An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sisters of Life

veritas99

[quote name='magnificat' post='994806' date='Jun 1 2006, 03:43 PM']
Oh yeah! I'd forgotten about that!! Ooooh...that'll be weird when I visit because I know their names from before!
[/quote]

Yeah it will be weird. Beth is one of my friends best freind. Beth was the maid of honor. It was funny, the first time I was out there we just stared at each other trying to figure out where we knew each other from. Then it came to us.

I can't wait to find out what there new names are. I don't even have any guesses.

magnificat

How cool! I have 2 friends who were FOCUS missionaries at the college campus where Beth was before entering! Small world!

FutureSoror

Are the Sisters of Life, by any chance, in Rome at the first vespers of Pentecost? The camera keeps coming back to these sisters that sure look like them!

I'm not sure. It sounded like they were all going to be in New York but it's possible.

the new novices are leaving on June5th for a trip to Canada to visit a Shrine of St.Joseph I don't know too much about it excoet that I think they said it was started by Blessed Andre Bessette. they are pretty excited for this opportunity.

Oh yeah by the way, would y'all mind keeping me in your prayers this week as I organzine my thoughts and pray through my time spent with the Sisters of Life because I will be meeting with my spiritual director on wednesday to discuss all that has happned this past month with my trip to Ann Arbor at the beginning of the month and my retreat witht he Sisters of Life at the end of the month. Like I said, I think God is calling me to the Sisters of Life but I still have much discerning to do as I look a the two communities and their different charisms

[quote name='veritas99' post='996584' date='Jun 4 2006, 02:53 PM']
The new novices are leaving on June5th for a trip to Canada to visit a Shrine of St.Joseph I don't know too much about it excoet that I think they said it was started by Blessed Andre Bessette. they are pretty excited for this opportunity.
[/quote]
:clap: I've been there. Bl. Andre was a Brother of Holy Cross. (I went to a Holy Cross run college.) And when I went to Montreal a few years back, we went to the Oratory. It was pretty cool. It was also on that trip that I ran into the Nashville OPs (again), and first met the DSMME!

[quote name='veritas99' post='996584' date='Jun 4 2006, 02:53 PM']
Oh yeah by the way, would y'all mind keeping me in your prayers this week as I organzine my thoughts and pray through my time spent with the Sisters of Life because I will be meeting with my spiritual director on wednesday to discuss all that has happned this past month with my trip to Ann Arbor at the beginning of the month and my retreat witht he Sisters of Life at the end of the month. Like I said, I think God is calling me to the Sisters of Life but I still have much discerning to do as I look a the two communities and their different charisms
[/quote]
Prayers, prayers, and more prayers. If you open your heart, the Lord can really get to you as a result of spiritual direction--at least, that's what happened to me last week!!! :topsy: And I owe God nothing but THANKS! The Holy Spirit really spoke to me through my SD, and I feel confident that He'll do the same for you this coming week.

Prayers of strength and clarity in your continued discernement. :)

Edited by shortnun

[quote name='magnificat' post='997603' date='Jun 5 2006, 02:10 PM']
Prayers for you! Do you think you might apply to enter the Sisters of Life this fall?
[/quote]

No It will be for next year, I graduate from the University of St.Thomas in St.Paul Minnesota December 15th, this year. Two days before my 26th birthday. I'll have about $8,000 in loans to pay back so I will spend that time of January-august working to be debt free. So we're shooting for Spetember of 2007. A friend of mine will be entering the Sisters of Life this September. She was with the CFR's for awhile a few years ago. She left and acame back to St.Paul and then was going to be going back in August of last year but decided that that's not where God was calling her. Now she will be with the Sisters of Life

Are you looking at this order? I think you said you are headed out there in July?? If so you'll have to let me know what the novices names are.

magnificat

Awesome! You have my prayers!

