An Old School Catholic Message Board

Rosary as a necklace?

StMichael

[quote name='God Conquers' post='1024045' date='Jul 13 2006, 09:08 PM']
My stance has always been this:

A Rosary must always be used as a Sacramental i.e.: You're praying it, have prayed it recently, or will pray it soon.

If this is the case, put it on your neck, in your pocket, around your wrist, etc. carry it however you need to.

If it's there as ornamentation only... no no no.
[/quote]

Maybe not as an ornamentation on your person, but what about rosaries in car windows? Tons of good Catholics do that and I've never heard anyone saying anything against it. What about little rosary bracelets, or rosaries you hang on your wall? I know the rosary is a sacramental, something that opens you up to more grace when you use it, but where does the line begin and end? If someone wants to wear a rosary as a statement of faith (which you should never underestimate) then what's wrong with it? It's a great conversation starter, and if you get persecuted for the sake of the Name, then more power to you. Saying that a rosary should only be prayed upon and worn for the purpose of being prayed upon later or for the reason of having just prayed upon it and you don't know where else to put it, I don't know, that might be losing opprotunities to share your faith.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='StMichael' post='1023845' date='Jul 13 2006, 04:28 PM']
The other day I was in a supermarket and a HS aged cashier (male) was wearing a Rosary around his neck.

In all my life, I have not seen that (other than madonna the harlot).

Any ideas if this is proper or respectful?
[/quote]

I remember once I woar one around my neck when I was very young my grandma smacked me in the back of my head, told me take that off it's disrespectul to wear it like that. To bad Grandma aint around to talk to your cashier....

[quote name='misereremi' post='1024101' date='Jul 14 2006, 06:27 AM']
:huh: Maybe banned at some schools. Rosaries have been a fashion statement among non-Catholics here for years. So much so that some major secular fashion stores sell plastic rosaries as an accessory (I had a :madrant: about it in a store once). If someone wants a rosary, let them go to a Catholic source and learn what it's about. What upsets me is the new "trend" in removing the cross from them. :(

Rosaries are given out in prisons (usually the glow-in-the dark white rosaries). Some people wear them to show they identify with how Our Lord was treated like a criminal.

I see it as an opportunity to tell people what the rosary is really for and if this brings them closer to conversion then it's great. Hopefully after we explain what they are for, they will try to pray it or at least realise it is not just a necklace.
[/quote]

Yeah, places like Topshop, River Island and the like. A few years ago I did do this, but I didn't think there was much wrong with doing it, and I felt quite ‘safe’. But upon reading up on it I noticed it was pretty much frowned upon. Also, there were sometimes where I had to cover it up in case of any…altercations shall we say!