An Old School Catholic Message Board

Superman "un-American"

cappie

Superman "un-American"

July 2, 2006

SUPERMAN is under fire for being un-American.

Controversy has erupted because the superhero is no longer fighting for the American way.

Superman's well-known mantra of fighting for "truth, justice and the American way'' has been dropped in the new film Superman Returns because writers were concerned it would turn off international audiences.

The phrase has been part of the Superman myth since being first heard in the 1940s Superman radio series.

It continued through the 1950s television series starring George Reeves and the 1978 movie with Christopher Reeve.

But in Superman Returns, which was filmed in Australia, the famous phrase is reduced to "truth justice and all that stuff'' and is only mentioned by fictional Daily Planet editor Perry White.

Superman Returns co-writer Dan Harris said the "American way'' was no longer appropriate for today's Superman.

"The world has changed,'' Harris said.

"The world is a different place. The truth is he's an alien. He was sent from another planet. He has landed on the planet Earth, and he is here for everybody. He's an international superhero.''

Harris said the "American way'' may now be misinterpreted by foreign audiences.

But the end of the American way has angered critics, especially right-wing bloggers who have claimed the change has been made to pander to the anti-American film markets.

Superman Returns, which stars unknown Brandon Routh, has already attracted controversy over claims the main character was "too gay'' in the movie.

The Sunday Telegraph

indescribable

i like that Era Might. Quite funny.

i heart Kevin Spacey as an actor. i can't wait to see it!

It's a good thing he doesn't fight the Canadian way. He would just be sitting around with a beer all the time complaining that it is too cold out.

Pontifite 7 of 10

Or the Austrialian way, he would probably be the Super version of Steve Irwin.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Socrates' post='1016328' date='Jul 2 2006, 08:20 PM']
Yet another example of political-correctness run mad.

The movie sucked.
[/quote]
I liked it. There were a couple things that were in not the greatest taste, but on the whole, I think it was good.

[quote name='Raphael' post='1016331' date='Jul 2 2006, 06:27 PM']
I liked it. There were a couple things that were in not the greatest taste, but on the whole, I think it was good.
[/quote]
Superman was a deadbeat dad. I thought that really sucked, and detracted from Superman's heroism. What kind of "hero" fathers a kid, then abandons both mother and child to fly about the galaxy to pursue his own self-centered goals? Superman came across as just a big dork, both as Clark Kent and Superman. He seemed morally weak and lost. And wouldn't it make sense for Supes, after fathering a potential super-kid, to take some time to provide him with some fatherly guidance in the use of his powers?
And why did the kid appear so weak and sickly? Was that just a ruse? There was a lot that was left unexplained and undeveloped.

Ash Wednesday

I'm still pretty bitter about the new Superman movie because Singer left the X-men series to do it, and therefore X3 turned out to be such a :censored: movie.

I always thought Superman was really kinda questionable and light in the loafers, anyway. I mean at least Batman looks cool in the black leather. I never knew what to make of Superman's lovely blue leotards, and don't get me started with Clark Kent. What a dweeb.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Socrates' post='1016336' date='Jul 2 2006, 08:37 PM']
Superman was a deadbeat dad. I thought that really sucked, and detracted from Superman's heroism. What kind of "hero" fathers a kid, then abandons both mother and child to fly about the galaxy to pursue his own self-centered goals? Superman came across as just a big dork, both as Clark Kent and Superman. He seemed morally weak and lost. And wouldn't it make sense for Supes, after fathering a potential super-kid, to take some time to provide him with some fatherly guidance in the use of his powers?
And why did the kid appear so weak and sickly? Was that just a ruse? There was a lot that was left unexplained and undeveloped.
[/quote]

*spoilers*

Well, although I would agree that his extra-marital sex with Lois (which resulted in the child) was bad, that took place in the second movie, not the fifth, so it was expected. However, he's not a deadbeat dad. He didn't know the child was his and everyone was telling him about how it was the other guy's. How was he to know? In case you didn't know, he erased Lois' memory after the second movie and all the pain she went through. It's no surprise that she wouldn't tell him the child was his...she didn't remember ever sleeping with him. Therefore, since neither Lois nor Superman knew that the child was his, he wasn't knowingly abandoning mother and child. Therefore, he didn't know that he'd fathered a super-kid and wouldn't know to give fatherly guidance. Neither would Lois know to nag him to do so. As for the kid's weakness, no, it wasn't a ruse. If you read the comic books, his powers are separate, not a complete whole. One child can get them all, one can get a few, one can get none, etc. They're separate genetic traits. This one only seems to have gotten strength.

I was really underwhelmed when I first saw the trailer a few months ago. Haven't seen anything since that would make me want to go see the movie.

If a summer blockbuster can't get your goosebumps up with the trailer (Spiderman, Lord of the Rings, etc), you know it's gonna be a clunker.

frozencell

[quote name='Era Might' post='1016135' date='Jul 2 2006, 12:21 AM']
Superman should be deported.

THAT'S the American way.
[/quote]

I shall laugh about this for the rest of the day and probably most of the rest of the week! In fact, I shall copy and paste this so that it may always make me laugh whenever I need one! Thank you and God bless.

PS. Regarding the movie, it was a money driven decision, not this false caring about people's feelings that they're trying to front. Hypocrites!