An Old School Catholic Message Board

Openly Gay Priest

Lil Red

Hey I was wondering if anyone saw this Nightline on Friday night. I just caught the tail end of it where the priest was saying (about the USCCB's condemning the Supreme Court's decision about the sodomy law) that it is a pervasive attitude of non-acceptance and non-tolerance of gay people.

This is what the USCCB said that the priest was responding to:

"The Catholic Church teaches, in agreement with other faith traditions and with what were once the norms generally accepted by society, that sexual activity belongs to the marital relationship between one man and one woman in fidelity to each other. This relationship is the basis of the family which is the basic unit of society. Respect for the purpose of human sexuality and the family needs to be reaffirmed in our society; and anything which reduces respect for them � such as yesterday's Supreme Court decision � is to be deplored."

Any thoughts out there? It sounds like to my that this priest is way out of his boundaries and not really understanding what the Church is saying.

BTW here's the link to Nightline: Nightline

Edited by Lil Red

hyperdulia again

Sodomy laws are silly and un-enforceable. perhaps i missed something, but i didn't see the openly gay part. is he keeping his vows?

Hyper, I'm not sure. Like I said, I only caught the last couple of minutes of it, so I don't have a very informed opinion. I'm hoping tomorrow Nightline will update their page so I can read/watch the whole interview. I was just wondering if anyone else saw it.

hyperdulia again

coolio. this is probably the last time i'll read this thread---gay threads, phatmass, and me don't mix well. :)

Good Friday

I think the priest should probably be laicized, and it has nothing to do with homosexuality. If he disagrees with the teaching of the Church (whether that teaching is on homosexuality, abortion, euthanasia, contraception, et al) he has no business being a priest. We don't need priests who disagree with the Church, that's not their job. We need priests who are willing to stand up for what the Church teaches and evangelize humanity with that teaching. He's not doing that, so he needs to go.

Just my two cents. ::climbs down off my soapbox::

We need priests who are willing to stand up for what the Church teaches and evangelize humanity with that teaching.

Mega dittoes!!!!!

Chrysologus

The media has an uncanny way of finding dissident Catholics to voice their opinions as if they were ground-breaking revelations which no sane man could truthfully contradict.

littleflower+JMJ

The media has an uncanny way of finding dissident Catholics to voice their opinions as if they were ground-breaking revelations which no sane man could truthfully contradict.

yup! the meida is very biased and way out their in their views and they'll do anything to find that one person who agrees with their dumb agenda and do what they just did, interview him.....always be skeptical about what you see on TV and take everything with a couple of grains of salt!

and nathan i agree with you 100%!

+JMJ

MORight2Life

Other denoms call their preachers priests too...

:lol: I was reading really fast, and thought you said, "Other demons call their preachers priests too...", and was like, "Wha...?!" :)

:lol: ...Eesh...I need caffine.... :lol:

Be God's!

-Michelle B)

You took the words right out of my mouth.

And might I add..... :lol:

That those Catholics who dissent from Church teaching are always scrambling for a microphone or bull horn to tout their dissent!

Good Friday is right. If this dissenter is a practicing Roman Catholic priest, he should be defrocked, or at least ordered to silence.

Who cares what Fr. Dissenter has to say? Why not tell the public what the Church has to say on the matter? (The media's fav passtime is Catholic-bashing, that's why.)

Pax Christi. <><