An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sisters of Life

veritas99

I am leaving Minnesota on Thursday to fly out for a retreat with the Sisters of Life that runs from thursday-monday. I would really appreciate your prayers. This will be my second visit out there. I know God is calling me to religious life, now it's jsut a matter of which community. I have been out to Ann Arbor three times to visit the Sisters of Mary,Mother of the Eucharist. That is where God seems to be leading me. I have such joy and peace there and it's hard to explain but it's like being home but when I was out to visit the Sisters of Life God was doing something in my heart there.Something that I can even begin to put in words. I talked with Sr.Mary Gabriel, their vocations director, and told her I don't think that this is necessarily where God is leading me but I know he's not done with me yet with this order. She recommeded that I come on their retreat so here I go. I have jsut been praying for openness and clarity. So we shall see what the Lord has in store.
When I was in Ann Arbor in May, the postulants were giving me a hard time about visiting out there. They are convinced that I am coming to Ann Arbor. Which is very possible but I need to be patient and wait on the Lord. Please pray that I can be open to whatever God has for me during my time with the Sisters of Life even if it means that's where he wants me.

magnificat

[quote name='veritas99' post='988136' date='May 23 2006, 10:51 AM']
I am leaving Minnesota on Thursday to fly out for a retreat with the Sisters of Life that runs from thursday-monday. I would really appreciate your prayers. This will be my second visit out there. I know God is calling me to religious life, now it's jsut a matter of which community. I have been out to Ann Arbor three times to visit the Sisters of Mary,Mother of the Eucharist. That is where God seems to be leading me. I have such joy and peace there and it's hard to explain but it's like being home but when I was out to visit the Sisters of Life God was doing something in my heart there.Something that I can even begin to put in words. I talked with Sr.Mary Gabriel, their vocations director, and told her I don't think that this is necessarily where God is leading me but I know he's not done with me yet with this order. She recommeded that I come on their retreat so here I go. I have jsut been praying for openness and clarity. So we shall see what the Lord has in store.
When I was in Ann Arbor in May, the postulants were giving me a hard time about visiting out there. They are convinced that I am coming to Ann Arbor. Which is very possible but I need to be patient and wait on the Lord. Please pray that I can be open to whatever God has for me during my time with the Sisters of Life even if it means that's where he wants me.
[/quote]
God bless you on your trip! I'm excited that you'll be visiting them again. I pray that God will grant you the grace to hear wherever he is calling you to. My friend Bridget will be there as well, so if you see her, tell her hi from Stephanie.

God Bless YOU on your journey, he will lead you wherever He is calling you....I will pray that you have an open heart....God Be With You!

Ali

Will pray that you contine to grow in your desire to serve our dear Lord. He will let you know where you belong, just have faith!

MissScripture

Oh my gosh! I just met some Sisters of Life on Friday. One of my friends was going on that retreat, too! They are AMAZING women, who do INCREDIBLE work!

[quote name='magnificat' post='988280' date='May 23 2006, 12:01 PM']
God bless you on your trip! I'm excited that you'll be visiting them again. I pray that God will grant you the grace to hear wherever he is calling you to. My friend Bridget will be there as well, so if you see her, tell her hi from Stephanie.
[/quote]

I met bridget, She is a great woman, we swapped e-mail addressed and are going to keep in touch.

The retreat was amazing. I prayed a lot before hand praying for openess and clarity. I prayed that the Lord would let me know if this is the community he wanted for me ( even though I wanted Ann Arbor) I asked not for signs but for a conviction of heart and that is just what he did. I think that this is where God is calling me and so that's what I will be pursuing. I am jsut leaving myeslf open to whatever God wants so we shall see how this all unfolds.

[quote name='MissScripture' post='991584' date='May 27 2006, 06:07 PM']
Oh my gosh! I just met some Sisters of Life on Friday. One of my friends was going on that retreat, too! They are AMAZING women, who do INCREDIBLE work!
[/quote]

Who was your friend going on the retreat? It was a small retreat so I met everyone. Was it Alicia by any chance?

