An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hey all you mothers

Lil Red

what questions should i ask the midwife when i go in for my first appointment tomorrow? i don't know what to ask! :idontknow:

homeschoolmom

Well, I don't really know. I've never had a midwife. But I suppose you will want to know if she would do the delivery or someone else? (Doctors either do their own patients' delivery or you get whoever's on call) I tend to think midwives do their own.

Depending on how far along you are ( :woot: ), she may try to listen to the baby's heartbeat with the doplar. If she can't hear it, IT'S OKAY! It's not uncommon to not hear it on the first visit.

She will probably give you lots of information. If you don't have any pressing questions, just go and don't worry. You can always ask her next time.

IcePrincessKRS

I didn't have any either... in fact, I think through both of my pregnancies I only had like 2 questions, and in the end they were probably pretty dumb. lol One of them was one of the "I'm getting this pain, WHAT THE HECK IS IT???" because it was in a really strange spot---she said baby fingers poking me most likely and that it was really normal... I forget the other question I had, probably something equally minor. lol

I hope you really enjoy the midwife experience. Will you be trying for a home birth or hospital? I always found that the midwives were really informative, and even on my second pregnancy told me all sorts of things about the particular week/stage I was in. Even if I had already heard or read it before it was nice to know that they actually cared enough to cover it.

One thing I never cease to be surprised about is how hard they push on your abdomen. That first push around the bladder can be a real shocker. lol Its one of those things that make you jump a little because you expect it, but you don't. You can also expect to have to pee in a cup and have probably about 4-5 small vials of blood taken.

Umm.... I can't think of anything else right off the bat...

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1024699' date='Jul 14 2006, 04:17 PM']I didn't have any either... in fact, I think through both of my pregnancies I only had like 2 questions, and in the end they were probably pretty dumb. lol One of them was one of the "I'm getting this pain, WHAT THE HECK IS IT???" because it was in a really strange spot---she said baby fingers poking me most likely and that it was really normal... I forget the other question I had, probably something equally minor. lol

I hope you really enjoy the midwife experience. Will you be trying for a home birth or hospital? I always found that the midwives were really informative, and even on my second pregnancy told me all sorts of things about the particular week/stage I was in. Even if I had already heard or read it before it was nice to know that they actually cared enough to cover it.

One thing I never cease to be surprised about is how hard they push on your abdomen. That first push around the bladder can be a real shocker. lol Its one of those things that make you jump a little because you expect it, but you don't. You can also expect to have to pee in a cup and have probably about 4-5 small vials of blood taken.

Umm.... I can't think of anything else right off the bat...
[/quote]thanks :blush: i felt kinda dumb. we will be trying for a home birth :topsy:

oooh red, i'm totally jealous :D: i would love to do a home birth but my husband isnt' the brave one (and for good reason, i suppose :rolleyes:)

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='kateri05' post='1024893' date='Jul 14 2006, 11:55 PM']
oooh red, i'm totally jealous :D: i would love to do a home birth but my husband isnt' the brave one (and for good reason, i suppose :rolleyes:)
[/quote]

We're the opposite. My husbands family has had alot of home births--1 sister and 2 sisters in law (for a grand total of 15 kids)--so he's totally comfortable with the idea, wouldn't have a problem assisting in the delivery or anything like that... I'm just chicken. I know midwives have certain medical equipment that they bring along with them, you're not totally removed from some of what one might consider necessary, but still... I guess its a comfort zone thing.

I was born at home, but just because I came out too quickly. My dad delivered me, and when we reached the hospital, all the interns wanted to talk to him because I was a footling breech. Fortunately, I was easy.

I would suggest tp ask:

-What her beliefs are about pain control and make sure you are on the same page.
-What she does if their are pregnancy complication
-how much does she charge
-how many babies has she helped deliver, and how many of these had complications
-Why she decided to become a midwife
-If she is Catholic/Christian/Buddhist etc. (This makes a big difference to me, maybe if it doesn't to you you could skip this one)
-How much support she will give you throughout the pregnancy (daily calls, weekly calls, monthly visits)
-if there is a particular doctor that she works with
-if there is a particular hospital that she works with

I would also be sure to ask for references.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='prose' post='1025375' date='Jul 16 2006, 11:44 AM']
I would suggest tp ask:

-What her beliefs are about pain control and make sure you are on the same page.
-What she does if their are pregnancy complication
-how much does she charge
-how many babies has she helped deliver, and how many of these had complications
-Why she decided to become a midwife
-If she is Catholic/Christian/Buddhist etc. (This makes a big difference to me, maybe if it doesn't to you you could skip this one)
-How much support she will give you throughout the pregnancy (daily calls, weekly calls, monthly visits)
-if there is a particular doctor that she works with
-if there is a particular hospital that she works with
I would also be sure to ask for references.
[/quote]

oooh, those are good. None of them even occurred to me! I suppose partly because they explained most of them on my first visit when I was just checking the place out, and the doctor I'm going to be seeing now I'm slightly familiar with--I know what direction I want to go in so it wasn't such a concern, I suppose. With those questions in mind you may also want to work up a birth plan, a sort of list of how you'd like things at your delivery done: pain killers, if so what types are you ok with, episiotomy--I'd say avoid it if you can, and I think midwives are better at helping you relax during pushing so you can avoid this, I managed not to have to have it done with either of my girls, home vs. hospital, who you want there, etc. Those type of things that may seem a long way off right now, but they should be thought about and discussed with your doc/midwife (obviously). The midwives I went to were at least most of them Christian, but a few were totally hippy-ish and probably questionable religious views, we never really talked about it except on one occasion one of them asked what my scapular was. The thing I have found with all midwives is even if they give you the option of using artificial birth control they don't push it, and they truly see their vocation as delivering babies. I'll probably think of more random things later...

My 3 were delivered by midwives, it's the way in our hospitals. But we get whoever's on call when we come in. In our birthplans we also include things like mobility and positions for labour, if we want access to the birthing pool/bath, if we want essential oils or other natural pain relief, the lights dimmed, music playing, labour partners praying, all sorts of things.

Here they really do listen to your wishes. If you've put "absolutely no epidural" in your birthplan they do stick to this. An important thing for me is how they handle the third stage or delivery of the placenta, for me I want it done slowly and not sped up by injection. And another one is who will be your labour partner/s. Although my husband has been there, he wasn't as much help as my sister, so I give them "roles" in advance. ;) And whether you want your baby given straight to you or cleaned up first. I always just wanted to hold the baby to me first. Oh, and who will cut the chord (that was hubby's role). I go on babycenter.com and get my personalised pregnancy timeline...

But these are more things for the birthplan rather than questions to the midwife... I hope you're enjoying your pregnancy Lil Red! :)