An Old School Catholic Message Board

questions, questions, questions......

Domine ut Videam

Domine ut Videam

So.....I'm on an inquiring streak again. What do you all know about [url="http://www.hjep.org/"]this[/url] order? Check it out and let me know what you all think. :D

-Yours in Christ
Lauren

puellapaschalis

Praying for priests is a wonderful charism. Their habits are almost scarily eye-catching!

Love and prayers,

PP

They're of the Maronite Rite. The words of the consecration during their Mass is in Aramaic, which is what Jesus spoke.

Yes, the Maronite Rite is in full communion with Rome.

Blessings,
Gemma

Domine ut Videam

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1010392' date='Jun 22 2006, 11:18 AM']
Their habits are almost scarily eye-catching!

[/quote]

???

Smile_Jesus_loves_you

nice looking, but then any order really is....
i'm not called to contemplative life...too loud and gods will point's a whole nother direction.

They look lovely! :) What colour are the habits? I can see white, brown and red?? Are you discerning with them, Lauren? I'll keep you in my prayers.

And Gemma, do you know if the Maronite rite has theological differences with Rome? or are they perfectly in communion? only with different Liturgies?

[quote name='Domine ut Videam' post='1010370' date='Jun 22 2006, 11:31 AM']
So.....I'm on an inquiring streak again. What do you all know about [url="http://www.hjep.org/"]this[/url] order? Check it out and let me know what you all think. :D

-Yours in Christ
Lauren
[/quote]

I saw their foundress on Mother Angelica Live once about 8 years ago. They may have the program available for purchase. I know this is not much, but............

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1010392' date='Jun 22 2006, 12:18 PM']
Praying for priests is a wonderful charism. Their habits are almost scarily eye-catching!

Love and prayers,

PP
[/quote]

Their habits are "scarily eye-catching"??? What an odd comment!

Domine ut Videam

[quote name='KatS' post='1010946' date='Jun 23 2006, 11:30 AM']
Lauren, thanks for posting the info for this monastery. I just e-mailed them.
[/quote]

Your welcome......keep me posted. I am going to as well.

And no, in answer to all of your questions, i am not discerning with this order [i]yet[/i]. I hope to contact them soon.

-Yours in Christ
Lauren

[quote name='memtherose' post='1010789' date='Jun 22 2006, 10:53 PM']
They look lovely! :) What colour are the habits? I can see white, brown and red?? Are you discerning with them, Lauren? I'll keep you in my prayers.

And Gemma, do you know if the Maronite rite has theological differences with Rome? or are they perfectly in communion? only with different Liturgies?
[/quote]
There are no Theological differences. They're as Catholic as the Pope! :)

fwiw, I've been to a Maronite Mass. It was officiated by Fr. Pacwa. In my limited experience with rites other than the Novus Ordo (Tridentine, Anglican Use, Maronite) it was the most different. Not different as in bad, just different.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='OLAM Dad' post='1011083' date='Jun 23 2006, 05:15 PM']
There are no Theological differences. They're as Catholic as the Pope! :)

fwiw, I've been to a Maronite Mass. It was officiated by Fr. Pacwa. In my limited experience with rites other than the Novus Ordo (Tridentine, Anglican Use, Maronite) it was the most different. Not different as in bad, just different. [/quote]Divine Liturgies are wonderful :) I've been to a Ukrainian Catholic Church for Old Christmas (In Ukraine...) and it was beautiful... 3 hours standing too...

josefamaria

The several Masses I attended at the National Shrine of Our Lady of Lebanon were beautiful. Their "sign of peace" is very sacred---not like the Roman Rite at all. Not to say that the Roman Rite isn't sacred but I have seen some real "whoop de dah's"---people are still waving and shaking hands half way thru the Agnus Dei.

Edited by josefamaria

Domine ut Videam

So i have a general question...........

I have just turned 17 and am fairly certain (like 98%) that I have a vocation (contemplative, i have discerned) to the religious life. However, i haven't contacted any communtities yet...because my family is still rather uncomfortable with the idea of "losing me forever". (not my words, theirs) They think that i will cease to be a member of the family.....and while yes, physically this is the case, spiritually, i hope that we will grow. But i would like to contact some communities, maybe even some carmelite communties (which of course would be cloistered and give my parents cardiac arrest), but i don't want to hurt my family or go against their wishes. I have been praying for them for over three years.....for God to give them the grace that they might see that this is what brigns me true happiness, that all i want is to be with God......and they do want me to be happy. And they are not against my vocation per se; they are just not so hopped up on the contemplative/cloistered end of the spectrum.

What would you all do? Do any parents have any advice? I really feel that by contacting these communites i would be deserting my family.......but i feel that that is what my heart is telling me to do.....but i don't know.........

Thanks so much in advance.

-Yours in Christ
Lauren

memory-singer

[quote name='Domine ut Videam' post='1011902' date='Jun 25 2006, 08:33 AM']
So i have a general question...........

I have just turned 17 and am fairly certain (like 98%) that I have a vocation (contemplative, i have discerned) to the religious life. However, i haven't contacted any communtities yet...because my family is still rather uncomfortable with the idea of "losing me forever". (not my words, theirs) They think that i will cease to be a member of the family.....and while yes, physically this is the case, spiritually, i hope that we will grow. But i would like to contact some communities, maybe even some carmelite communties (which of course would be cloistered and give my parents cardiac arrest), but i don't want to hurt my family or go against their wishes. I have been praying for them for over three years.....for God to give them the grace that they might see that this is what brigns me true happiness, that all i want is to be with God......and they do want me to be happy. And they are not against my vocation per se; they are just not so hopped up on the contemplative/cloistered end of the spectrum.

What would you all do? Do any parents have any advice? I really feel that by contacting these communites i would be deserting my family.......but i feel that that is what my heart is telling me to do.....but i don't know.........

Thanks so much in advance.

-Yours in Christ
Lauren
[/quote]

Hi Lauren,

I am not a parent but have been in a similar situation with my parents (and I am 27 and haven't lived at home since high school.)My suggestion is that you talk with your priest/spiritual director about how to proceed. (DO PROCEED) God loves your parents even more than you do. They will not fall out of his hands. I am trying to talk my parents into a visit with the community I'm discerning with. I figure If Mother Mary Anne can handle me, she can deal with them.

Love and prayers,

Dare