An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Reading?

Nathan

[i]The Ignatius Study Bible
The Glory of Christendom
Christ the King, Lord of History
No Man is an Island
Paradise Lost [/i]
and [i]The Catnappers[/i], by PG Wodehouse, for fun.

onlygrace08

I am currently reading:

The Imitation of Christ- Thomas a Kempis
Truth and Tolerence- Cardinal Ratzinger
St. Benedict- Mary Fabyan Windeatt (it is from a children's series on Saints... I absolutely love them for their simplicity)
My Beloved: The Story of a Carmelite Nun- Mother Catherine Thomas (I just stumbled upon this one today at our parish library and I absolutely love it!!)

I am also planning on starting to reread The Story of a Soul very soon.

God Bless

Anna

brandelynmarie

I have been wanting a copy of [u]My Beloved[/u] for a VERY VERY long time....I think I'm a smidge jealous (or is it envious?) LOL

I'm reading a book about deliverence called [u]Unbound[/u] & I got a copy of JPII's [u]Rise, Let Us Be On Our Way[/u] for a $1.00 at a dollar store.... :D:

Oh, shoot! Are book titles supposed to be underlined or in italics?

Edited by brandelynmarie

phatcatholic

i just started reading [i]Father Brown of the Church of Rome: Selected Mystery Stories by G.K. Chesterton[/i], Edited and with an Introduction by John Peterson.

its great!! such a great break from the academic and theological books that i usually read. Chesterton is such an amazing storyteller :book:

missionseeker

[u][i]Fr. Brown[/i][/u] books - :twothumbsup:

I just got done reading
[u]Sex and the Sacred City [/u] by Steven Kellmeyer.

It was good but I was looking for a TOTB book for a friend that is having a hard time understanding why contraception is wrong. This book was reccomended for it but it only had about a parargraph on it. :idontknow:
I don't want to get one that is too hard for her to understand or that I don't think would help her so I'm reading them all first. I don't want it too thick because I don't think that she likes to read. She's going into 11th grade. And I don't want it to be too expensive because I'm not even sure that she would read it. lol.

Fides_et_Ratio

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1000127' date='Jun 8 2006, 12:14 AM']
[u][i]Fr. Brown[/i][/u] books - :twothumbsup:

I just got done reading
[u]Sex and the Sacred City [/u] by Steven Kellmeyer.

It was good but I was looking for a TOTB book for a friend that is having a hard time understanding why contraception is wrong. This book was reccomended for it but it only had about a parargraph on it. :idontknow:
I don't want to get one that is too hard for her to understand or that I don't think would help her so I'm reading them all first. I don't want it too thick because I don't think that she likes to read. She's going into 11th grade. And I don't want it to be too expensive because I'm not even sure that she would read it. lol.
[/quote]
Go for Christopher West's book, "The Good News About Sex & Marriage"-- it's easy to read because it's in question and answer format. And it has a whole chapter on contraception. ;)

thessalonian

Just read a book called Loving Jesus which is a compendium of talks Mother Teresa gave. Quick read but very thought provoking on how to love! I highly recommend it. This woman had some insight. duh.

Fides_et_Ratio

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1000339' date='Jun 8 2006, 11:30 AM']
does anyone know if George Weigel has written a book exclusively on TOTB? :huh:
[/quote]
:idontknow: I only know of 4 of his books-- "The Truth of Catholicism", "Witness to Hope", "Letters to a Young Catholic" and "God's Choice". Does he have more?

:idontknow: none of those are exclusively about TOTB. he writes so well about it in [u]Letters[/u] that i just figured he had written about it extensively

phatcatholic

all things George Weigel:
[url="http://www.ratzingerfanclub.com/Weigel/"]http://www.ratzingerfanclub.com/Weigel/[/url]

Fides_et_Ratio

[quote name='phatcatholic' post='1001339' date='Jun 9 2006, 04:28 PM']
all things George Weigel:
[url="http://www.ratzingerfanclub.com/Weigel/"]http://www.ratzingerfanclub.com/Weigel/[/url]
[/quote]
Wow!

He's been a LOT busier than I thought he was!!