An Old School Catholic Message Board

Rosary as a necklace?

StMichael

The other day I was in a supermarket and a HS aged cashier (male) was wearing a Rosary around his neck.

In all my life, I have not seen that (other than madonna the harlot).

Any ideas if this is proper or respectful?

brendan1104

Usually not proper. It shouldn't be used as a necklace.

[quote name='StMichael' post='1023845' date='Jul 13 2006, 06:28 PM']
The other day I was in a supermarket and a HS aged cashier (male) was wearing a Rosary around his neck.

In all my life, I have not seen that (other than madonna the harlot).

Any ideas if this is proper or respectful?
[/quote]

I've seen it done too. It's good and holy to evangelize so openly I suppose, but I think it's a bit disrespectful.
However, I don't think there's a rule about it.

I wouldn't really mind people wearing them if it weren't so apparent that they don't even know how to pray one, or even care to learn. :(

Hmm, been googling this and I'm seeing that it is outright banned in the UK and the religious never wear it around their necks here in the US.

I'm gonna see if I can't find something that really states if this is acceptable, if it is not, I will make sure I pass that info along to that guy.

MissScripture

I was always taught that it was disrespectful, but never really given a reason. I think mostly because that's not what it's meant for. It's not meant to be a personal adornment.

indescribable

in Mexico, it's very common to see children with rosaries around their necks. i think it depends on the region one lives in.
i think as a fashion accessory, it's terrible. one of my friends had one on the other day and i asked him over and over again to take it off, but he wouldn't comply. now what do you say to that? he didn't care that i was offended.

I was reading on the C.F.R. site once that the Brothers call wearing a Rosary around your neck Bronx style, I understand that they give a lot of them away to the homeless, the poor and the streetpeople and that this is where they usually wind up at is around their neck... I dont think it is proper, but I have to believe that having a Rosary on your person whether around your neck or in your pocket is better than no rosary at all.... Although I have never seen anyone do this personally, if I ever did I wouldnt hesitate to compliment them on their Rosary, and then ask them which mysterys they like the best, they will either have an answer for you, or it gives you a great chance to teach someone about the Rosary...

God Bless and Keep
hermit

salveregina

Rosary as fashion statement is never a good idea.

Rosary as prayer is always a good idea.

Depends on the motivation of the wearer.

God Conquers

My stance has always been this:

A Rosary must always be used as a Sacramental i.e.: You're praying it, have prayed it recently, or will pray it soon.

If this is the case, put it on your neck, in your pocket, around your wrist, etc. carry it however you need to.

If it's there as ornamentation only... no no no.

melporcristo
:)
Well, at Franciscan, a lot of us wear rosaries.
In fact, I have mine on right now, which is a rosary made of rope with a scapular on both ends. My good friend made it for me [yes, I have the Scapular blessed & installed].
Many of the Filipino's make the Rosary/Scapulars to wear also.
I don't see anything wrong with this act of devotion since like Hermit said, it's better than not wearing any religious article at all and definately gives us the chance to witness about a true devotion to Our Lady & praying the Rosary.

[quote name='StMichael' post='1023872' date='Jul 14 2006, 12:17 AM']
Hmm, been googling this and I'm seeing that it is outright banned in the UK[/quote]

:huh: Maybe banned at some schools. Rosaries have been a fashion statement among non-Catholics here for years. So much so that some major secular fashion stores sell plastic rosaries as an accessory (I had a :madrant: about it in a store once). If someone wants a rosary, let them go to a Catholic source and learn what it's about. What upsets me is the new "trend" in removing the cross from them. :(

Rosaries are given out in prisons (usually the glow-in-the dark white rosaries). Some people wear them to show they identify with how Our Lord was treated like a criminal.

I see it as an opportunity to tell people what the rosary is really for and if this brings them closer to conversion then it's great. Hopefully after we explain what they are for, they will try to pray it or at least realise it is not just a necklace.

[color="#009900"][b]I saw both lay and religious persons at the National Shrine in D.C. wearing rosaries around their necks a la March for Life. I don't see how it's any different than rosary around the wrist/through belt loops if it's done out of devotion, rather than desire to by stylish.[/b][/color]