An Old School Catholic Message Board

A little help if you could...

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='williamb' post='995995' date='Jun 3 2006, 02:58 AM']
The pink sisters also have convents in Lincoln, Nebraska and in Texas. The Passionists have 5 US convents.
[/quote]

Missouri has a Passionist convent I believe. It's part of the St. Louis Diocese site on their contemplative sisters.
BTW don't forget the Good Shepherd Contemplatives.
Also there are at least 12 Benedictine monasteries which are fully contemplative.

Edited by williamb

[quote name='williamb' post='996032' date='Jun 3 2006, 07:48 AM']
Missouri has a Passionist convent I believe. It's part of the St. Louis Diocese site on their contemplative sisters.
BTW don't forget the Good Shepherd Contemplatives.
Also there are at least 12 Benedictine monasteries which are fully contemplative.
[/quote]

:duh: I can't believe I forgot Missouri! Someone I know was accepted to enter there, but she hasn't due to family problems.

As I said, I don't cover the "undercover" nuns. The habit is what the Lord wants. A discerner I worked with looked at the OSBs in Missouri, and after she started attending the Latin Mass, wouldn't have anything to do with them.

I had developed a monastic tour of St. Louis, but we moved before I could implement it.

Blessings,
Gemma

In addition to what Angela is working on for me, I have a list of 200 communities in spreadsheet format. We will be posting al of them to the Conference Website during the summer. Thanks to all who are assisting Angela, we need Prayer Warriors to open the minds and hearts of teens, young adults and parents.

[quote name='MikeZakYm' post='996047' date='Jun 3 2006, 09:06 AM']
In addition to what Angela is working on for me, I have a list of 200 communities in spreadsheet format. We will be posting al of them to the Conference Website during the summer. Thanks to all who are assisting Angela, we need Prayer Warriors to open the minds and hearts of teens, young adults and parents.
[/quote]

That's what our Cloisterites will be doing--offering everything for the increase of cloistered vocations.

Blessings,
Gemma

ThyHolyLove

Sorry to be a bummer, but the Newark monastery of the Dominican Nuns closed in 2003. It is now a formation house for the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal.Also, the Washington D.C. sisters are moving to Virginia and building a new monastery.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='ThyHolyLove' post='996099' date='Jun 3 2006, 11:32 AM'] Sorry to be a bummer, but the Newark monastery of the Dominican Nuns closed in 2003. It is now a formation house for the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal.Also, the Washington D.C. sisters are moving to Virginia and building a new monastery. [/quote] Thank you! :)

franciscanheart

The idea about a convent database is a great one! That would be really great.

FutureSoror

[quote name='the_rev' post='996016' date='Jun 3 2006, 05:57 AM']
I think the Carmelites in New Franken and Denmark are one in the same convent. They just built a new convent (for four or five sisters; this convent cost 12 million dollars I think) and now are only in denmark. Now dont' quote me, but I think this accurate.
[/quote]

They did move from the New Franken address to Denmark. The convent is one of the most beautiful things I've seen in my life; I got to tour it before they moved. My understanding is that there are more than five sisters. Someone who is fairly close to them told me 12, I think. I was surprised, though, because that's more than what I'd heard. I've heard them sing the divine office before, and their voices sounded young. (You can't see them even through the grate because of the way the chapel is positioned.)

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Gemma' post='995993' date='Jun 3 2006, 04:38 AM'] Visitation nuns in Washington, DC? I know there used to be one in New York City or thereabouts (NOT the Second Federation Brooklyn monastery--I'm talking a First Federation monastery).

When did this happen? To which federation do they belong?

Blessings,
Gemma [/quote]Well, it is the Georgetown Monastery... here is there website... I may have just assumed that they were Visitation Nuns...
[url="http://www.georgetownvisitation.org/"]http://www.georgetownvisitation.org/[/url]

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Gemma' post='995999' date='Jun 3 2006, 05:20 AM'] Passionists-- Erlanger, KY; Whitesville, KY; Pittsburgh, PA.

Blessings,
Gemma [/quote]What is the address for the Pittsburg Nuns?

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='magnificat' post='995581' date='Jun 2 2006, 03:25 PM'] There's also the [b]Poor Clares[/b] in St. Louis, MO...no webpage, [/quote]They do have a little slice of web space: [url="http://www.poor-clares.org/stlouis/st-louis.html"]http://www.poor-clares.org/stlouis/st-louis.html[/url]

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Okau, I added some more and also made some corrections per your information... These are just Women's communities... If there are more additions that should be included or corrections, feel free to tell me! :) Thanks all! (This list isn't entirely different than the first one... it just has a bit more added to the bottom... I have not included some communities still... it isn't the complete women's list yet...)

