An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hey all you mothers

Lil Red

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1026136' date='Jul 17 2006, 01:58 PM']
:lol_roll: no, i get to do both! :P: course, that's not as exciting as it sounds, since he's coming home tomorrow, and will leave again 4 days later, come home, leave again, and repeat until end of August.

plus, right now, walking is out because we are having a lot of smoke from the wildfires in our area.
[/quote]

Is he on tour? Is he considering retiring his balls now that there's a baby on the way?

Birgitta Noel

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1026141' date='Jul 17 2006, 02:08 PM']
Is he considering retiring his balls now that there's a baby on the way?
[/quote]

I'm sure LR wants more than just one Jamie! :ninja:

homeschoolmom

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1026141' date='Jul 17 2006, 02:08 PM']
Is he on tour? Is he considering retiring his balls now that there's a baby on the way?
[/quote]
:shock: You do that on purpose, don't you?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1024665' date='Jul 14 2006, 01:26 PM']
what questions should i ask the midwife when i go in for my first appointment tomorrow? i don't know what to ask! :idontknow:
[/quote]

I'm an MD myself, have delivered babies, had our two in a hospital with Lamaze. Epidurals weren't available on demand in my day, 30 and 27 years ago. They were full-term but small, larger 6 lbs 12 oz.

I trained INTENSIVELY with Lamaze for my natural births, but wouldn't recommend it for anyone who didn't train intensively also. I had my husband pinch my thighs HARD-- to the bone, while I breathed thru these simulated contractions--that sort of thing. I had bruises up and down both thighs when I delivered.

Childbirth is seriously painful --I mean writhing in agony during transition painful--and unless you've had lots of dental work without lidocaine, been hung by your pecs in puberty rituals, etc. I would seriously consider have epidural anesthesia at least available, guaranteed. Childbirth deserves its reputation. I know that occasionally babies fall out, people have no labor pain, etc. but for the vast majority of us children of Eve, it hurts like bloody hell.

I would not deliver at home. It doesn't matter how 'favorable' your position is--they can't tell in early stagesanyway. If there's trouble, you have exactly FOUR MINUTES from the time the cord is compromised to get the baby OUT OF THE MOTHER. I know that there's a lot of anecdotal evidence out there are carefully controlled studies about delivering at home, but each case is individual and if something preventable happened, you would never forgive yourself. I would not rely on the anecdotal stories of others AT ALL. People will do more research on buying a car than they will in preparing for pregnancy and childbirth.

My niece by marriage was going to deliver with a midwife. She went into labor and labored all night at home without the midwife. In the AM she was 3 cm--she had gotten nowhere. They went to a hospital, had her membranes ruptured, a pitocin drip and epidural, and she stilll labored 12 more hours, finally delivering a 5.5 lb baby! She now likes to brag about her '47 hour' labor, largely brought on by herself. If she had been in a hospital with an obstetrician, her failure to progress and intervention would have been diagnosed a lot faster, with much less pain for herself. But my 6'1" niece delivered her first baby, weighing 9 lbs. at home in 3 hours! You can never tell, but you want to be in the best possilbe position to head off any complication for baby and mother and undue suffering for the mother. More people are like niece #1 than like niece #2.

[quote name='jkaands' post='1030932' date='Jul 26 2006, 05:23 AM']
I would seriously consider have epidural anesthesia at least available, guaranteed. Childbirth deserves its reputation. I know that occasionally babies fall out, people have no labor pain, etc. but for the vast majority of us children of Eve, it hurts like bloody hell.
[/quote]
I have a phobia of epidurals, which as far as I know is now the most used form of relief here. I figured if women coped for centuries without them, then I should be able to manage. I've had three long agonizing labours (one was induced).

I did use gas and air (entonox) which isn't really effective pain relief, but helps to numb the senses...

(Btw does anyone know if the Church has a position on pain relief in labour?)

IcePrincessKRS

As far as I know there is no official position on pain relief during labor coming from the Church, I don't really see why there would be. She doesn't prohibit pain killers. ;)

I, too, and terrified of the idea of an epidural. In fact, thats one reason I am really loathing a real hospital birth, I don't want them pressuring me into it (some people may argue that that doesn't happen, but it DOES). I thank Jesus that I have been lucky enough to have short enough labors that I can avoid pain meds altogether. It hurts like the dickens, sure, and we all go into pregnancy knowing that it will (I mean, seriously, who thinks labor is going to be a cakewalk?), but gosh, its not THAT terrible. If it were no one would do it more than once!

Oh, and with my first pregnancy I DID go through the 5-6 weeks of childbirth classes, and you know what I did with it? Threw it out the window when I gave birth, both times. My mind and body knew better what to do to cope than anything they taught us in those classes. Take them, they may even be required since this will be your first labor, but to an extent take them with a grain of salt, too, because when the time comes those techniques may not help you one iota.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='misereremi' post='1031002' date='Jul 26 2006, 04:07 AM']
I have a phobia of epidurals, which as far as I know is now the most used form of relief here. I figured if women coped for centuries without them, then I should be able to manage. I've had three long agonizing labours (one was induced).

I did use gas and air (entonox) which isn't really effective pain relief, but helps to numb the senses...

(Btw does anyone know if the Church has a position on pain relief in labour?)
[/quote]

I think the question would refer to Eve having pain in childbirth and thus all women should have pain in childbirth. When ether was first used in labor many people were up in arms that women would be relieved of their pain.

As for the "women did without for centuries so therefore we should too" comment.... women died in childbirth for centuries-- I'm not excited about replicating the way it used to be....

That said, I didn't have epidurals during my first two deliveries-- I did with my third (it was the middle of the night). I could go either way. All of my labors were short.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1026051' date='Jul 17 2006, 11:25 AM']
Meh, it's not that big of a deal.
[/quote]

It was for me! Then again, I pushed out a ten pound watermelon and tore all the way through :shock: :><:

homeschoolmom

Oh, THAT'S A HUGE DEAL!

PS didn't your mother warn you not to swallow the watermelon seeds?

I should have listened!!

As for the epidural, both my labors were TERRIBLE and loooooong. I was induced twice and Anna was almost 3 days, and Michayla was 2. And that is with having HARD contractions two minutes apart the whole time.

So, I went with the epidural both times, I tried to last until I couldn't do it anymore. With Anna, it was great. With Michayla, it didn't work on 1/2 of my body, so it was still excrutiating (that's the one I tore with)!

As far as I know, there is no teachigns against epidurals. I know people who claim that they want to feel the pain because it is Eve's punishment. :rolleyes: But there is nothing saying you can't have an epidural. I also know many women (I am one of them) that gives my pain up in labor to pray for the conversion of family and for the souls in purgatory - I do this whenever I feel pain. My theory is, why feel pain for no reason or purpose??