Veritas,

Praise be to Jesus Christ for such a Spirit-filled retreat. It sounds like you had the opportunity to talk with the Lord, as well as get to know some of the other women on the retreat. Please feel free to share more, if you feel comfortable.

I pray--especially in this time approaching Pentecost--that the Spirit fills your heart and mind with love and conviction!

:)

MissScripture

[quote name='veritas99' post='992822' date='May 30 2006, 10:49 AM']

Was it Alicia by any chance?
[/quote]
Yup.

Edited by MissScripture

magnificat

[quote name='veritas99' post='992822' date='May 30 2006, 10:49 AM']
I met bridget, She is a great woman, we swapped e-mail addressed and are going to keep in touch.

The retreat was amazing. I prayed a lot before hand praying for openess and clarity. I prayed that the Lord would let me know if this is the community he wanted for me ( even though I wanted Ann Arbor) I asked not for signs but for a conviction of heart and that is just what he did. I think that this is where God is calling me and so that's what I will be pursuing. I am jsut leaving myeslf open to whatever God wants so we shall see how this all unfolds.
[/quote]

Veritas,

I'm so excited that you met Bridget...she's one of my best friends! It sounds like you had a great time. I will keep you in my prayers and that God's will will become your will as well. Keep us posted on how things go.

Yeah, I feel totally comfortable sharing. There was soo much time for prayer on the retreatwhich was sooo good. I love Eucharistic Adoration and I take time each day. I spend at least an hour everyday in Adoration and somtimes I jsut need more. There was plenty of time with the Lord on the retreat which was so good. The retreat was from thurs-monday- Friday was a prayer day. Their community spends everyday as a prayer day which means the whole day is pretty much spent in silence with extended time of Eucharistic Adoration. Mother Agnes gave 6 talks on their life and how their specific charism ties into how they live out their four vows. IOn friday I met wwith Fr.Larry, a freind of the community who was there most of the retreat. We chatted about my discernment and the orders I was looking at. He gave me a lot to think about. I spent pretty much the whole day in the chapel praying and listening to the Lord, I also readthrough their constitution. the lord was chilseling away at my own desires. I realized that I have been forcing Ann Arbor and ahven't been really open to what the Lord wants andhe showed me that this is where he is calling me, to the Sisters of Life. I wasn't happy about that ( don't get me wrong I lvoe them) but I wanted to be a Dominican. I prayed and thought about why that was and it was all exteriors and I realzied the Lord was drawing my heart to New York ( I'm a midwest girl , N.Y. scares me) The Lord showed me that this is where he wants me and I said yes.
My meeting with Mother Agnes went very well. She is an amzing woman I had no anxiety adn was
very open and honest with her. Which I haven't been with Mother Assumpta because I am kind of intimidated by her. I told Mother Agnes that I think this is where God is calling me. She said that was wonderful and that they would love to have me. She said that she will keep me in her prayers and we will see together what the Lord has in store. So as things stand now I am suppose to give Sr.Mary Gabriel ( vocations director) a call in mid july to set up a visit. They will have their schedule done by then. So I will sometime in the fall fly out to New York and stay at the formation house for a long weekend.
Yeah so keep me in your prayers. I ahve a lot of peace about t his. It is a real deep peace and joy that I can't even begin to explain. It's all rather exciting, it will be neat to see what the Lord has in store. I will keep y'all posted on how thing s go through out all of this.

magnificat

That is so great! I've visited them before on a come & see retreat. I love the sisters! It sounds like God was really working on your heart this weekend.
I'm looking foward to visiting them again in July! :)
Continued prayers for you!

ThyHolyLove

I'm so glad you had a good time with them, they are awesome! I spent some hours with them yesterday volunteering and it was great! They had Sr. Mary Elizabeth's feastday and Mother Agnes is visiting today so they needed some help. Also, today is their foundation day, they are 15 years old aaaand the postulants get the habit today!

Rock on Sisters of Life!

Yup today is Foundation day for them. They started in 1991. They have 8 postulants that will receive the habit and their new names today. Keep them in your prayers they are wonderful women.

magnificat

Oh yeah! I'd forgotten about that!! Ooooh...that'll be weird when I visit because I know their names from before!