[b]
[/b]

[b]Discalced Carmelite Nuns[/b]

Ada Parnell, MI

Alexandria, SD

Alhambra, CA

Arlington, TX

Buffalo, NY

Baltimore, MD

Barrington, RI

Beacon, NY

Carmel, CA

Cleveland Heights, OH

Clinton Township, MI

Concord, NH

Covington, LA

Dallas, TX

Danvers, MA

Denmark, WI

Des Plaines, IL

Eldridge, IA

Elysburg, PA

Erie, PA

Eugene, OR

Flemington, NJ

Georgetown, CA

Hialeah, FL

Iron Mountain, MI

Indianapolis, IN

Jackson, MS

Jefferson City, MO

Kaneohe, HI

Kensington, CA

La Plata, MD

Lake Elmo, MN

Lafayette, LA

Latrobe, PA

Little Rock, AR

Littleton, CO

Louisville, KY

Loretto, PA

Morristown, NJ

Mobile, AL

New Caney, TX

Pewaukee, WI

Pittsford, NY

Philadelphia, PA

Piedmont, OK

Reno, NV

Roxbury, MA

Saint Louis, MO

Salt Lake City, UT

San Antonio, TX

San Diego, CA

San Francisco, CA

San Rafael, CA

Santa Clara, CA

Santa Fe, NM

Savannah, GA

Schenectady, NY

Seattle, WA

Sioux City, IA

Springfield, MO

Sugarloaf, PA

Terre Haute, IN

Traverse City, MI

Valparaiso, NE

[b]Sister Adorers of the Precious Blood[/b]

Brooklyn, NY

Watertown, NY

Portland, ME

Lafayette, IN

Manchester, NH

[b]Dominican Nuns[/b]

Marbury, AL

Los Angeles, CA

Menlo Park, CA

North Guilford, CT

Washington, DC

Lockport, LA

West Springfield, MA

Farmington Hills, MI

Ortonville, MI

Camden, NJ

Summit, NJ

Union City, NJ

Bronx, NY

Buffalo, NY

Elmira, NY

Syracuse, NY

Lancaster, PA

Lufkin, TX

Milwaukee, WI

[b]Passionist Nuns[/b]

Whitesville, KY

Erlanger, KY

Ellisville, MO

Pittsburgh, PA

[b]Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters[/b]

Saint Louis, MO

Philadelphia, PA
Lincoln, NE
Corpus Christi, TX

[b]Visitation Nuns[/b]

Mobile, AL

Snellville, GA

Tyringham, MA

Philadelphia, PA

Rockville, VA

Brooklyn, NY

Washington, DC

Toledo, OH

Frederick, MD

[b]Poor Clare Colettine[/b]

Minooka, IL

Rockford, IL

Belleville, IL

Kokomo, IN

Cleveland, OH

Santa Barbara, CA

Roswell, NM

[b]Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration[/b]

Hanceville, AL

Portsmouth, OH

Cleveland, OH

Washington, DC

Phoenix, AZ

[b]Capuchin Poor Clares[/b]

Denver, CO

Wilmington, DE

Amarillo, TX

[b]Poor Clares[/b] [i](OSC and other Poor Clares if not known)[/i]

Boston, MA

Saint Louis, MO

Los Altos Hills, CA

Newport News, VA

Columbus, NJ

Langhorne, PA

Memphis, TN

New Orleans, LA

Wappingers Falls, NY

Omaha, NE

Aptos, CA

Sauk Rapids, MN

[b]Augustian Nuns[/b]

New Lenox, IL

[b]Handmaids of the Precious Blood[/b]

Jemez Springs, NM

[b]Nuns of Perpetual Adoration[/b]

San Francisco, CA

[b]Sacramentine Nuns[/b]

Scarsdale, NY

melikalani

I can vouch for the orthodoxy of both the Discalced Carmelite Nuns of Santa Clara and the Poor Clare Nuns of Los Altos Hills. :)

They are both great communities... and growing! Each cloister added 2 postulants last year, thanks be to God! :lol_grin: :lol_grin:

Discalced Carmelites by the rules of St. Theresa can only have at most 21 members to a monastery. This was/is to keep a family type atmosphere in a house of prayer.

Marieteresa

Schenectady and Pittsford Carme merged last year so now they are all at Schenectady. Also FYI there are a few Carmels that have more than 21 sisters.....They have to obtain permission from the Holy See to be able to have more sisters.