An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Reading?

Nathan

TeresaBenedicta

I'm currently inbetween three books:

[i]The Professor's House[/i] by Willa Cartha
^Kinda boring. I'm about a quarter into the book and there's no plot yet. Sticking with it, though. I don't like starting novels and not finishing them.

[i]The Three Ages of the Interior Life[/i] by Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange OP
^Wish I had it in hard copy, but alas... It's my spiritual reading for right now.

[i]Natura Pura[/i] by Steven Long, OP
^Whoa, talk about a dense book! I really have to slow down reading this one. It's intense. It's a book that highlights a very important controversy that most people aren't even aware of, yet has huge consequences. It's an argument to recapture the distinct ends of man: natural and supernatural. It's an argument to recapture the importance of grace.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='11 June 2010 - 01:11 PM' timestamp='1276276278' post='2127290']
[i]Natura Pura[/i] by Steven Long, OP[/quote]
Hey, cool. I put that on my wishlist soon after it came out. I hope to read that book in the future but considering the vastness of my wishlist and the shortness of human life I'm not betting the farm. If you want to post about it some time I'd be interested. :smokey:

[quote name='eustace scrubb' date='08 May 2010 - 05:29 AM' timestamp='1273310968' post='2106884']
the interior castle by st. teresa of avila
[/quote]

:thumbsup: nice!

[quote name='zunshynn' date='27 May 2010 - 04:59 PM' timestamp='1274993945' post='2119273']
[i]He Leadeth Me[/i] by Walter Ciszek, SJ
[/quote]

Do you know anything about him? Just curious because I know almost nothing, except that he spent a lot of time in a gulag. I recently read [i]The Way of a Pilgrim[/i] and had hesitations about the way he described later stages of prayer... of course I don't have experience in it, but I would not say it was like the Carmelite Saints. It seemed a lot more self-centered and focused on the passions, though he cautions against spiritual pride, which is always a good thing to warn against. Anyway the prayer described didn't seem "upward" enough, if you know what I mean... it seemed very "inward". Ss. Teresa and John of the Cross always focus on union with the Lord and forgetfulness of self. Ciszek did speak constantly of the Lord and of Divine Union (though he didn't use those words), but the method described for prayer seemed to forget God altogether. It was very close to the centering prayer described by Father Thomas Keating. Please inform me if Ciszek has been highly rated by orthodox Catholics, because he's kinda in limbo in my mind. I'd like to change that. :)

I've been making my way through [i]The Life of Teresa of Jesus[/i]. It's awesome. :D

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='11 June 2010 - 01:06 PM' timestamp='1276283163' post='2127355']
Do you know anything about him? Just curious because I know almost nothing, except that he spent a lot of time in a gulag. I recently read [i]The Way of a Pilgrim[/i] and had hesitations about the way he described later stages of prayer... of course I don't have experience in it, but I would not say it was like the Carmelite Saints. It seemed a lot more self-centered and focused on the passions, though he cautions against spiritual pride, which is always a good thing to warn against. Anyway the prayer described didn't seem "upward" enough, if you know what I mean... it seemed very "inward". Ss. Teresa and John of the Cross always focus on union with the Lord and forgetfulness of self. Ciszek did speak constantly of the Lord and of Divine Union (though he didn't use those words), but the method described for prayer seemed to forget God altogether. It was very close to the centering prayer described by Father Thomas Keating. Please inform me if Ciszek has been highly rated by orthodox Catholics, because he's kinda in limbo in my mind. I'd like to change that. :)
[/quote]

I don't know anything about him really, except a lot of sisters at OLAM really loved his books and highly recommended him.

laetitia crucis

Somehow I've just lost one of the books I was reading. I've been looking for it around the house for the past three days.

I has a major sad. :weep:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='15 June 2010 - 12:48 PM' timestamp='1276620517' post='2129269']
Somehow I've just lost one of the books I was reading. I've been looking for it around the house for the past three days.

I has a major sad. :weep:
[/quote]

Found it!

:yahoo:

It was hiding under one of my philosophy books... :doh:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='11 June 2010 - 02:23 PM' timestamp='1276277020' post='2127296']
Hey, cool. I put that on my wishlist soon after it came out. I hope to read that book in the future but considering the vastness of my wishlist and the shortness of human life I'm not betting the farm. If you want to post about it some time I'd be interested. :smokey:
[/quote]

I'm only about a quarter of the way through it right now, but Long is blowing my mind. I [i]highly[/i] recommend this book if you're at all interested in the subject matter. Long's arguments are clear and concise. He has a firm grasp of the issues at large and offers a narrative of what led up to de Lubac's decision to collapse the supernatural into the natural and why he felt as though he had to do it. Then Long proceeds to argue that de Lubac had the right instinct, but went the wrong direction.

