An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cassocks vs. clerical suit

DAF

So what's the deal with cassocks? Are seminarians/priests not allowed to wear them anymore? Is it just not the style? Can a seminarian/priest wear one if he wants? Is it up to the local bishop?

It seems like everybody's abandoned the cassock for the clerical suit...what happened? :detective:

brendan1104

DAF- Cassocks are still allowed, and generally they are worn by orthodox/conservative/traditional priests. Some dioceses don't allow them, just as they don't allow clerics due to dangerous situations, and it's basically taboo in liberal areas like Los Angeles or Erie. In America, clerical suits have generally always been more popular than cassocks, which is sad. But some priests and seminarians, thanks be to God still wear them. When I enter the seminary or a religious order I will always wear the cassock or a habit. Hope this helps.

[quote name='DAF' post='1025164' date='Jul 15 2006, 09:13 PM']
So what's the deal with cassocks? Are seminarians/priests not allowed to wear them anymore? Is it just not the style? Can a seminarian/priest wear one if he wants? Is it up to the local bishop?

It seems like everybody's abandoned the cassock for the clerical suit...what happened? :detective:
[/quote]

I suppose I'll have to ask my bishop what the deal with our diocese is. I saw a seminarian runnign around in the cathedral earlier today, and he was wearing one. It sort of gave me hope. Me no know, we'll see I guess.

They're definitely not banned, but the only time I've noticed them in Montreal was when the Austrian priests (along with their group) were here for days in the diocese 2002, and at a confirmation when Mgr Coyle was wearing one with piping (under his vestments, visible after mass).

I've been told that it is not the norm in our diocese, but there is a few priests who wear them. I'm partial to cufflinks, so if I'm a priest, I probably will wear a suit with a cufflinks shirt, toomey, etc.

The priests at my church wear cassocks for everything, and usually clerics if they're relaxing...I've actually only seen our deacon wear regular clothes once, and that was because we were at the beach and they wash their cassocks once a month so he didn't want to get it dirty.

[quote name='DAF' post='1025164' date='Jul 15 2006, 09:13 PM']

[/quote]

It is a matter of style and taste. However, there is legislation dictating the manner in which a priest is to dress, generally within the United States. This was made clear at the 1884 Third Plenary Council of Baltimore (Traditionally the moderators of the Plenary Councils have been given to the Archbishop of Baltimore).

What was legislated was this, on church campus the priest was to wear the cassock. When leaving campus he was to wear a smock coat and trousers, with the Roman collar. I suppose through time, this evolved with the rest of stylings to the modern clerical suit. However, the cassock is still the official vestiture of priests and seminarians.

So, it is odd in the United States to see the cassock outside of the church campus, however, it was expected that he wear it while on the grounds. This has never been altered.

CatholicCid

[quote name='brendan1104' post='1025167' date='Jul 15 2006, 07:23 PM']
and generally they are worn by orthodox/conservative/traditional priests.[/quote]

As they say, Clothes don't make the man. :sweat:

However, I prefer the cassock as well, so if I entered the Priesthood, I'd prefer to wear one too Brendan :ninja:

littleflower+JMJ

cassock, cassock, cassock! lol

my parish priest wears them all the time and I always tell him that it rocks. And that he also looks like St. John Bosco when I see him! lol

homeschoolmom

I've seen both of our priests in cassocks (they do rock, btw), but only on special occations. I think I saw one priest wearing one while leading the Stations and I don't remember the occation of the other.
Edit to add: I remember now. It was All Saints Day.

Edited by homeschoolmom

Many of the new young priests in my diocese wear cassocks. It kind of shows how the younger generation is getting more traditional. My priest now who is around 40 or something always tells us everything old is new again.

at St Charles Borromeo Seminary, cassocks are commonly worn by both the priests and seminarians-- except for us religious seminarians

Definately not something that's banned! Most of the priests and seminarians I know wear cassocks when they are involved in liturgy (Mass, Divine Office, etc.). Outside of that, it depends on what else they're doing that day.

[quote name='DAF' post='1025287' date='Jul 16 2006, 01:28 AM']
Cam, is the priest permitted to wear the cassock off parish grounds?
[/quote]

I suppose that he could. There is nothing that explicitly forbids it. However, it is not the norm in the United States to do so. It never has been. If you watch movies about priests made before the Council, you'll see that what I have described is the normative action.

I know an older priest who would say that while he could wear his cassock whereever he wanted, he didn't, not only because of respect for the Plenary Council, but also because it simply wasn't fashionable to wear the cassock off the church grounds, unless it were necessary, ie. trips to the cemetery, and nursing homes, or to other parish functions where he wasn't the celebrant. The Monsignor still wears his cassock today, even though he is in a Catholic assisted living home.

Before anyone gets all "whatever" about the fashionable part of this post, it is a matter of fashion and it always has been. The cassock itself is a stylized version of more ancient clothing which has carried over.