An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hey all you mothers

Lil Red

Anyone can give blessings. Haven't you ever gone up for communion and not partaken? Then the Extraordinary Minister can give you a blessing.

I think it was appropriate to belly bless :) Afterall, they bless children, and isn't that a child in there?

(Sorry to take the other side )

homeschoolmom

Okay... theology and liturgical practice aside... It's bad form for this reason: If people start making a practice of blessing strangers' bellies. at some point some non-pregnant woman is going to get her belly fat blessed. :ohno:

Reminds me of a conversation I witnessed in college between a fellow student and a professor. The prof (a sweet little old Cuban lady) asked the student, "Oh, are you expecting?" To which the student replied, "No, just fat."

[quote name='prose' post='1109762' date='Nov 3 2006, 08:23 AM']Anyone can give blessings. Haven't you ever gone up for communion and not partaken? Then the Extraordinary Minister can give you a blessing.

I think it was appropriate to belly bless :) Afterall, they bless children, and isn't that a child in there?

(Sorry to take the other side )[/quote]well, my first hesitation is that i'm not comfortable with strangers touching my belly, nevermind the blessing. and my second hesitation is that i was told EMHC may not bless anyone. i'll see if i can find documentation.
[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1109767' date='Nov 3 2006, 08:27 AM']Okay... theology and liturgical practice aside... It's bad form for this reason: If people start making a practice of blessing strangers' bellies. at some point some non-pregnant woman is going to get her belly fat blessed. :ohno:

Reminds me of a conversation I witnessed in college between a fellow student and a professor. The prof (a sweet little old Cuban lady) asked the student, "Oh, are you expecting?" To which the student replied, "No, just fat."[/quote]yeah, there's that too

[quote name='prose' post='1109762' date='Nov 3 2006, 08:23 AM']
Anyone can give blessings. Haven't you ever gone up for communion and not partaken? Then the Extraordinary Minister can give you a blessing.

(Sorry to take the other side )
[/quote]i found this from ewtn.com and am searching for more documentation:

[quote]Eucharistic minister can't give a blessing?
Question from on 02-17-2005:
Are Eucharistic Ministers not allowed to give a blessing to someone they know is "without a doubt" not Catholic, while withholding Communion? (Does the blessing have to be from the priest?)

In a recent answer, you told the poster who is a Minister of Communion what to say to (without a doubt) a non-Catholic while withholding communion and you included in your answer "...or a blessing...".

I thought ANYone could come up for a blessing, Catholic or not? Please explain your answer. Thank You!

Answer by Colin B. Donovan, STL on 03-21-2005:
[b]Extraordinary Ministers of Communion have no power to bless, ever. So, the issue of Catholic versus non-Catholic is irrelevant to the matter in their case. A priest or deacon could choose to gvie a blessing if they wanted.[/b]

I might note that in recent development, Cardinal Rigalli of Philadelphia instructed even the clergy not to continue this practice. The liturgical blessing is sufficient without individual private blessings in the Mass. I think that as customs go the blessing by the clergy at communion of non-communicants, especially children, is relatively harmless, but that the Cardinal's decision is absolutely correct liturgically.[/quote]

IcePrincessKRS

^^^ Thats whats always been my understanding about blessings. I would have been a little bothered about it if an EMHC had blessed my belly, too... touched if it had been the priest, but coming from a layperson it just doesn't seem right.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1109784' date='Nov 3 2006, 08:54 AM']^^^ Thats whats always been my understanding about blessings. I would have been a little bothered about it if an EMHC had blessed my belly, too... touched if it had been the priest, but coming from a layperson it just doesn't seem right.[/quote]exactly :pinch: although having the priest do it might have freaked me out a little too

• 2 weeks later...

so i think we are settled on names. what do you all think? (not that it really matters, :hehe:)

for a boy: dominic axel (dominic for st. dominic and axel was my dh's grandfather's name)

for a girl: cecelia helen (both are saints names; cecelia for my grandmother cecil and helen for my other grandmother)

[quote name='Balthazor' post='1120106' date='Nov 14 2006, 04:16 PM']axel is a cool name.....
So is dominic.....

You better have a boy because he will be like the coolest kid with that name!

Dominic Axel[/quote]it's a very strong, masculine name :) that's why i like it
[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1120111' date='Nov 14 2006, 04:21 PM']My friend just named her baby Cecelia...[/quote]i know, it's pretty popular right now, but my dh and i like 'celia' as a nickname instead of 'cece'

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1120113' date='Nov 14 2006, 06:23 PM']
i know, it's pretty popular right now, but my dh and i like 'celia' as a nickname instead of 'cece'
[/quote]
:bow: