An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Reading?

Nathan

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1288937007' post='2185069']
Rereading [u]The Lamb's Supper[/u] by Scott Hahn so I can lead a bible study based on it.
[/quote]
:twitch:

you are basing a bible study on one of his books?

I avoid his work, ever since I heard his bizarre Adam and Eve interpretations.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='kafka' timestamp='1288971006' post='2185139']
:twitch:

you are basing a bible study on one of his books?

I avoid his work, ever since I heard his bizarre Adam and Eve interpretations.
[/quote]

He has weird Adam and Eve interpretations? :blink:

The bible study is gonna be on discovering the biblical roots of the Mass. I'm not having the participants read the book, but I was planning on using it as sort of some of my background in teaching it.

This is the first I've ever heard anyone think that Hahn is funky. I respect your posts a lot, so I'd like to hear more about what has turned you off from Hahn.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1288974109' post='2185169']
He has weird Adam and Eve interpretations? :blink:

The bible study is gonna be on discovering the biblical roots of the Mass. I'm not having the participants read the book, but I was planning on using it as sort of some of my background in teaching it.

This is the first I've ever heard anyone think that Hahn is funky. I respect your posts a lot, so I'd like to hear more about what has turned you off from Hahn.
[/quote]
not to mention bizarre feminine interpretations of the Holy Spirit. I am glad he converted over, though I cant remember reading anything truly insightful from him. I am difficult to please when it comes to theology. Some of his stuff might help some people along their way, but personally I avoid him. The newoxfordreview did some articles on his 'novelties'

http://www.newoxfordreview.org/note.jsp?did=0207-notes-gnosticism

http://www.newoxfordreview.org/article.jsp?did=0604-oneill

http://www.newoxfordreview.org/note.jsp?did=0105-notes-hahn

I've also read criticisms of his errors in various theological works I've read the past few years.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='Isaac77' timestamp='1288983771' post='2185227']
[b]Dissent From The Creed: Heresies Past And Present
by Richard M. Hogan
[/b]
[/quote]
Excellent choice.

[i]Credo for Today[/i], by Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger (Pope Benedict XVI), published by Ignatius Press- 2009.

[i]The Foundation of Religious Life: Revisiting the Vision, [/i]by the Council of Major Superiors of Women Religious, published by Ave Maria Press- 2009

I (miraculously!) found a copy of [i][b]The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ[/b][/i] by Anne Catherine Emmerich & [i][b]The Fathers[/b][/i] by Pope Benedict XVI at my local public library!

Currently reading the first and am so amazed by how descriptive it is. Although I know it isn't to be believed in the same way as Scripture, it really does open your heart to Jesus' sufferings. I hope everyone gets a chance to read this.

[quote name='holly.o' timestamp='1289149248' post='2185553']
I (miraculously!) found a copy of [i][b]The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ[/b][/i] by Anne Catherine Emmerich & [i][b]The Fathers[/b][/i] by Pope Benedict XVI at my local public library!

Currently reading the first and am so amazed by how descriptive it is. Although I know it isn't to be believed in the same way as Scripture, it really does open your heart to Jesus' sufferings. I hope everyone gets a chance to read this.
[/quote]
two excellent choices!

• 2 weeks later...

Verbum Domini, New Apostolic Exhortation of Pope Benedict

Dialogues of Saint Catherine of Sienna. These are really excellent. And easy to read. Leisurely. And very insightful. My take on it is that they are a mix of private revelations and personal insights/meditations.

The Religion of Teilhard de Chardin, by Cardinal Henri de Lubac. Lubac analyzes Chardin's works in light of Tradition, Scripture, Magisterial teachings, and Catholic theology in general. Interesting. Lubac is an immense intellect. I dont understand why so many people are so critical of Chardin. His work is flawed but he has some good theological insights. Pope Benedict quoted him in one of his sermons, and has favorly quoted him in several of his books before he became Pope. I guess it is because of the Monitum from over fifty years ago. Maybe some people shouldnt read him because they are too dumb.

fides quarens intellectum

[i]Quo Vadis[/i] by Henrik Sienkiewicz.

Fiction, but really makes you think about the details of what it may have been like for the persecuted Christians in Nero's Rome.

just read an old article by Ratzinger in a book store, he wrote a long time back:

Eschatology and Utopia.

It was o.k. not exactly what I was looking for though.

[quote name='Isaac77' timestamp='1288983771' post='2185227']
[b]Dissent From The Creed: Heresies Past And Present
by Richard M. Hogan
[/b]
[/quote]
I agree that's a great book.

I am currently reading my Canadian citizenship test book.