, and the Future of the Catholic Church[/u]. it's very good and informative! :D:

blovedwolfofgod

[i]True Devotion to Mary[/i] by Louis DeMontfort

And I want to get a chance to read [i]Confessions of St. Augustine[/i] by the man himself. I love the books the Saints write.

[quote name='blovedwolfofgod' post='966123' date='Apr 30 2006, 04:55 PM']And I want to get a chance to read [i]Confessions of St. Augustine[/i] by the man himself. I love the books the Saints write.[/quote]
I love that one. [url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/014044114X/sr=8-1/qid=1146438832/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-0744592-7756717?%5Fencoding=UTF8"]This[/url] is the translation I have, and it's really good. :)

franciscan13

"Hail Holy Queen" Scott Hann
"Screwtape Letters" C. S. Lewis
and the Bible, always reading the Bible

phatcatholic

the [i]New Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture[/i] that amy just got me as an early birthday present :D:

amandaplus5

[i]The Lamb's Supper[/i] Scott Hahn
[i]Catholicism and Fundamentalsim[/i] Karl Keating

For pleasure, I'm reading [i]Let Freedom Ring[/i] by Sean Hannity and [i]Pierced by a Sword[/i]. I can't remeber the author of the latter at the moment, but I highly recomend this book. It's fiction with a Catholic twist (but it incorporates Catholicism into the book in a manner that shows its truth. It doesn't convolute it at all).

Excelsior1027

[quote name='jmj' post='964436' date='Apr 28 2006, 05:53 PM']
I'm plodding through [i]The Imitation of Christ[/i] and am enjoying it immensely.
[/quote]

[quote name='blovedwolfofgod' post='966123' date='Apr 30 2006, 05:55 PM']
[i]True Devotion to Mary[/i] by Louis DeMontfort
[/quote]

I'm reading both of those right now, the [i]Imitation[/i] for the second time and [i]True Devotion to Mary[/i] for the first. A friend recommended [i]True Devotion[/i] to me since I'm still a fairly new Catholic and I want to learn more about our Blessed Mother. :D:

Tindomiel

[quote name='Excelsior1027' post='967411' date='May 1 2006, 04:24 PM']
I'm reading both of those right now, the [i]Imitation[/i] for the second time and [i]True Devotion to Mary[/i] for the first. A friend recommended [i]True Devotion[/i] to me since I'm still a fairly new Catholic and I want to learn more about our Blessed Mother. :D:
[/quote]
It's one of my favorites. I only just found out about it recently though.

morostheos

I am currently reading:

"The Privilege of Being a Woman" by Alice von Hildebrand
"Love and Responsibility" by Karol Wotjywa (sp?)
"Swear to God" by Scott Hahn

and my meditation book is
"Heart of the World" by Hans urs von Balthasar - it's very beautiful!

TheOliverOrder88

I can name a few...

Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton
Triumph: the Power and glory of the Catholic Church by H.W. Crocker III
The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
The Wasteland and othe writings by T.S. Elliot
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol 1. by Alan Moore
and to top it off...
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis

I can't ever read just one book at a time...I would never get them done.

i have about 30 or so that i have started or that i want to read

some include

Interior Castle

7 Story Moutain

Confessions by Saint Augustine

Orthodoxy by Chesterton

and many more.

There are some good books on this thread already though.

Right now I'm reading [i]The Fifth Sun: Aztec Gods, Aztec World[/i] by Burr Cartwright Brundage. I love Aztec mythology and history, and this is an excellent study.

Also, Bernard Lonergan's [i]A Second Collection[/i] (W.F. Ryan, S.J. & Bernard J. Tyrrell, S.J., eds.). Basically, a collection of papers and lectures, along with an interview, by the late, great Canadian Jesuit philosopher and theologian. Lonergan is not an easy read (to put it mildly), but this volume is a reasonably accessible introduction to his thought.

Theologian in Training

Most of my books are in boxes, but I have retained a few of them since I go on retreat this weekend. Since I always take it with me when I am on retreat, and still have not finished it, I am reading on/off "The Soul of the Apostolate." However, seeing as the academic year is winding down (or done for me) and I really have no desire to do anything academic I have been reading and actually am always reading poetry, mostly contemporary. Some of the poets I have been reading:

Franz Wright
Czeslaw Milosz
Colette Inez
and always occasional ones by:
Li-Young Lee
Anne Sexton
John Donne

Theopolitical Imagination by Dr. Cavenaugh(**St. Thomas rep)
Embrace and Exclusion by Volf(**good book, cant say enough)
The Mass of Early Christians (Aquilla, good patristics book)

oh yea, and whatever for class ;)