Yes, I am looking at this order...I love them a lot, but we'll see if it's God's will for me. I'll be headed out in July to visit them again and I'm super excited about it.

My friend who you met on the retreat is going over July 4th weekend with her parents so that they can meet so she's going to fill me in on their new names, if she can remember them! ;) I'll let you know what she finds out!

[quote name='magnificat' post='998907' date='Jun 6 2006, 08:23 PM']
Awesome! You have my prayers!

Yes, I am looking at this order...I love them a lot, but we'll see if it's God's will for me. I'll be headed out in July to visit them again and I'm super excited about it.

My friend who you met on the retreat is going over July 4th weekend with her parents so that they can meet so she's going to fill me in on their new names, if she can remember them! ;) I'll let you know what she finds out!
[/quote]

Awesome, God's will will be done. I will definetly keep you in my prayes as well. So Bridget is heading back out there to visit with her family? that will be great. What do her parents think about all this?

I wish I could get my parents to visit and meet some of the Sisters. I think it would make it a bit easier on them. Hopefully when I enter somewhere eventually they will come with when I enter. We shall see. I have lots of praying to do for them in the mean time

magnificat

I'm in the same boat as you...but my parents are not happy about any of this, but my SD says that's not that unusual for people our age and that usually the parents come around eventually when they see how happy their child is in whatever order God calls them to....so we'll see if time helps. Bridget's folks are relatively okay with it so far as I can tell...praise God!

How are your parents with your vocation?

The nice thing about the Sisters of Life is their strong focus on family so their home visit policy allows for more frequent visits than other orders...which is a huge issue for my folks...

magnificat

Once you're professed, you get 12 days every year. During your postulant year, you get to go home briefly after Christmas and just before you enter the novitiate in June, if I remember correctly. No home visits during the 2 year novitiate, but I think your family can come visit and I think you can write. I can't remember right now how often your family can come visit.
Veritas, do you know?

[quote name='magnificat' post='1001115' date='Jun 9 2006, 08:08 AM']
Once you're professed, you get 12 days every year. During your postulant year, you get to go home briefly after Christmas and just before you enter the novitiate in June, if I remember correctly. No home visits during the 2 year novitiate, but I think your family can come visit and I think you can write. I can't remember right now how often your family can come visit.
Veritas, do you know?
[/quote]

As a postulant you go home Deecember 26th until like the 30th. And then again in May for about 4-5 days. Yeah during the 2 years in the novitiate you aren't able to go home but your family can come twice a year. It's about every month and a half they have a visiting day at the convents so that your family can come to visit but as a noivce, only twice. Mother Agnes said that the visiting days are great because they are opening up their home ,the convent, to invite your family into theirs. Family is very important in building the culture of life. Also for those whose families are far away they might get an extra day with their family because their family might only be able to come out about once a year.

My parents aren't all that thrilled wwith all of this but they are trying. My dad is doing really well with it and wasn't surprised when I told him. My mom on the other hand is holding on to the hope that I will change my mind. Many religious have assured me that whne God calls someone to religious life he gives that call to their family as well and pours out the grace of the vocation upon them. They said it makes a big difference when your parents see with your community and see that your happy. They do a lot better when they've met some of the members of that community. We shall see, I totally trust God and I offer up a Rosary everyday for my parents conversion and that they can desire what God desires for me.

Sr.Monica Fasutina, with the Sisters of Life, has been a tremondous blessing. She also is an only child so we have chatted a lot about parents and such. She told her parents a couple weeks before entering. She's been with the Sisters of Life for 10 years and her parents have growen so much. Her dad goes to adoration everyday and mass. Her mom is still aways off but id coming around.

My parents are freaked out by the whole /New York thing and the fact that they can't jsut visit whenever or pick up the phone and call me, which is understandable. My mom asked me," weren't you looking at an order in Ann Arbor? They're a lot closer." I told her yes I am still looking at them as well but I b elive the Lord is leading me to the Sisters of Life.