An Old School Catholic Message Board

"The Habit of Rainbows"

AlterDominicus

AlterDominicus

You know I was SURE I thought I saw about every colored habit in the world, until now........................................................... :disguise: :detective:

[img]http://www.stlvocations.org/Extreme_Living/Images/hs_adoration.jpg[/img]

PINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:blink: :blink: :shock: :shock:

They are called [url="http://www.holyspiritadoration.org"]Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters[/url]

What an upside down world this is! :topsy: :topsy:

They're just lovely. They're praying for my ill aunt, too. I enjoy their chapel here in St. Louis. Very peaceful and quiet.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1052094' date='Aug 28 2006, 09:00 AM']
But they wear gray habits when they go out...
[/quote]

They DO?! Why? Besides, they don't go out too much do they? Aren't they cloistered?

she_who_is_not

I think jgirl posted about them a long time ago, saying they wore gray habits to see the pope when he was in St. Louis. I'll try to find it.

I've seen 'pink' sisters before, I never knew their name until now though. Very interesting. I would absolutely hate wearing pink everyday, but, the colors aren't the reason you choose the order, err, the order chooses you :)

+

From their website:

"The rose color of our habits, which we wear in honor of the Holy Spirit, symbolizes our dedication to the Third Person of the Blessed Trinity. Evangelization and the sanctification of priests are particularly remembered in our life of prayer, which includes the singing of the Liturgy of the Hours (Divine Office) in choir."

[url="http://www.holyspiritadoration.org/webpages/index_about_us.htm"]http://www.holyspiritadoration.org/webpage...ex_about_us.htm[/url]

They are AWESOME and when you look at the reasons -you CAN'T diss the Pink!! :)

Edited by Veritas

The Pink Sisters are what I start with when discussing the cloistered life. Usually a jaw-dropping experience for them. "They wear pink!" they exclaim.

And some negative poster (whose post was deleted) said the colors of our SOLC proposed foundations made a mockery of religious life. Every color we're going to be using is already in use--including green. This poster thought all habits should be black.

Blessings,
Gemma

I wonder why black? That's a bit odd, but maybe that poster had a reason to it. I'm sure that anyone would overlook the colors, I'm just not a fan of pink but that wouldn't matter anyday.

[quote name='uruviel' post='1052455' date='Aug 28 2006, 11:24 PM']
I wonder why black? That's a bit odd, but maybe that poster had a reason to it. I'm sure that anyone would overlook the colors, I'm just not a fan of pink but that wouldn't matter anyday.
[/quote]

The poster posted under a pen name, and I think I know who it was. If it's who I'm thinking, they're a reject from a convent that wore black.

Generally speaking, the colors mean:

white--purity; joy
black--penance; grief; death to the world
red--Precious Blood; martyrdom; Sacred Heart
blue--Our Lady
purple--St. Joseph; penance; St. John Francis Regis
green--hope; St. Jude
brown--penance; poverty; Mt. Carmel
burgundy--royalty; combination of Jesus & Mary's colors
pink--joyful anticipation
yellow and white--the majesty of Almighty God
grey--penitence

I think I've covered all the bases.

Blessings,
Gemma

Wow, Gemma, what an awful thing to say about a person. . . 'they're a reject from a convent. . .' Regardless of a person's situation, that's rather harsh.

[quote name='Gemma' post='1052145' date='Aug 28 2006, 02:43 PM']
This poster thought all habits should be black.
[/quote]
That's silly. Everybody knows that habits are supposed to be brown. Sheesh, what a dummy...

[quote name='OLAM Dad' post='1052742' date='Aug 29 2006, 08:44 AM']
That's silly. Everybody knows that habits are supposed to be brown. Sheesh, what a dummy...
[/quote]

Well, all of the cool ones anyway. :cool: ;)

Edited by zunshynn

some communities, wear black still......some also wear brown, white, grey, pink, blue, and i think i am forgetting a color or two....oh well

The martyrs wear Black, grey and/or white.
Dominican's wear white, however some branches of Dominicans wear another color such as brown for the SSEW, blue for the sisters of life.

the daughters wear blue habits and so does other communities as well.

carmelites wear brown, duh!

and etc, etc. i think you get the picture by now!!!