An Old School Catholic Message Board

Formal Debates

Brother Adam

The Shover Robot

I prefere the debate style where after making their arguments, the participants enter the Thunderdome and settle their differences Mad Max style.

Kilroy the Ninja

I prefere the debate style where after making their arguments, the participants enter the Thunderdome and settle their differences Mad Max style.

I'm all for that!!

"Let's get ready to RUMBLE!!!!!!"

Two may enter, one may leave....

The Shover Robot

Wait!!! You could make it formal by having the debaters wear black tie. That would be sweet.

Brother Adam

The first debate will be a discussion on Sole Fida. First person to post "ME, ME, PICK ME!!!! :ph34r: " gets to be on the "agianst Sole Fida" side.

hyperdulia again

I would, but my post would come down to one sentence "faith w/out works is dead".

Edited by hyperdulia again

Chrysologus

I think that Baptists and Catholics might be able to come to a reasonable agreement about this issue without either side admitting it is wrong, like we did with the Lutherans a few years ago. The problem is really in defining the word "faith." If I debated, I would be more apt to show how we're both right, much like how both James 2:14-26 and Romans 4:1-12 can be right without contradicting each other. I think reaching agreement whenever possible is more productive than attempting to assert one viewpoint over another.

Brother Adam

Then that is what you are welcome to address. Remember the conclusion of a debate is "I believe I am right because". You can't really say "I am right". It is up to your silent audience to judge for themselves what makes the most sense, what was spoken in love and faith, and what God would want them to hold to.