Now he's transitioning into his solution to the problem as a whole.

Gal. 5:22,23

No Turning Back, A Witness to Mercy by Fr. Donald Calloway. I apologize if this one's been mentioned. I read it in two days...incredible.

lookingforfaith

I just finished reading [u]The Screwtape Letters[/u] by CS Lewis. It was incredibly refreshing and witty. It has such a unique persepctive on Christianity, and I loved it.

TeresaBenedicta

I have a bad habit of reading too many books at once... especially during the summer, since I have so much time on my hands.

I'm still reading [i]Natura Pura[/i], but I'm taking my time with this one, reading it slowly and taking notes on it.

[i]The Vampire Armand[/i] by Anne Rice-- a reread for me, usually what I go to when I don't want to put a lot of effort into reading.

[i]The Dumb Ox[/i] by GK Chesterton. I read parts of it for a class two semesters ago and have been meaning to read the entirety of it. I thought it would be a good beginning to what I've decided is going to be an extensive study of Thomas this summer.

At night I'm reading a biography of [i]Mother Teresa[/i]. It's a book I found at a used bookstore and picked up for like $2. It's not the best biography I've read (it's not extremely well-written), but it does a pretty good job and I simply don't know much about Mother Teresa!

Aaaaand I've been reading periodically from [i]The Three Ages of the Interior Life[/i] and [i]Abandonment to Divine Providence[/i] as spiritual reading.

I'm ridiculous. :huh:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='23 June 2010 - 06:06 PM' timestamp='1277330790' post='2133353']
I have a bad habit of reading too many books at once... especially during the summer, since I have so much time on my hands.

I'm still reading [i]Natura Pura[/i], but I'm taking my time with this one, reading it slowly and taking notes on it.

[i]The Vampire Armand[/i] by Anne Rice-- a reread for me, usually what I go to when I don't want to put a lot of effort into reading.

[i]The Dumb Ox[/i] by GK Chesterton. I read parts of it for a class two semesters ago and have been meaning to read the entirety of it. I thought it would be a good beginning to what I've decided is going to be an extensive study of Thomas this summer.

At night I'm reading a biography of [i]Mother Teresa[/i]. It's a book I found at a used bookstore and picked up for like $2. It's not the best biography I've read (it's not extremely well-written), but it does a pretty good job and I simply don't know much about Mother Teresa!

Aaaaand I've been reading periodically from [i]The Three Ages of the Interior Life[/i] and [i]Abandonment to Divine Providence[/i] as spiritual reading.

I'm ridiculous. :huh:
[/quote]

I have the same problem, TB! :sweat:

Here's what I've been reading this summer:

- [i]The Dumb Ox[/i] by Chesterton :love:
- [i]The Dialogues[/i] of Catherine of Siena (This has been a really sloooooow read for me. :dunce: )
- [i]The Confessions[/i] by St. Augustine
- [i]Story of a Soul[/i] by St. Therese (re-read)
- [i]Calvary and the Mass[/i] by Fulton Sheen (re-read)
- [i]De Veritate[/i] by St. Thomas Aquinas

Just finished [i]Saint Dominic: The Grace of the Word[/i] by Fr. Guy Bedouelle, OP. Loved it! [i]Definitely[/i] helped foster a love for St. Dominic. :)

My books from TAN's super-fabulous clearance arrived today. :woot: I'll start those in the near future.

- [i]My Sister Saint Therese[/i] by Celine Martin (re-read -- totally helps one to see a different side of Therese.)
- [i]The Divine Favors Granted to St. Joseph[/i] by Pere Binet (I'm trying to grow in my love of St. Joseph.)

And to help foster a greater love and devotion to my future brethren...

- [i]Dominican Saints[/i] by Dominican Novices
- [i]St. Dominic's Family[/i] by Sr. Mary Jean Dorcy, OP

icelandic_iceskater

[quote name='Geras16' date='18 June 2010 - 07:37 PM' timestamp='1276900631' post='2131097']
Left to Tell by Immaculee. Can't put it down.
[/quote]
omg, so good! Once you're done, pick up "Led by Faith." Gosh, I couldn't began to explain how good they are. She is amazing.

I'm kinda on a Mitch Albom kick, currently reading "The Five People You Meet in Heaven."

I'm also (per usual) skimming Paschal's Pensees

And reading Kreeft's Handbook of Christian Apologetics <<< SO good.

TeresaBenedicta

I've recently added [i]Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows[/i] to my reading-- gotta prepare for the movie coming out!!!