The Church Teaches - A compendium of Church documents
Summa Theologica Vol. 1

Wishlist:
Divine Intimacy
True Devotion to Mary
Roman Breviary [Latin/English]
1962 Missal [Latin/English]

TeresaBenedicta

[i]Christian Perfection and Contemplation: According to St. Thomas Aquinas and St. John of the Cross[/i] by Fr. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange OP

Can I say "Whoa"?! :like: I highly recommend this book, although I will admit that he something of a scholarly flow of writing, following in the footsteps of St. Thomas himself, which can sometimes make you go :blink: .

Still, I think that this is a [i]treasure[/i] for those who are trying to get a firmer grasp of the way of both Christian perfection and contemplation... which, according to the thesis of this book, are both so intimately connected that it should never occur that the ascetic life should be separated from the so-called mystical life.

Again, a little :blink: at times, but... if you are at all interested in Carmelite or Dominican spirituality or even the way of Christian perfection in general (which I would hope is all of you!), I highly recommend you put this on your to-read list.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1282977142' post='2164425']
[i]Christian Perfection and Contemplation: According to St. Thomas Aquinas and St. John of the Cross[/i] by Fr. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange OP

Can I say "Whoa"?! :like: I highly recommend this book, although I will admit that he something of a scholarly flow of writing, following in the footsteps of St. Thomas himself, which can sometimes make you go :blink: .

Still, I think that this is a [i]treasure[/i] for those who are trying to get a firmer grasp of the way of both Christian perfection and contemplation... which, according to the thesis of this book, are both so intimately connected that it should never occur that the ascetic life should be separated from the so-called mystical life.

Again, a little :blink: at times, but... if you are at all interested in Carmelite or Dominican spirituality or even the way of Christian perfection in general (which I would hope is all of you!), I highly recommend you put this on your to-read list.
[/quote]

coolio, i may have to look into this. and by look into I mean buy at the first chance I get. I also need to get my hands on a copy of Papa Benedict's [i]Jesus of Nazareth. [/i]Book fiendddddd

laetitia crucis

Still finishing up [i]LOTR: The Return of the King[/i]. :love:

Went to the library today and checked out:

- [i]The Last Juror[/i] by John Grisham
- [i]Sense and Sensibility[/i] by Jane Austen
- [i]The Hound of the Baskervilles[/i] by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

:w00t:

• 3 weeks later...

[list][*][i]Deus Caritas Est[/i][*][i]Way of Perfection[/i][*][i]re-reading Introduction to the devout life[/i][/list]
I am supposed to start [i]True Devotion[/i] but I need to finish one of the three first - I dont' think I can keep my focus on anything more than three books (Although De Sales' book is more a meditation guide for me)

:sigh: Edited for Typo

Edited by HopefulBride

• 3 weeks later...
Studiumecclesiae

[u]Through the Narrow Gate[/u]: A Nun's Story: A Memoir of Convent Life (Karen Armstrong)
The testimony of a woman who has been through a prevatican II religious order.

St Teresa of Avila's [u]life[/u]. a hard book...:wall:

TeresaBenedicta

[i]Crime and Punishment[/i] by Dostoevsky

[i]The Spiritual Canticle and Commentary[/i] by St. John of the Cross

• 2 weeks later...
sistersintigo

I don't have them yet, but they are the next books I'm going to look for:
the author was known as "Brother Choleric" and they were cartoons with captions.
The post Vatican II volume was called "Cracks in the Curia"
and the rest were called "Cracks in the Cloister" in multiple volumes.

"Brother Choleric" was actually Dom Hubert von Zeller OSB of Downside Abbey, an Englishman born in Egypt.
He wrote many serious books, some of which have been recommended on these phorums.
My phorum search for "Brother Choleric" turned up absolutely nothing. Not a thread, not a post.

It is said that the people who laugh the hardest at "Brother Choleric" are those best acquainted with monastic life.

Hinter dem Horizont

[quote name='jswranch' timestamp='1146233446' post='963963']
The Book of Mormon (bet with Mormon buddy- I go LDS or he goes Catholic)

The Bible

Faith and Reason: The Philosophy of Religion by Peter Kreft

The Lamb's Supper by Scott Hahn

Summa of the Summa by Peter Kreft

Story of a Soul by St. Therese of Liseaux
[/quote]

Major fan of Summa of the Summa. I read all the classics.

I just finished some books by the Trappist Thomas More. He`s incredible. Although, most Trappist monasteries are not Traditional. They are all liberal now, unfortunately...

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Hinter dem Horizont' timestamp='1288304787' post='2183292']
Major fan of Summa of the Summa. I read all the classics.

I just finished some books by the Trappist Thomas More. He`s incredible. Although, most Trappist monasteries are not Traditional. They are all liberal now, unfortunately...
[/quote]

They're not all liberal. I know of a very solid Trappist monastery around where I live. So there's hope for them still :like:

Hinter dem Horizont

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1288306245' post='2183300']
They're not all liberal. I know of a very solid Trappist monastery around where I live. So there's hope for them still :like:
[/quote]

I have never found ones that are Traditional...

[quote name='Ziggamafu' timestamp='1146189199' post='963468']
"The Miracle Detective" by Randell Sullivan
[/quote]

I used that book for my research paper last year on [i]A Course in Miracles[/i] (some crazy thing Oprah was/is promoting)